Pit Boss Copperhead ErL error code?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bb-bbq

Original poster
Mar 22, 2019
I can't seem to find any information on this error code. It's not listed in the manual. I do have an email out to Pit Boss service but they are slow to respond. Anyone seen this before and know what it means?

Reactions: BrandyC305
Mine had a code once, it was overheated. don't remember what it said though

sure it isn't ER1, temp probe not making contact?

The manual calls out ErH as overheating I think, this occurred at 350 degrees. I would unplug it and it would reset, eventually it got stuck on ErL even when the smoker cooled down and resetting it.

View media item 554389

Manual doesn't show a ERL error code. Only ERH, ER1, and noP. I've heard good things about the customer service so hopefully they will set you straight. Are you vacuuming it out regularly?

It was the 2nd time I fired it up after the burn in of 350 for 35 mins. I did clean out the burn pot before the 2nd time.

I can't seem to find any information on this error code. It's not listed in the manual. I do have an email out to Pit Boss service but they are slow to respond. Anyone seen this before and know what it means?

That ErL error code is not a common error code... It’s not listed in the Owners Manual nor on the PB website. You mentioned you have emailed PB’s Customer Service and they haven’t responded yet... Why not just call them? It’s toll free and they’re there now... 1-877-303-3134...

CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE
If you have any questions or problems, contact Customer Service, Monday through Sunday, 4am - 8pm PST. Toll-Free: 1-877-303-3134 | Toll-Free Fax: 1-877-303-3135.
When You get the info about the ErL error code, post back and let us know what does it pertains to, what caused it, and how too fix it. Thanks

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I’m not 100% certain, but mine threw this code this morning too and my best guess is that you don’t have enough pellets in your hopper. You have to make sure there is enough to fall into the burner in order for it to continue smoking as it is not an electric smoker but a wood pellet smoker.

While waiting to hear back I decided to exchange the smoker for a new one. I ended up hearing back from my email and I had to call in for some issues with the new one in which I also asked about the error code ErL. Both reps stated that it is a 'temp to low' error. The rep I talked to indicated that it was likely some issue with the temperature probe or its wiring since it happened when the smoker was at 400. It's not exactly that the probe is disconnected but if I had to guess it's probably when the controller determines it cannot correctly read the probe. Since I exchanged the smoker already I couldn't troubleshoot it past that. Most likely the fix would probably involve replacing the temperature probe.

I'm happy I exchanged the smoker because that would have required me to dismantle a brand new smoker. By the way the customer service has been top notch so far. The new one had some minor cosmetic damage and a loose screw hole rivet, even though I picked a perfect box, and they sent me out a cover as compensation and a new part I can replace later. I think the packaging could improve to protect the smoker more. They weigh too much and any bangs or pressure from the outside can transfer through the box and bend the sheet metal. If you're thinking about getting one of these, specially the ones from Lowes which is a good deal for a pellet smoker (in my opinion), I would open it up there and check for damage. If it's something you can live with call customer service and let them know.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCAlan
I’ve had the same error and here is what I did to resolve it:

Took the rear panel off the pellet hopper - 15 screws. Found the pellets had slight moisture and cause a blockage in the feed shoot right above the auger. Removed the pellets, put the hopper back in a add new dry pellets. Problem solved. Typically if you have the same problem as me then the temp won’t raise and you won’t see pellets when priming the smoker.

I had the same error code. I just finally called sat on hold for 30 minutes and he said it is a bad wire connection. He had me lay the unit on it's back( after removing everything inside and pellets) take the small panel off of the wires in it and find the temp wire (red wire attached to a silver one) unplug it plug it back in and run on smoke for 10 minutes with the door open. Seems to be ok now.

I don't own a Pit boss, but from what I've read about them - the ErL code is related to the auger jamming up or sticking. Thus not allow the pellets to flow freely. It could be pellet related or pellet dust related. Might be worth a check while your waiting on their customer service to get back to you.

Chris

Mine read the same code(erl) after a minor flare up while smoking a brisket and nothing else was working not even the fan. Seemed like nothing was working. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and powered it up and still only the erl code. Called customer service and parts were back ordered so while waiting on that I went to search amazon and found the temperature probe for only $11 and replaced it and now it’s working great. Hope this helps out anyone with this code.

That ErL error code is not a common error code... It’s not listed in the Owners Manual nor on the PB website. You mentioned you have emailed PB’s Customer Service and they haven’t responded yet... Why not just call them? It’s toll free and they’re there now... 1-877-303-3134...

CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE
If you have any questions or problems, contact Customer Service, Monday through Sunday, 4am - 8pm PST. Toll-Free: 1-877-303-3134 | Toll-Free Fax: 1-877-303-3135.
When You get the info about the ErL error code, post back and let us know what does it pertains to, what caused it, and how too fix it. Thanks

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi
I have the same error code. I was able to get thru to customer once after almost an hour hold time. They told me it was a bad control board and they would send me a new one. Still waiting for part, it’s been a week. We’ll see if that fixes the problem once I replace it. I only used the smoker 2 times before the failure.

I have the same error code. I was able to get thru to customer once after almost an hour hold time. They told me it was a bad control board and they would send me a new one. Still waiting for part, it’s been a week. We’ll see if that fixes the problem once I replace it. I only used the smoker 2 times before the failure.

Well, hopefully you get it back up and running soon.

I have been waiting more than 3 weeks for my control board but the said it’s on back order till the end of July. I recommend ordering the temperature probe on amazon for $11 like I did and my problem was solved. Now when I receive the back ordered parts that will be spare parts when ever I do need them.

I have been waiting more than 3 weeks for my control board but the said it’s on back order till the end of July. I recommend ordering the temperature probe on amazon for $11 like I did and my problem was solved. Now when I receive the back ordered parts that will be spare parts when ever I do need them.
Thanks, I think I’m going to take your suggestion and order the probe. Do you think the new probe is going to be any different then the old one.

Reply: is this the temp probe you ordered on Amazon. It sure looks like the same one.
upload_2019-7-3_15-23-56.jpeg

Thanks, I think I’m going to take your suggestion and order the probe. Do you think the new probe is going to be any different then the old one.
It was exactly the same. Just check to see if it’s compatible with your model

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky