Pit Boss 820

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fordguy5507

Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
So I've searched the forums and haven't seen definitive information on the Pit Boss 820.

Anyone using one with good results?

Funny you should ask, I just got one in May for my birthday, I played around with the built in controller but had some really horrid results, swings of 90ish degrees. Now having said that, I asked for and received a PelletPro PID controller for dad's day and got it installed this past weekend and so far pleased with the temperature results, going to get some stuff cooking on it this week.

Here's where I started out, this was the first smoke on it had a rough time with the output, it was dry on the tails and all in all not the kind of Cue I'm used to putting out, a lot to do with the temperature swings for sure.

I'll include the photo's so you can see how I did it should this be a route you decide to take all in all, I think we are out just over 500$ with mods to it.

Here she is getting ready to be set on her stack side

Had to pull out the grates so they didn't flop around

Taped up the pellet box lid instead of emptying it out, worked out well

Here's the new controller with the optional mounting plate, which it turned out was needed for the PitBoss 820

Two screws here and two more on the bottom edge of this plate pulls off this protective cover so you can get at the internals

Here's how she looks stock pre-cutting the wire management that I will replace later after the swap

And the back of the stock control board, wish I had thought to get a shot of the PelletPro so you could see it, for reference, Yellow = Fan Red = Motor and Purple = Fire, the White/Black wires are for power

Here you can see the gap that the cover creates so I headed out to the hardware store and got some tapered head M4 and M3 bolts and some washers it took 4 washers a bolt to take up for the gap you see here

The controller covers up the plate mounting holes fairly well, I wish it was just a bit taller but beggars can't be choosers

Here's a couple shots to show you the wiring conversion, Yellow from the smoker goes to Green/White, Red goes to Blue/White and the Braided leads for the fire pot go to the Red/White on the controller.

I did reuse the pit probe from the smoker as it looked sturdier than the one SmokeDaddy included with the kit, here's all the wire management in place before buttoning it up

And here's the readout when it was set for 225, all in a worthwhile upgrade for sure. Where to find the PelletPro: http://smokedaddyinc.com/pid-digital-controller.html 

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and pics good stuff to know.  I did end up picking one up for myself as a late Fathers day gift. I i had already looked into that same controller you installed, just in case i end up with wild temp swings like you did. I plan on putting it together this weekend once i get out to the campground for the 4th, and start cooking. 

Thanks again for the info, it may be very usefull in the future. 

Chris

Older thread I know, but just ordered the pellet pro pid so wanted to thank original poster for the great pictures and info.

Last edited:
Older thread I know, but just ordered the pellet pro pid so wanted to thank original poster for the great pictures and info.
No worries,

Let me know how it all works out for you. See if you can get a shot of the pid controller before you install it. That's about all we're missing to make it informative.

J :cool:

Last edited:
Here are the pics as promised. Pretty easy install. I did replace the internal temp probe with the one shipped with the Pellet Pro (I figured why not...I paid for it lol). The plug on the new probe was too big to go through the hole, but the end is a small pressure lock that is easily removed and then after threading the cable through the holes you can just snap the ends back in to the plug.

All in all it was about a 20 minute process. I have the gap around the plate as well, but I'm going to run up to the hardware store tonight and get a bit of weather stripping to put around it before I completely tighten it down. I'm a little surprised that the company wouldn't include that with the kit since they should know there would be a gap created, but not that big of a deal.

Again, many thanks to SpeeDj for his original post and showing me how easy this would be.

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here on the conversation.  I'm a new PB 440 D owner, gifted to me last week for my bday.  I was using a brinkman gourmet electric but it was time to upgrade. I love the PB grill but scratching my head on some inconsistencies.  One that deals with this subject is the temperature swings, temperature read outs and controller display.  So far I'm noticing on my unit, if I run a hot smoke at 225 my controller will read usually in the 240 range and both my dome and maverick bbq prob will read around 220.  I've tested my meat probe and it is like 1 degree off from being perfect, so the beginner that I am, I assumed this is a next to perfect assessment?  But the main issue is when the smoker is at that 225 setting (and other settings smoke/200/250) I get these huge heat fluctuations up to 340+ sometimes when my burner kicks on.  Then when its off it settles back into the 225-240 range but it never consistently sticks in that zone.  The grill is way more consistent in the temp settings of 300+ but in turn, no smoke at that temp.

My other concern is that my smoke is very inconsistent (at least I feel it is).  When the pellets begin to burn i get a nice blue thin smoke for about a minute and then it starts to turn white and gets thick.  My total smoke only lasts for 2-4 minutes tops each cycle and then I have no smoke. I smoked a 2lb pork tenderloin last night that took 1 hr 35 min to complete and I pulled it premature to what my preference would be for doneness.  The meat has an "okay" smoke flavor but I feel like I'm getting shorted.  I was using Traeger brand 100% Hardwood Pecan flavor pellets. Not sure if that is or isn't the cause of the lack of smoke, as am still a beginner to this.  

I didn't really intend to buy a pellet smoker to have to upgrade controllers and probes and add AMAZN tubes to achieve a proper smoke.  I'm starting to think I should take this thing back and reconsider a different smoker.

Does it sound like my unit is working as it should or is something goofy?  I'm keeping this thread as a sticky to myself encase I do have to swap that controller out. This is great info, so thank you guys!

-Mark

Pellet grills often have temperatures that read different that the actual temperature inside the pit. The can be gradients within the grill, and temperature swings of +/-20F or even more are normal. However, shooting up to 340 is not good. I would start by calling the mfg, and see if they can help you troubleshoot. If you decide on getting a new controller, you might check if an Ortech will fit. They are less expensive than PID controller and most everyone that has one likes it. 

As far as inconsistent smoke, that's how pellet grills work - they produce more visible smoke during only part of the cycle. And although it looks bad, white smoke on a pellet grill is not much to worry about. If you saw the same amount of white smoke on a stick burner, the food would be ruined, but combustion properties are much different in  a pellet grill and white smoke does not harm the food.

Even with copious amounts of visible smoke, pellet grills produce a might lighter smoke profile than other smokers. To increase the flavor, try using 100% hickory pellets. Note that all BBQ pellets are 100% hardwood, but that doesn't mean they are 100% of the wood listed on the bag. LumberJack and Cookin Pellets are 2 brands that make 100% flavorwood pellets, but there are several others. Start there. 

Last edited:
Thank you Bregent! Great info.  I actually have already discussed the temp swing concern with PB/Dansons and I hate to say it but the poor kid helping me out I felt knew less about smoking food and grills than I did.  So, my hopes with their CS is not the greatest at this moment.  I told him I would try a couple of smokes to see how it goes before I rest my case on what I'd like them to do.  Last night was strike one on the temp swings.  I'm doing a Fatty for Sunday family gathering, we'll see how that goes. 

I appreciate the info you provided in the other areas as well.  This is a great community because of people like you.  Have a great holiday.

I am using a PB 700s, I experience temp swings typically between 220 to 235 when set to 225 with an occasional up to 240ish. I've never had it go into the 300s and would personally consider that a defect. Using the Psettings does help me maintain low temps better.

Great info to know about the controllers, I have a used 820 I picked up for work and every now and then it has momentary wild temp swings but not always, I have a new 700 I started with for home and so far it has been fairly close. I settled on the PB after using the a traegar one of the guys had at work and also the cost difference. So far I have been very happy with all of our results. 

Well im bummed out. 3rd smoke attempt and I'm still getting temps from under 180 while it smokes (225 setting)to 340+ when it burns. Im taking mine back. Might try a new one or just get money back. I would love this thing if it worked as intended.

Sorry to hear that Mark, while I agree that the product should work a bit better than intended I figured after purchase price plus the PID controller I'm still way ahead of the game and getting such a consistent smoke out of it now that it's just a matter of dialing in the timing. To each their own though honestly. It's really about how much control you want over the whole process, coming from my masterbuilt propane smoker that I would fiddle and tweak all day to keep going consistent pellet grills work like a dream for me, as close to set it and forget it I've ever seen. No matter what it's about what you want and enjoy, smoking meat is something I enjoy doing, fiddling a bit to get that right is ok in my book.

J

grilling_smilie.gif

I picked up a Camp Chef Smokepro STX. Overall i like the product more than the PB so far. Still have some swings on this guy too but not nearly as much as the PB. I did a rack of baby backs yesterday and had great results. Great smoke ring and plenty of flavor.

Glad your PB is working great Speedj. Like you, im stepping up from a Brinkmann gourmet electric so regardless its a great step up. Smoking food is addicting.

Pellet grills often have temperatures that read different that the actual temperature inside the pit. The can be gradients within the grill, and temperature swings of +/-20F or even more are normal. However, shooting up to 340 is not good. I would start by calling the mfg, and see if they can help you troubleshoot. If you decide on getting a new controller, you might check if an Ortech will fit. They are less expensive than PID controller and most everyone that has one likes it. 

As far as inconsistent smoke, that's how pellet grills work - they produce more visible smoke during only part of the cycle. And although it looks bad, white smoke on a pellet grill is not much to worry about. If you saw the same amount of white smoke on a stick burner, the food would be ruined, but combustion properties are much different in  a pellet grill and white smoke does not harm the food.

Even with copious amounts of visible smoke, pellet grills produce a might lighter smoke profile than other smokers. To increase the flavor, try using 100% hickory pellets. Note that all BBQ pellets are 100% hardwood, but that doesn't mean they are 100% of the wood listed on the bag. LumberJack and Cookin Pellets are 2 brands that make 100% flavorwood pellets, but there are several others. Start there. 
I apologize for putting in my 2 cents but the inconsistent smoke is not how all pellet smokers work. I get a slight white smoke when I start my Yoder until the fire gets going, but once I close the lid I get an almost invisible blue smoke the entire time. Doesn't matter if I am running it for 5 hours or 20 hours. I have only used BBQ Delight pellets for the past 3.5 years so I can't say if there is a better pellet out there, but if there is I have no intentions of changing. 

>I apologize for putting in my 2 cents but the inconsistent smoke is not how all pellet smokers work. 

You're right and I should have qualified my statement. My Memphis also produces consistent light blue smoke. But many lower end pellet grills do intermittently produce white smoke and the food they produce does not seem to be adversely affected by it. 

Funny you should ask, I just got one in May for my birthday, I played around with the built in controller but had some really horrid results, swings of 90ish degrees. Now having said that, I asked for and received a PelletPro PID controller for dad's day and got it installed this past weekend and so far pleased with the temperature results, going to get some stuff cooking on it this week.

Hi SpeedJ and thanks for sharing this info! At the end of last year, I bought the Pitboss 700fb and have found that it can manage higher temps fairly well, but the lower temps it has crazy temps swings. I went to do a full brisket this past weekend and had it set at 225 with the plan being, make sure it settles in at 225 and then go to bed with my wireless remote with alarms to make sure the temps didn't get out of line. We'll I spend the next couple hours, trying to figure out why when I had it set at 200, it would drop to 185, then up to 290!! Ain't no brisket going to do well with that! LOL. fought with that thing all night long trying to keep the temps reasonably close. Then I read that others had issues with smoking at low temps (225-ish). Was ready to just pull the trigger on a RecTec but then I found this and it is a lot cheaper way to go then a new RecTec. So the two main questions I have for you are...1) Have you had any long smokes at 225 degrees. 2) Did it hold temp within 10-15 degrees? Thanks again for your post and pics! :)

Hi SpeedJ and thanks for sharing this info! At the end of last year, I bought the Pitboss 700fb and have found that it can manage higher temps fairly well, but the lower temps it has crazy temps swings. I went to do a full brisket this past weekend and had it set at 225 with the plan being, make sure it settles in at 225 and then go to bed with my wireless remote with alarms to make sure the temps didn't get out of line. We'll I spend the next couple hours, trying to figure out why when I had it set at 200, it would drop to 185, then up to 290!! Ain't no brisket going to do well with that! LOL. fought with that thing all night long trying to keep the temps reasonably close. Then I read that others had issues with smoking at low temps (225-ish). Was ready to just pull the trigger on a RecTec but then I found this and it is a lot cheaper way to go then a new RecTec. So the two main questions I have for you are...1) Have you had any long smokes at 225 degrees. 2) Did it hold temp within 10-15 degrees? Thanks again for your post and pics! :)
1) The family are huge fans of Baby backs so my smokes are in the 5-6 hour range everytime.
2) It holds the temp within 5-10 to be honest, I think the maker of this controller says 15 to be safe calculating in wind and other variables that may change the temperature. I cook in the crook of my house, it's shaped like an L the short and long side give a nice little windbreak for the back porch.

Hope this helps!

J :cool:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky