Pit Boss Charcoal Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eddiememphis

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Denver
Just saw a guy on youtube talking about these. Has anyone tried them? I may pick up a bag tomorrow at Wal-Mart. $8.88 for 20 pounds.

I know the Lumberjack brand version has good reviews, I have seen a couple of videos on the PitBoss brand and they say the flavor is like charcoal thin blue smoke. I'm thinking of picking up some of the $9 bags at Wally World to try as the Lumberjacks are $15 near me. I have about a 1/3 of a pallet of LJ competition blend and some friutwood blend, but have not tried any brand of the charcoal flavor yet.

My son brought me a bag for his birthday bbq next Sunday. I'll write it up after I try them. There were 2 reviews on Walmart's web site, one positive and one negative.

I bought a bag last week and waited for my new heat sensor to show-up. Loaded the hopper and the PB for an hour on high to clear the auger and threw some store bought sausages on at 225 for 45 minutes, IT 160*. Tasted like they came off a charcoal grill. Just a different way to achieve a taste you want.

I ran a few bags of LJ char-hickory pellets. More me personally, they left a little something weird in the taste. Hard to explain, smoke had a spiced note in smell which obviously left something in the food I didn't care for.
I didn't notice any noticeable difference consumption.
Your mileage may vary.
I'd recommend a couple bags of it before you start stacking pallets of the stuff.

Reactions: eddiememphis
I use them all the time, can't beat the price, i've tried the lumberjack pellets and don't see much difference except the price (my opinion)

I wonder if they are rebranded LJ ? will look for a bag to try as the LJ does great mixed in with hickory

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky