Pit Boss 820

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry to jump on this so late. I picked up the 820D this past Thursday and did the initial burn off Friday. Then I fired this up Sunday and made some ribs and loin. During the process, I discovered with the built in controller, if you change the dial, you have to except an increase in heat, but instead of fiddling with it repeatedly right way, let it burn and it goes down to pretty close to what you have dialed. Especially if you change from any temp to smoke, it specifically says in the manual that going to smoke will cause the auger to run for 4 minutes so I recommend not going down once you've gone up unless you are removing the meat to wrap in foil or such or deal with a 5-10 minute increase in heat. I smoked for about 5 hours and I started on smoke which was fine, then I changed to 200 and this is when I saw my temp increase to about 250-260 and was messing around with it changing the P setting but once I got this set, it burned down and stayed down around 205-215 when I had the dial at 200. Understanding that, when I took the ribs off to wrap in foil for the last hour, I changed it to smoke before I went inside so it ran and did the burn down by the time I came back out.
It seems on smoke, I wouldn't go over P4. On this controller, the higher the P the longer the delays on the auger. When I was smoking on 200, I had it on P5.

Reactions: bconrey
Man...there is some good info on this forum! After talking with a colleague of mine who owns a PB700D like I just purchased, I'm going to pass on the new controller for right now. I've successfully completed my "burn off" and will try my first smoke tomorrow- baby back ribs.

I do have a question regarding the hopper grate. Has anyone removed this top grate? It seems like it might make it harder to ensure that the pellets are even in the bottom of the hopper once it gets down towards the bottom third. Just curious. Thanks.

I pulled my grate off, added some nuts to the screws and laid the grate back on top. Now I can just pick it up when needed as I was having issues with pellets not falling evenly.

Reactions: jbuttimer
Hi fellas (and ladies) I am new to the site, I just signed up today when I stumbled across this forum on the PB 820. I purchased a PB 820D this past weekend out here in California. I'm retired military and after my discount at Lowe's my purchase price was $360 so that's pretty much a deal you can't pass up!
Having said that, I have read a lot here about all the problems with controlling temperature and I am seeing how much extra money is being spent on the various controllers and I thought I would throw my two cents in.
Please understand I'm really new to this so I'm not claiming to be a cook of any sort (I mean I burn water!) but I do work in an oil refinery as an electrician / instrument technician (we are what they called dual crafted) and I understand controls, the PID stuff, and all that quite well. I can't do it today at this initial post, but I would very much like to contribute my experiences and my understanding of the basic PB 820 controller and its functionality.
I have been home on vacation this week playing with it pretty extensively and, at this point, I have to say that I am very satisfied with my experiences. I seem to have very good control, although you should understand control will involve some small temperature swings,as I'll explain in a future post, but I'm able to eliminate the temperature excursions and I'm getting significant amounts of smoking in the Smoke setting just using the regular / standard Pit Boss controller. I did pretty extensive research before I bought my unit and continue to read the various posts and reviews etc., that are circulating around the web, so I have seen numerous comments about the issues of how it runs poorly, but at the same time I've also read reviews from people using standard units that just rave about it. I downloaded the tech manual online before I bought the unit, reviewed it, and it's pretty obvious that the P settings and how to use them are very significant. However, the absolutely horrid explanation in the book (combined with the utterly ridiculous Pit Boss helpline in Oregon) have really painted this unit in a bad light. And the above isn't even mentioning the fact the unit only comes with a one-year warranty and the manual has a statement written in it that actually says that the unit should only be expected the last for 2 to 3 years. Strange stuff to be certain!!
If you will give me a few days here I'll write up what I did for my startup procedure, what I saw, what knowledge I've gained. I love using this thing and I would like everybody to very much have the same feelings I have using it, it's sooo frustrating using equipment that does not work, so frustrating!
PS - I dictate my voice and edit as I can but I'm going to tell you ahead of time you'll see a few errors, so my apologies going into it!

Hi fellas (and ladies) I am new to the site, I just signed up today when I stumbled across this forum on the PB 820. I purchased a PB 820D this past weekend out here in California. I'm retired military and after my discount at Lowe's my purchase price was $360 so that's pretty much a deal you can't pass up!
Having said that, I have read a lot here about all the problems with controlling temperature and I am seeing how much extra money is being spent on the various controllers and I thought I would throw my two cents in.
Please understand I'm really new to this so I'm not claiming to be a cook of any sort (I mean I burn water!) but I do work in an oil refinery as an electrician / instrument technician (we are what they called dual crafted) and I understand controls, the PID stuff, and all that quite well. I can't do it today at this initial post, but I would very much like to contribute my experiences and my understanding of the basic PB 820 controller and its functionality.
I have been home on vacation this week playing with it pretty extensively and, at this point, I have to say that I am very satisfied with my experiences. I seem to have very good control, although you should understand control will involve some small temperature swings,as I'll explain in a future post, but I'm able to eliminate the temperature excursions and I'm getting significant amounts of smoking in the Smoke setting just using the regular / standard Pit Boss controller. I did pretty extensive research before I bought my unit and continue to read the various posts and reviews etc., that are circulating around the web, so I have seen numerous comments about the issues of how it runs poorly, but at the same time I've also read reviews from people using standard units that just rave about it. I downloaded the tech manual online before I bought the unit, reviewed it, and it's pretty obvious that the P settings and how to use them are very significant. However, the absolutely horrid explanation in the book (combined with the utterly ridiculous Pit Boss helpline in Oregon) have really painted this unit in a bad light. And the above isn't even mentioning the fact the unit only comes with a one-year warranty and the manual has a statement written in it that actually says that the unit should only be expected the last for 2 to 3 years. Strange stuff to be certain!!
If you will give me a few days here I'll write up what I did for my startup procedure, what I saw, what knowledge I've gained. I love using this thing and I would like everybody to very much have the same feelings I have using it, it's sooo frustrating using equipment that does not work, so frustrating!
PS - I dictate my voice and edit as I can but I'm going to tell you ahead of time you'll see a few errors, so my apologies going into it!
Looking forward to your guidance on this John. Don't think I will be putting the stock controller back in but it may help others long term who don't want or can't invest in the PID controller. For me it was a night and day difference and the price can't be beat compared to the Traeger.

Have a good day.

Looking forward to your guidance on this John. Don't think I will be putting the stock controller back in but it may help others long term who don't want or can't invest in the PID controller. For me it was a night and day difference and the price can't be beat compared to the Traeger.

Have a good day.
Hi Speedj!
Thanks for the response! Yeah I don't mean to imply at all that anybody should revert back to the old controller if they've already changed the p&id controller. I'm only looking to help explain some of the technology or operation behind the standard one and how I've applied my experiences to understanding it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the p&id controller. A full p&id controller is going to get you more control, absolutely! But my thought was just to try to save some money for some of the guys that seem to go to it because they are not able to control their units and get good results with the original controller. That tech manual is pretty much a piece of crap. I mean the basic info is there but the explanation list needed to understand the functionality of the unit is totally absent, so I'd just like to maybe try to and fill in the gap AND at the same time learn from you guys because as I said, I'm just starting starting out myself!

Hi All
A quick post on an idea I was thinking about the other day, separate from the p&id discussion above, and that's filters for the electronic units.
Has anyone has anyone ever given this any thought or has there been any discussions about this?
When you look at the controllers (that's your display unit and all the electronics that go with it inside the feeder housing) and how they're mounted in the Pit Boss the bottom intake area is just some open slots which will take in plenty of dirt, dust, insects and anything else. I don't know how anybody else feels about this, but I know where I work sensitive electronic boards and stuff are typically protected and if there is an opening to the outside of the cabinet or controller housing there's always some sort of air filter. I'm going to guess that for all of us, obviously, our units are probably parked outdoors more or less in the weather.
I'm planning on going to Home Depot to try building some sort of simple filter box that can fit on the bottom. I'll update you accordingly as to how it goes, but in terms of the longevity of my unit, I really think it's a risk to simply have open circuit boards sitting there.
Any thoughts on this?

Hi All
A quick post on an idea I was thinking about the other day, separate from the p&id discussion above, and that's filters for the electronic units.
Has anyone has anyone ever given this any thought or has there been any discussions about this?
When you look at the controllers (that's your display unit and all the electronics that go with it inside the feeder housing) and how they're mounted in the Pit Boss the bottom intake area is just some open slots which will take in plenty of dirt, dust, insects and anything else. I don't know how anybody else feels about this, but I know where I work sensitive electronic boards and stuff are typically protected and if there is an opening to the outside of the cabinet or controller housing there's always some sort of air filter. I'm going to guess that for all of us, obviously, our units are probably parked outdoors more or less in the weather.
I'm planning on going to Home Depot to try building some sort of simple filter box that can fit on the bottom. I'll update you accordingly as to how it goes, but in terms of the longevity of my unit, I really think it's a risk to simply have open circuit boards sitting there.
Any thoughts on this?
I did think about putting some screen door mesh on there to be honest. I assumed this stuff was pretty industrial grade but I agree I like my things to have as long a life as they can for sure.

J

I got my 820 last fall and the first couple of cooks on it were very disappointing because of the swinging temprature. I finally noticed that after a while the temp settled down and stayed steady. I timed it at around 45 minutes.

I've been using a Thermoworks Smoke thermometer so I'm able to keep an eye on the fluctuations. So I've narrowed it down to between 20 to 30 minutes. So now I start it up with the barrel probe in and watch the temp till steady. When that happens I put the meat in and don't open it until the meat is done. It's been working well for me. Giving it that time up front eliminates the wild swings in temprature during the cook.

John, Thanks for the great information - funny what we can learn when we read the manual. I was thinking about buying a PID controller until I read your post. I went back and read the Pit Boss manual and learned quite a bit in how to properly pre-heat the pellet grill. I had no idea of the process and how important it is for this pellet grill. I will try this in my next few session to see how the pre-heat will affect the temperature fluctuations. Thanks again!

LVaXRjkzae4dwmf9Bt1ZknyKWz00TvRcmqFdSCFd3UdF9IFCPuWpqNVxU9c08oiu7yFdw-Gv-vWRiVUszg=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

qri-PStVG7H5RUPZNWWUCfjqGL826As7Q921AS-yM_TdsRB7l12G7slJRnQFCH5XI2Kd10y9ooc6QDKyLQ=w1000-no-tmp.jpg
HyFpjj21Agm1JIWO7jsdR494ZBL4bSs9SFoaALq7vsgYi4RAFv1-HgChzracgEqOi_J8s3jnsoDZsldJWw=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

hJeYb4Rg0IpMRTEzsRvSLKNr9Yx37m1x0mhtw3uEiIQTO3slIAYFzHrEUBIe0zhOuXBvXI9zLFOP9Ubiyw=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

SPRpr4IwztHbKnUqjZIK-kjExl7Qzxph1ZskRbYQ5SdJgZmzfCKaeIzZ5wrLGc-ca_G-0tbvOfj5U430qQ=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

Sorry fellas, don't mean to make you drool :) (P.S. That stall is enough to make a grown man cry)

John, Thanks for the great information - funny what we can learn when we read the manual. I was thinking about buying a PID controller until I read your post. I went back and read the Pit Boss manual and learned quite a bit in how to properly pre-heat the pellet grill. I had no idea of the process and how important it is for this pellet grill. I will try this in my next few session to see how the pre-heat will affect the temperature fluctuations. Thanks again!
Anything new to report on the heat fluctuations? I've been considering a PB 700 but I'm not going to buy something new just to have to replace the controller.

Hey Speed J, would love to see what you cooked up but the pictures are not showing. Based on the stall comment, I'm imagining an awesome brisket!

Sorry fellas, don't mean to make you drool :) (P.S. That stall is enough to make a grown man cry)

Anything new to report on the heat fluctuations? I've been considering a PB 700 but I'm not going to buy something new just to have to replace the controller.

Hey Mega Brisket, If I warmed up the PB 700 per the instructions, it would behave for a while but then would start up with some crazy spikes again. Again on short cooks, it would be alright but I learned the hard way on a brisket that the spikes returned. I still love my pellet grill and love cooking burgers, chicken and reverse searing steaks on it (first on the pellet grill), then on my charcoal kettle grill for the final sear at/around 1000 degrees. But I wanted something I could also do long cooks on and so I just bought the PB Copperhead. It is a vertical smoker, and while there are still some temps spikes to contend with, I'm able to put the meat up a ways from the heat source. That and it has a water pan to help squelch the intensity of the spikes. First cook on it was a success and I can't wait to do my next one. I'll photo journal the next one for sure. Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

Reactions: megabrisket
The first 7 of your pics worked this time. The last 6 did not. How's the pitboss on long smokes? I've been reading a lot of people have issues with temperature fluctuation.

I have read through this whole thread and really appreciate all the knowledge. I bought by 820D about a month ago and have been grilling almost every day. Today was my first long smoke. a 7lb Boston Butt. I started the PB this morning at 7:00 a.m. and immediately it settled down to about 180 on Smoke mode. I set the stat to 225 as recommended in other posts and watched as the temp went to 290. WTF!

After reading through these posts I realized the the factory controller is "limited" in how it functions. So I set about figuring out how to get a steady temp.

What I learned today is that the "P" setting is way more important than the temperature control. My best laymans explaination is that the temperature setting is a safety net on the bottom. if the temp goes below the temp setting the grill goes into max drive until the temp rises above the desired temp. Well about 30 seconds later your temp has now sky rocketed. Once the temp is above the set temp, the control goes back into cycle mode. the auger turns on for 18 seconds.( you cant change that) and then off for 55 to 150 seconds depending on the P setting. I have found the higher the P setting the wider the temp swing if you are not in Smoke Mode.

It was 82 outside today in full sunshine. ( this is important, because I am sure my tested temps today will never be the same again unless the ambient conditions are the same)

My temps today in smoke mode:
P7 was 170 with a swing of only 5+-
P6 was 180 +-5
P5 was 190 +-5
P4 was 205 +-5
P3 was 220 +-5
P2 was 230 +-5
I did not try P1 as I was happy with P2 and P3

When I tried setting my temp to 225 in P3 I got mad swings again going to 250

So right now I am on Smoke mode sitting at a steady 220 on P3 and about 11 hours into my smoke. my meat temp has been stalled at 176 for about 2 hours. I am getting impatient . lol but hopefully the stall breaks soon and this baby finishes up. I am getting freaking hungry watch little puffs of smoke. :)

I may entertain a PID as some point. but for now I am not ready to spend the money until I know more about what the hell I am doing.

Cheers!

Reactions: megabrisket
Thanks for the info. The more research I do on the pitboss the more it seems the p setting is really what controls the heat. I think I'm going to save up for a camp chef or a grilla grill silverbac though as I just don't want the trouble of switching out the pid controller. I just had another unsuccessful brisket on my mes 30. I've gotten some decent bbq out of it but it's surprising not that consistent. Maybe next year I'll invest in a pellet smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky