Pit Boss 820

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a Pit Boss 820DLX.. Love this pit but we have had some wild temp swings. It also was a little light on the smoke flavor. Also on long smokes the meat just didn't achieve the dark rich brown or black that a stick burner has.

I purchased the Savannah Stoker PID Controller. Best thing I ever did. Now my briskets & pork butts have the same smoke flavor that my Oklahoma Joe Longhorn has while burning Oak wood. I now have a dark smoke ring and my last brisket was a dark mahogany brown.

This controller is a true PID controller where you can change all values in the controller. It even has a auto tune feature that will fine tune the PID logarithm to match your pit. Just like it was custom made for your pit.

The feature I really like is the 3 step program cook feature.

1st step is between 160 and 180 degrees. You set the amount of time to run at your set temp. You can even adjust the fan speed for this step. When the time runs out on the first step it automatically goes to the 2nd step.
2nd step is your cooking temp. I set mine up for 235 for my brisket. This controller has a temp probe. I told the program to cook until my brisket hit 203. When I hit my target temp the 3rd step will take control.
3rd step is the hold step. I told the controller to go down to a temp of 160 to keep the brisket warm if I wasn't at home. It did exactly this when I went out to the store. It even told me that the brisket was on warm cycle for 77 minutes when I got home.

This controller has many more features. The owner who sells this PID even gives you his personal cell phone number in case you have any problems.

Phil
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Savannah Stoker as well Phil, good to see this pellet grill getting options, that looks like a nice controller as well. And really for the investment you make in adding a aftermarket controller you are still way ahead of the game compared to one of the way more expensive ones out there. Can't wait for the temps to get back up so I can get to smokin again.

Keep the feedback coming all, great to hear the success stories of modding this smoker.

J :cool:

Last edited:
I have a Pit Boss 820DLX.. Love this pit but we have had some wild temp swings. It also was a little light on the smoke flavor. Also on long smokes the meat just didn't achieve the dark rich brown or black that a stick burner has.

I purchased the Savannah Stoker PID Controller. Best thing I ever did. Now my briskets & pork butts have the same smoke flavor that my Oklahoma Joe Longhorn has while burning Oak wood. I now have a dark smoke ring and my last brisket was a dark mahogany brown.

This controller has many more features. The owner who sells this PID even gives you his personal cell phone number in case you have any problems.

Phil

Thanks for the follow up Phil! Sounds like that PID controller is pretty robust (and looks cool too). If I had to do it again I might go that route instead. But for now...I'm just so happy to be able to keep my temps right where I want them. Especially on long cooks. Cheers to PID controllers!

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences with an 820 on this thread. I'm in the middle of my first cook on my 820 and while the temp was SOLID at the smoke setting, the 225 setting has seen temps between 210 and 255 based on the controller's reading and even wilder based on the two probes I'm measuring via my ThermoPro. A controller upgrade is in my future, either the Savannah or the Pellet Pro.

Hi Bconrey! Yeah, I don't know if you saw my previous post, but my temps swings were out of control with the original controller of the Pit Boss. After reading Phil's experience of the Savannah Stoker, it seems to have more features than the Pellet Pro I bought. That said, I bought the new PID controller for one purpose...minimize temps swings on low and slow cooks and so far have been very happy with the Pellet Pro in that regard.

One thing I did after switching to the PID was to buy a $9 smoker tube that you fill up with pellets, light on fire, then blow out the fire and just let it smoke away inside the pit. Constant smoke for about 4-5 hours. Worked well.

Take care and let us know what you decide on. :)

Picked up a Pellet Pro and just finished installing it. Does it constantly pulsate the fan on the 820d or am I dealing with a defect? I'd like to run it through a burn-in test but the pulsating fan has me concerned that it isn't operating properly.

I called Smoked Daddy & talked to one of the head guys about the Pellet Pro before I made my decision. He did tell me that the fan pulsed. That was one way that they held a constant temp.

G-Rod could answer your question better as he has one.

Phil

Reactions: bconrey
Extremely happy I found this forum. I'm entirely new to smoking and considering a PB820. Based on the exchange of information it looks like I'd be well served to order a new controller to install during my set-up. I have to say that the way everyone shares information makes me feel like I found a great forum.

Welcome to the forum, Rick. If you're still shopping for your 820, my local Lowes started selling them for $499 for the 820d, and at one point had them for $449. I also heard that Academy has them for $499 although we don't have any of those around here.

Regarding the controller, I just completed my second cook with the Pellet Pro and may be returning it because I'm experiencing really bad burnback, which is what happens when the fire burns into the auger tube during the cooldown. Dennis at Pellet Pro has been very helpful but attributes the burnback to the lower amperage motors in the Pit Boss and I'm not willing to replace the auger and fan motors. I'm talking to the folks at Savannah Stoker to see if I'll have the same issue with their controller, but that's likely to be my next step.

Welcome to the forum, Rick. If you're still shopping for your 820, my local Lowes started selling them for $499 for the 820d, and at one point had them for $449. I also heard that Academy has them for $499 although we don't have any of those around here.

Regarding the controller, I just completed my second cook with the Pellet Pro and may be returning it because I'm experiencing really bad burnback, which is what happens when the fire burns into the auger tube during the cooldown. Dennis at Pellet Pro has been very helpful but attributes the burnback to the lower amperage motors in the Pit Boss and I'm not willing to replace the auger and fan motors. I'm talking to the folks at Savannah Stoker to see if I'll have the same issue with their controller, but that's likely to be my next step.
Thank you bconrey. I'm pretty set on the 820 at a local vendor called L&M Fleet Supply due to having a gift card that would cover the entire cost of a 820. I do like the offset box on the Savannah Stoker. It looks a bit cleaner. I plan on getting this smoker tomorrow or Friday when I get back off my business trip.

Reactions: bconrey
I have the Savannah Stoker installed in a Pit Boss 820 Deluxe. I have not experienced any burnback at all. Just make sure the lid is up when you start the shutdown sequence. It's all covered in the owners manual that comes with the controller.

In fact when cool down is complete the auger will run for 15 seconds to expel any pellets that might have burned during the cycle. Also cool down is controlled by temperature and not time so you can make sure your pellets are out.

I hope this helps.

Phil

Well..I figured an update was in order, but I'm hoping it's not too much of a thread hijack given that it's about the 820. I ended up buying the PB700D given that my wife and I are new "empty nesters" and I think it'll be plenty big for anything the two of us want to throw on it. I hope to conduct the "burn off" tomorrow and I'm excited to finally be the proud owner of a smoker!

I have a PB 820 I have noticed temp swings not like mentioned. I cook at 200 and 225 done whole chickens, pork loin roast, pork shoulder, Prime rib, short ribs, jerky, full racks of ribs and have had great results. I went with the PB because of price and could not see the benefit of the Treager. I use the Devil Competition pellet mix from Winn Co. I get good smoke flavor and smoke ring on meat. I love my smoker have a roast on at 225 covered with onion powder, garlic power, black pepper and ground mustard seed. Should be ready in 3 hours.

I have a PB 820 I have noticed temp swings not like mentioned. I cook at 200 and 225 done whole chickens, pork loin roast, pork shoulder, Prime rib, short ribs, jerky, full racks of ribs and have had great results. I went with the PB because of price and could not see the benefit of the Treager. I use the Devil Competition pellet mix from Winn Co. I get good smoke flavor and smoke ring on meat. I love my smoker have a roast on at 225 covered with onion powder, garlic power, black pepper and ground mustard seed. Should be ready in 3 hours.

Glad to hear that you are having good luck with the stock controller. The 820 is a great pellet smoker for the price.

I called Smoked Daddy & talked to one of the head guys about the Pellet Pro before I made my decision. He did tell me that the fan pulsed. That was one way that they held a constant temp.

G-Rod could answer your question better as he has one.

Phil

Thanks Phil and Hi Bconrey - sorry for coming late to the party on this discussion. I recently installed the PelletPro on my PB 700FB. Yes, the pulsating fan it weird to first hear when you're used to hearing the fan going full blast previously BUT...that is how it works in order to try and hold those temps within 5 to 10 degree.

That said, I noticed something pretty interesting last week, when doing some St. Louis style ribs. I put a grill temp monitor on my grate to see what the actual grate was at during the cooking process as my ribs are sitting right on it. Found that even though I was holding a pretty good temp at 225 on my dome and built in thermometer, the temp at the grate (and meat) was 30 degrees higher! So I adjusted downward by 30 degrees (to 195) to cook at my desired 225. All was well for a bit BUT, close to the 3 hour mark, I noticed the temp dropping. At first I thought the fire went out but when I pulled the grates and shield off, I could see I was having burn back! Dang it! Turned it off and then back on and hit the Feed button to push that out. Then I was able to fire it back up and the the remaining "2-1" of my 3-2-1 ribs without further issue.

I believe that burn back happens more at lower temps as the pellets are barely being fed and the fan is running much slower and pulsing. This bums me out a bit as one of the reasons I bought the Pellet Pro PID controller was to do a long brisket (overnight) cook and I now have concerns that I'll have burn back on this overnight cook.

I had read that someone thought it could be the sawdust in the pellets that can contribute to burn back, so for my next cook, I'm going to clean out the hopper and sift the pellets before using them, to test that theory.

Let me know if you decide to go with the Savannah Stoker. Is Pellet Pro going to honor your return? I thought I saw in the paperwork that once installed, they wouldn't take it back?

Last edited:
Man...there is some good info on this forum! After talking with a colleague of mine who owns a PB700D like I just purchased, I'm going to pass on the new controller for right now. I've successfully completed my "burn off" and will try my first smoke tomorrow- baby back ribs.

I do have a question regarding the hopper grate. Has anyone removed this top grate? It seems like it might make it harder to ensure that the pellets are even in the bottom of the hopper once it gets down towards the bottom third. Just curious. Thanks.

I do have a question regarding the hopper grate. Has anyone removed this top grate? It seems like it might make it harder to ensure that the pellets are even in the bottom of the hopper once it gets down towards the bottom third. Just curious.

I've removed the safety grate from the hopper. It was necessary when I had an auger jam and needed to empty the entire hopper, and it seems it'd just get in the way.

Thanks Phil and Hi Bconrey - sorry for coming late to the party on this discussion. I recently installed the PelletPro on my PB 200FB. Yes, the pulsating fan it weird to first hear when you're used to hearing the fan going full blast previously BUT...that is how it works in order to try and hold those temps within 5 to 10 degree.

That said, I noticed something pretty interesting last week, when doing some St. Louis style ribs. I put a grill temp monitor on my grate to see what the actual grate was at during the cooking process as my ribs are sitting right on it. Found that even though I was holding a pretty good temp at 225 on my dome and built in thermometer, the temp at the grate (and meat) was 30 degrees higher! So I adjusted downward by 30 degrees (to 195) to cook at my desired 225. All was well for a bit BUT, close to the 3 hour mark, I noticed the temp dropping. At first I thought the fire went out but when I pulled the grates and shield off, I could see I was having burn back! Dang it! Turned it off and then back on and hit the Feed button to push that out. Then I was able to fire it back up and the the remaining "2-1" of my 3-2-1 ribs without further issue.

I believe that burn back happens more at lower temps as the pellets are barely being fed and the fan is running much slower and pulsing. This bums me out a bit as one of the reasons I bought the Pellet Pro PID controller was to do a long brisket (overnight) cook and I now have concerns that I'll have burn back on this overnight cook.

I had read that someone thought it could be the sawdust in the pellets that can contribute to burn back, so for my next cook, I'm going to clean out the hopper and sift the pellets before using them, to test that theory.

Let me know if you decide to go with the Savannah Stoker. Is Pellet Pro going to honor your return? I thought I saw in the paperwork that once installed, they wouldn't take it back?
Thanks for your questions. I reached out to Pellet Pro about the burn back and they gave me a few things to try, then ultimately offered to refund my purchase price if I sent it back. I can’t say enough good things about their commitment to customer service, including quick responses even over the weekend. I was truly disappointed that it wasn’t going to work for me and was preparing to eat the cost and buy a Savannah Stoker regardless. Of course, the refund was a very unexpected surprise.

I received and installed my SS over the weekend, and completed my first cook yesterday. There were several setup/calibration steps which seem overwhelming until you actually do them - really straightforward and plenty of help on their Facebook group if you have questions. I was able to recalibrate the temp reading of my RTD and used the auto tune feature to calibrate the SS to what will work best for my grill. They also have a WiFi version coming late this year, available for a discounted price to existing SS owners.

Both are fantastic controllers with outstanding customer service. Having installed and cooked with both, I prefer the SS for the configurability and tuning features.

Thanks for your questions. I reached out to Pellet Pro about the burn back and they gave me a few things to try, then ultimately offered to refund my purchase price if I sent it back. I can’t say enough good things about their commitment to customer service, including quick responses even over the weekend. I was truly disappointed that it wasn’t going to work for me and was preparing to eat the cost and buy a Savannah Stoker regardless. Of course, the refund was a very unexpected surprise.

I received and installed my SS over the weekend, and completed my first cook yesterday. There were several setup/calibration steps which seem overwhelming until you actually do them - really straightforward and plenty of help on their Facebook group if you have questions. I was able to recalibrate the temp reading of my RTD and used the auto tune feature to calibrate the SS to what will work best for my grill. They also have a WiFi version coming late this year, available for a discounted price to existing SS owners.

Both are fantastic controllers with outstanding customer service. Having installed and cooked with both, I prefer the SS for the configurability and tuning features.

Thanks for the response! BTW - I edited my initial response to read PB 700fb not 200fb (don't think that even exists!). But yeah, between you and PhilH, I think I may have selected wrong. :\

That said, I don't really want to pull out my PelletPro if I don't have to. As I mentioned, I am going to try my filtering out sawdust from the pellets and see if I still have a burn back issue at that point. It's only happened once so maybe it was a freak occurrence. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky