• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pit Boss Copperhead ErL error code?

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I think the 5 year warranty started in sept of 17 , bought mine around may of 17 . not had any problems with sensors or control panels other than a few flakey food temp therms , they were replaced no problems. glad I can pickup parts cheap if I ever have a issue, most of this stuff is plug and play so its not difficult to upgrade is the mood ever strikes me, sorry some folks have had some problems.

Rakish_smoker

Joined Dec 25, 2019
I have the pro series, that code popped up on me Christmas morning. I vacuumed it out, unplugged it, reset it and she is all good now!

Joined Feb 2, 2020
I have a copper head 5 series purchased 12/15/19 and was on the 5th time to use it. I wanted to run the temp up to 400 and it was holding temp for a few minutes. Then I got the ErL code. I reset the code and tried holding temp around 300 and then ErL code again. After a couple of times at resetting the code it wouldn't reset anymore. So with 2 whole chickens sitting in the smoker I decided to call customer service and they said that if it wouldn't reset then it was a bad controller. They dropped a new controller in the mail and after 6 days I got my new controller. I replaced the controller and did a test run on high and let the temp reach 465 to see if it would throw a code, after a few minutes I decided to try it. After a few hrs of low temp I decided to finish the job with a high temp of 400 and got the code again on the brand new controller. I decided to get a new internal temp probe (on amazon, dreld RTD Smokers PB 39P350 $12.99) and put on the old controller to see if I could trouble shoot the problem and it was working. I did a test run with a oven to see if the controller would throw a code at high temp and it was able to handle the 415 temp and I checked voltage and it was putting out the correct voltage. I say all that to say that it seems the temp probe is the problem even if the customer service says its the controller. Hopes this helps.

Ozbert

Joined Apr 24, 2020
Hi All, had the same problem, replaced the control board and the problem still existed. After a bit of communication with PB, they suggested the fan underneath might be jammed as it is common on new grills. I took the cover off (4 screws) and yes it was stiff, so I gave it a few turns and a shot of sewing machine oil and it fixed the issue.

dwmckie

Joined Jun 29, 2012
I thought I should come back and give an update. As mentioned before, I got a replacement temp probe but that didn't fix the problem. So, when all else fails, get a new control panel. Got it yesterday, installed it this morning, and ... no error code. I sat out on the porch during the pre-heat, watching every temp increase, and when it reached 225 degrees, I closed my eyes, not wanting to explain to my wife that we still have a $400 paperweight. When I opened my eyes, it had reached 250 degrees and kept on going. It went all the way up to 350 degrees and held there for about 20 minutes, with only a slight shift in temp. So, at least for right now, I am cautiously optimistic. The true test will come on July 4th! At least it will just be my wife and I.

Adayray

Joined Aug 7, 2020
I can't seem to find any information on this error code. It's not listed in the manual. I do have an email out to Pit Boss service but they are slow to respond. Anyone seen this before and know what it means?

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Although I have a Masterbuilt, I've gotten error codes not in the manual too!
I'm guessing ErL means Low temp error code--it's taking too long to get to your setpoint temp? Left some ideas in this thread.

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Good diagnosis Steff3. If the auger isn't feeding pellets, you will definitely err on low temp.
And that's an easy one to check for!
I like to start each cook with all the shields, diffusers, and covers out and make sure I verify all looks good before I put things together and put the meat in.

Adayray

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Although I have a Masterbuilt, I've gotten error codes not in the manual too!
I'm guessing ErL means Low temp error code--it's taking too long to get to your setpoint temp? Left some ideas in this thread.
From what I understand it means a stuck or jammed auger...
Thanks for the reply. I checked the auger and it seems to be turning. Kinda leaning towards the box temperature probe being defective. Ordered a replacement from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. Ill post an update if it works

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
never hurts to have two independent measurements of your cooker's inside temp. An analog temperature dial you drill and mount on the case can be quite useful.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.