Plate ribs - first time cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Damn Dude. Nice job. Had mine butchered that size this year. Usually they make them small enough for a midget

Yeah that!^^^^^^^...There are different names for the same cut, around the country. IMPS numbers gets everyone speaking the same language.
Now, that's not necessarily going to be the situation at a Mom & Pop Johnson's Country Butcher, General Store and County Courthouse. But they will figure it out...JJ

I'm gonna have to disagree.
Plates are the Gold Standard, the Creme de la Creme when it comes to Beef Short Ribs aka "Brisket on a Stick".

Chuck ribs don't have more meat.
More and smaller rib bones equal more servings, but not more meat per bone in weight or sheer size.
Chuck's are more heavily layered with bands of fat.
And yes n my experience their finished size doesn't compare to Plates.

Plate Short Rib
View attachment 474192

Chuck Short Rib
View attachment 474193

It's all Relative my friend! Just like you can find 12 pound Packer Briskets and 20 pound Packers. The amount of meat on the ribs will vary by Breed, Genetics, Age, Feed Quality, Grass Fed or Grain Finished. Lot of variables. You have 2 prime examples there but that is not a definitive example of what the next guy will find or can expect, including the amount of Fat and where it's found...JJ

Sorry having issues posting the pic.
2 different examples of Plate Ribs and 2 Chuck Ribs, showing how the amount of meat varies. Now add that many Meat Departments will take Either and simplify label them Short Ribs making the whole discussion moot.😂

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky