Pit Boss Copperhead ErL error code?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bought the Pit Boss Series 4 Vertical Smoker from Lowes today... It seemed awesome until the ERL error kicked in while I was trying to do the smoker burn off.

Tried most of the fixes suggested in here (plugging and unplugging the probe wires, even tried the rubbing alcohol flamer...) but no luck so have ordered the replacement probe from Amazon. Thank you all for the link and suggestions. Fingers crossed it'll fix it.

I'm just sadly looking at all the wings and ribs I had planned to smoke this labor day weekend

Sorry to hear of the disadvantage that you’ve been put to.

But worst case scenario, you could still probably pick up a Weber Kettle and at least manage to get your food cooked for this weekend.

You can always use it for backup or as just another grill to have handy.

Bought the Pit Boss Series 4 Vertical Smoker from Lowes today... It seemed awesome until the ERL error kicked in while I was trying to do the smoker burn off.

Tried most of the fixes suggested in here (plugging and unplugging the probe wires, even tried the rubbing alcohol flamer...) but no luck so have ordered the replacement probe from Amazon. Thank you all for the link and suggestions. Fingers crossed it'll fix it.

I'm just sadly looking at all the wings and ribs I had planned to smoke this labor day weekend

Why don’t You reach out to PitBoss’s Customer Service?? You have a 5 year warranty and wouldn’t have had to spend money on parts if needed. The Error code is saying the temp in your Smoker is to low. How did You start and preheat your Smoker? Relay that info to the Customer Service Rep at PitBoss. PB’s Customer Service number is 1-877-303-3134 and they’re on call this weekend...

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I will call them and see what they say. I have same model as K Ken1946 and when he called they sent a replacement control board which didn't fix it then the replacement probe did.

I ordered the part from Amazon anyway, was $11 and will come Monday so depending on time it arrives I should be able to test it out and report back. Judging from replies in here, sounds like it can take a while to receive parts from Pit Boss.

I will call them and see what they say. I have same model as K Ken1946 and when he called they sent a replacement control board which didn't fix it then the replacement probe did.

I ordered the part from Amazon anyway, was $11 and will come Monday so depending on time it arrives I should be able to test it out and report back. Judging from replies in here, sounds like it can take a while to receive parts from Pit Boss.
Reach out via messenger on their Facebook page, they will get back to you within minutes .

Reach out via messenger on their Facebook page, they will get back to you within minutes .

Don't have Facebook otherwise definitely would.

Edit: Scratch that, used a friend's account. Will see what they say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steff3
They haven't replied yet but just decided to bring it back to Lowes and get another one. Got 10% off the replacement to make up for having to assemble two and drive back and forth. Fingers crossed, will report back later today.

They haven't replied yet but just decided to bring it back to Lowes and get another one. Got 10% off the replacement to make up for having to assemble two and drive back and forth. Fingers crossed, will report back later today.

Good luck with the new one.

Good luck with the new one.

So it made it through the burn off cycle with no issues. Building the second one didn't take any time at all and I forgot to return the previous meat probe so got two now. Fingers crossed it'll keep working through Labor Day!

So it made it through the burn off cycle with no issues. Building the second one didn't take any time at all and I forgot to return the previous meat probe so got two now. Fingers crossed it'll keep working through Labor Day!

Since I put in the new probe I haven’t had any ERL error yet. I’m hoping the probe was the issue.

I can't seem to find any information on this error code. It's not listed in the manual. I do have an email out to Pit Boss service but they are slow to respond. Anyone seen this before and know what it means?

I bought one in June 2019.

Worked great. Easy to use and clean. Food always came out awesome with little work on my part. But, after about 6-7 uses, an ERL code began to appear. Called Pit Boss team and after some troubleshooting they offered to send a new control board and said the error was rare.

I opted to return it to Lowes for a new one vs. Attempting to replace the control board myself.

Got the new one back from Lowes on Sunday 1 Sept. Smoked some chicken and ribs and they came out great as well.

Went to fire it up a few minutes ago and smoke a London Broil for Labor Day, and the ERL code immediately came on. Called Pit Boss and received the same news about the control board. And, again, they said it was rare.

I may just have bad luck. But, I wont be giving them a third try. Too bad as it is a good smoker when the control board isn’t failing.

I bought one in June 2019.

Worked great. Easy to use and clean. Food always came out awesome with little work on my part. But, after about 6-7 uses, an ERL code began to appear. Called Pit Boss team and after some troubleshooting they offered to send a new control board and said the error was rare.

I opted to return it to Lowes for a new one vs. Attempting to replace the control board myself.

Got the new one back from Lowes on Sunday 1 Sept. Smoked some chicken and ribs and they came out great as well.

Went to fire it up a few minutes ago and smoke a London Broil for Labor Day, and the ERL code immediately came on. Called Pit Boss and received the same news about the control board. And, again, they said it was rare.

I may just have bad luck. But, I wont be giving them a third try. Too bad as it is a good smoker when the control board isn’t failing.

Did you have the vent stack open all the way? I had the same issues and when I open ed the vent stack all the way I stopped getting the ErL error.

Did you have the vent stack open all the way? I had the same issues and when I open ed the vent stack all the way I stopped getting the ErL error.
With the first one. I thought they may have been the issue, so I opened it all the way, uncapped the top tile barely a thread was holding it up right.

To no avail, worked through all the troubleshooting with pit boss (quality customer service reps) fornthe erl code, which is kind of a generic fault.

My issue with first grill was progressive from simply unplugging, to unplugging and cooling down, ensuring excessive charcoal dust clear to resetting the thermostat connection... them it just stopped coming on. Which was when they said control board, so I brought it back to lowes

This time, it just never turned on for day 2 of operations. Skipped right to the erl code. Fan never kicked on after powering it up. They said control board again... so I'm taking it back

It cooks great. I may be the unlucky recipient of a bad run on control boards or maybe something with the assembly team of my local lowes. But. Either way, I'm getting a Traeger or a non-stick pit boss. Something is flawed.

With the first one. I thought they may have been the issue, so I opened it all the way, uncapped the top tile barely a thread was holding it up right.

To no avail, worked through all the troubleshooting with pit boss (quality customer service reps) fornthe erl code, which is kind of a generic fault.

My issue with first grill was progressive from simply unplugging, to unplugging and cooling down, ensuring excessive charcoal dust clear to resetting the thermostat connection... them it just stopped coming on. Which was when they said control board, so I brought it back to lowes

This time, it just never turned on for day 2 of operations. Skipped right to the erl code. Fan never kicked on after powering it up. They said control board again... so I'm taking it back

It cooks great. I may be the unlucky recipient of a bad run on control boards or maybe something with the assembly team of my local lowes. But. Either way, I'm getting a Traeger or a non-stick pit boss. Something is flawed.

I did open the vent stack after I replaced the probe. So, not sure which one fixed it. I’ve only smoked a couple of times after replacement so, we’ll see after a dozen.

has anyone got a link or info on how to replace the temperature probe? I'm having the same error code issue and just went ahead and ordered the replacement probe instead of trying to go through customer service.

has anyone got a link or info on how to replace the temperature probe? I'm having the same error code issue and just went ahead and ordered the replacement probe instead of trying to go through customer service.

It's very easy. The probe has two screws inside the smoker so undo those.

Then unscrew the black panel on bottom (think it's back right-ish when looking at the smoker front on) that all the wires are under. I think it's 3 screws. Then you can disconnect the probe (grey or silver wire) and just pull it out from inside the smoker. Installing new one is just the same in reverse.

I'm at the office now but happy to take pictures later if you need.

A1F2CE2D-B519-471D-98ED-A3CFA30B09C2.jpeg
I just got the error code after the 2nd use. Is it worth the hassle?

Call customer seevice.

It is a catchall code. There are some troubleshooting steps they will wall you through that may help. But, if it requires replacing electrical parts which was my case, TWICE, I'd say just take it back

Seems a pretty common flaw for the smoker. Not sure of the issue . too bad though as it is a great smoker when working

My concern is this will happen with a house full of people and raw meat. I’m hoping to hear that PitBoss has come out with a new part that fixes the problem. Most people seem to buy a temp probe on Amazon with success. I’m wondering if anyone can report the new probe fixing the problem long term?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky