Pit Boss 820

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
G-Rod

I guess they call PMs "conversations" I started a conversation with you regarding your controller.
Thanks

I performed my upgrade to the Smoke Daddy PID this weekend. I noticed right away on the first burn that is was regulating fan speed and auger speed continuously as expected. But the temp was swinging big time. set at 350 and it was going 340 to 395. Does this controller auto learn over time? Will it get smarter with ongoing use and get my temps stable? The first burn was an empty grill with no grates or heatshield so I expect some difference, but not sure what to expect going forward?

Hey Locolagarto and congrats on your upgrade. Yeah, without the heatshield, I think all bets are off as that is an integral part of heat distribution. I have the same PID controller and can keep temps within 5 to 10 degrees on shorter and regular cooks. 2 to 5 or 6 hours. On longer cooks, I've had my fire go out when trying to smoke at 225 degrees. The other thing you'll notice with the PID controller is that you'll use less pellets because of the better heat regulation (which is good) BUT...you don't get the same smoke production (which is bad). Fortunately for like $10-$12, you can buy a smoke box on Amazon that you put pellets in and light it, let it get smoldering, then put in your pit. This adds back a good amount of smoke to whatever it is your smoking. Cheers!

Hey Locolagarto and congrats on your upgrade. Yeah, without the heatshield, I think all bets are off as that is an integral part of heat distribution. I have the same PID controller and can keep temps within 5 to 10 degrees on shorter and regular cooks. 2 to 5 or 6 hours. On longer cooks, I've had my fire go out when trying to smoke at 225 degrees. The other thing you'll notice with the PID controller is that you'll use less pellets because of the better heat regulation (which is good) BUT...you don't get the same smoke production (which is bad). Fortunately for like $10-$12, you can buy a smoke box on Amazon that you put pellets in and light it, let it get smoldering, then put in your pit. This adds back a good amount of smoke to whatever it is your smoking. Cheers!

I thought if the temp dropped below 140 it should re-lite?

My pitboss makes no mention of a auto relight feature

Correct, the stock PitBoss controller does not re-light. but the Smokedaddy PID is supposed to.

Hmmmm, that's news to me. I must have missed that in the manual. To be honest, when I noticed the temp drop to about 160, I got up and turned the temp up to initiate the feed of more pellets. Then once it relit, reset my temp. But I'll definitely test the 140 re-lite feature to see if it does in fact do so.

Thanks!

Pellet grills often have temperatures that read different that the actual temperature inside the pit. The can be gradients within the grill, and temperature swings of +/-20F or even more are normal. However, shooting up to 340 is not good. I would start by calling the mfg, and see if they can help you troubleshoot. If you decide on getting a new controller, you might check if an Ortech will fit. They are less expensive than PID controller and most everyone that has one likes it.

As far as inconsistent smoke, that's how pellet grills work - they produce more visible smoke during only part of the cycle. And although it looks bad, white smoke on a pellet grill is not much to worry about. If you saw the same amount of white smoke on a stick burner, the food would be ruined, but combustion properties are much different in a pellet grill and white smoke does not harm the food.

Even with copious amounts of visible smoke, pellet grills produce a might lighter smoke profile than other smokers. To increase the flavor, try using 100% hickory pellets. Note that all BBQ pellets are 100% hardwood, but that doesn't mean they are 100% of the wood listed on the bag. LumberJack and Cookin Pellets are 2 brands that make 100% flavorwood pellets, but there are several others. Start there.
Thank you Bregent! Great info. I actually have already discussed the temp swing concern with PB/Dansons and I hate to say it but the poor kid helping me out I felt knew less about smoking food and grills than I did. So, my hopes with their CS is not the greatest at this moment. I told him I would try a couple of smokes to see how it goes before I rest my case on what I'd like them to do. Last night was strike one on the temp swings. I'm doing a Fatty for Sunday family gathering, we'll see how that goes.

I appreciate the info you provided in the other areas as well. This is a great community because of people like you. Have a great holiday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
Bought a PB820D and I really enjoy this Unit . In the beginning I Had the Temperatures jump around too, Especially when really windy and or cold , So I adjust the Chimney Cap about a 1 1/2" from the Pipe and really help me and also adjusted the P setting to 5 . So far so good !!

Hey guys. I've been lurking awhile but I figured it's time to add my 2 cents. I got an 820 back around veterans day and have been using it on and off since. I'm still learning this pit but I went ahead and dropped in a Savannah Stoker thanks to feedback I found here. That thing just works, even when in smoking in 15 degree weather in Colorado. I've got my first brisket since upgrading the controller and I'll share results when done.

My biggest frustration with this pit right now is the hotspots. The left side is soooo much hotter than the right. I can have bacon on and the left will be burnt and the right will still be underdone. I've been thinking about trying to improve on the heat distribution. Has anyone done something similar?

Hey guys. I've been lurking awhile but I figured it's time to add my 2 cents. I got an 820 back around veterans day and have been using it on and off since. I'm still learning this pit but I went ahead and dropped in a Savannah Stoker thanks to feedback I found here. That thing just works, even when in smoking in 15 degree weather in Colorado. I've got my first brisket since upgrading the controller and I'll share results when done.

My biggest frustration with this pit right now is the hotspots. The left side is soooo much hotter than the right. I can have bacon on and the left will be burnt and the right will still be underdone. I've been thinking about trying to improve on the heat distribution. Has anyone done something similar?

What I would do since your PB 820 doesn’t really have a heat diffuser. Some Pit Boss pellet grills come with a thin piece of tin that covers the fire pot and it allows for direct grilling, but it’s really not a true heat diffuser.. Your PB 820 doesn’t have a heat diffuser at all, see page 11 of your owners manual... The Flame Broiler and Flame Broiler Slider are acting as your grills heat diffuser, that’s why your grill has hotspots. The left side is hotter then the right and the center is the hottest... Check out the heat diffuser from SmokeDaddyinc, it only cost about $45.00. This is not the Stick Burning Heat Diffuser, but the one that is just as thick with 10 gauge steel and it will even out the temps for you across the entire cooking area. Here’s the link below and if you have any questions, just reach out to them. Their heat diffuser comes in different sizes, so make sure your order the right size in relation to your grills dimensions if you do buy one. Good luck.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/oem-replacment-heat-diffuser-heavy-duty-10-gauge/

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
Reactions: G-Rod
What I would do since your PB 820 doesn’t really have a heat diffuser. Some Pit Boss pellet grills come with a thin piece of tin that covers the fire pot and it allows for direct grilling, but it’s really not a true heat diffuser.. Your flame broiler and flame broiler slider is acting as your grills heat diffuser, that’s why you have hotspots. The left side is hotter then the right and the center is the hottest... Check out the heat diffuser from SmokeDaddyinc, it only cost about $45.00. This is not the Stick Burning Heat Diffuser, but the one that is just as thick with 10 gauge steel and it will even out the temps for you across the entire cooking area. Here’s the link below and if you have any questions, just reach out to them. Their heat diffuser comes in different sizes, so make sure your order the right size in relation to your grills dimensions if you do buy one. Good luck.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/oem-replacment-heat-diffuser-heavy-duty-10-gauge/

Yup. The sliding thing is on a slant with the left being the highest point. It makes sense that it would be warmer there. It is an awfully thin piece of metal. I do like the option to grill directly over the firepot but a real diffuser will make a big difference. I'll check out that link. Thanks.

Hey everyone i'm just curious how or what constitutes a swing? Are you guys looking at the temp gauge on the lid of the smoker or the actual read out on the screen? I just got a PB 1100 and my meat thermometers do not get here until tuesday so was curious what i should be looking for. My plan is to just kind of test it out when i get the meat thermometer and set it to 225 for a while and see what I get between the grill panel, the lid door, and the thermometer. I'll likely do this on wednesday then thursday i'll do 350 and Friday i'll do the smoke setting. Hopefully i'll have good data for some cooks on the weekend.

Hey everyone i'm just curious how or what constitutes a swing? Are you guys looking at the temp gauge on the lid of the smoker or the actual read out on the screen? I just got a PB 1100 and my meat thermometers do not get here until tuesday so was curious what i should be looking for. My plan is to just kind of test it out when i get the meat thermometer and set it to 225 for a while and see what I get between the grill panel, the lid door, and the thermometer. I'll likely do this on wednesday then thursday i'll do 350 and Friday i'll do the smoke setting. Hopefully i'll have good data for some cooks on the weekend.

I go by the temperature reading on the controller screen and compare it to the set temp on the controller screen. The temp gauge on the lid sits directly centered over the burn pot, so it may read a little bit hotter, but I do use both... Your grill will have some noticeable temp swings of 20*-30* plus degrees due to cycling, which is completely normal... it’s adding more pellets to the fire pot. With temp swings like that, You’ll have the benefit of a greater smoke profile for your cook. Not from and added heat, but from the added smoke cycling produces. Preheating Your grill for at least 20 mins is so important for your type and size of grill to allow it’s temp to settled. Some PB Grill Owners have learned the hard way that you can’t just “Set it and Forget it”, but a 20min preheating is required as per the owners manual... After the preheating is completed, then you can set your grill to your desired temp and you’ll see more stable temps and less issues with temp swings. Again, temp swings are not a bad thing unless you see them like 40*-50* degrees plus swings all day, then there could be a problem. Also adding a water pan can help even out and keep your grills temps stable. On a side note and one other thing to consider and understand is that since your PB 1100 allows for direct grilling, which is a key feature many people like... The heat diffuser that allows for direct grilling, really isn’t a true heat diffuser. It’s a trade off to allow the direct grilling feature. The Flame Broiler and the Flame Broiler Slider are acting as your grills heat diffuser, so your grills temp will read and want to run a little hotter, but it’s all completely manageable. There is a learning curve with each brand of pellet grill... If Your style of bbqing is low and slow, and direct grilling is not that important to You as are more stable grill temps, then an option for you would be to get a dedicated true heat diffuser for your grill. I know this may seem like a lot to digest... That’s why it’s so important to ask questions, read and research. I hope the info helps. Good luck.

I go by the temperature reading on the controller screen and compare it to the set temp on the controller screen. The temp gauge on the lid sits directly centered over the burn pot, so it may read a little bit hotter, but I do use both... Your grill will have some noticeable temp swings of 20*-30* plus degrees due to cycling, which is completely normal... it’s adding more pellets to the fire pot. With temp swings like that, You’ll have the benefit of a greater smoke profile for your cook. Not from and added heat, but from the added smoke cycling produces. Preheating Your grill for at least 20 mins is so important for your type and size of grill to allow it’s temp to settled. Some PB Grill Owners have learned the hard way that you can’t just “Set it and Forget it”, but a 20min preheating is required as per the owners manual... After the preheating is completed, then you can set your grill to your desired temp and you’ll see more stable temps and less issues with temp swings. Again, temp swings are not a bad thing unless you see them like 40*-50* degrees plus swings all day, then there could be a problem. Also adding a water pan can help even out and keep your grills temps stable. On a side note and one other thing to consider and understand is that since your PB 1100 allows for direct grilling, which is a key feature many people like... The heat diffuser that allows for direct grilling, really isn’t a true heat diffuser. It’s a trade off to allow the direct grilling feature. The Flame Broiler and the Flame Broiler Slider are acting as your grills heat diffuser, so your grills temp will read and want to run a little hotter, but it’s all completely manageable. There is a learning curve with each brand of pellet grill... If Your style of bbqing is low and slow, and direct grilling is not that important to You as are more stable grill temps, then an option for you would be to get a dedicated true heat diffuser for your grill. I know this may seem like a lot to digest... That’s why it’s so important to ask questions, read and research. I hope the info helps. Good luck.

thank you sir! I did do exactly as you said in my other post and follow the manual to the T (along with your suggestions). I've only done 2 ribeyes so far but i didnt notice any crazy swings maybe +/-5 degrees. I see that most people do experience them and i know my cook was only about an hour long so i'm just trying to be as prepared as possible for what to expect. I agree that going through the process of pre-heating the grill to 350 then moving it to your desired temp is crucial.

I wonder though if you are going to just use it on the smoke setting until your meat reaches its desired IT, would it still be crucial to preheat? I ask because preheating is getting the grill all the way to 350 then to use the smoke setting i think the grill settles between 180 and 190 which takes some time to cool to that point. Would you preheat then turn to smoke and open the lid or preheat then turn to smoke and wait for the 180 to 190 reading with lid closed the? OR just do the initial startup of smoke setting with lid open then when its ready close the lid and let it get to the 180ish mark?

Sorry so many questions I'm just excited to no end to have the grill and try things but its more of a cautiously excited..

thank you sir! I did do exactly as you said in my other post and follow the manual to the T (along with your suggestions). I've only done 2 ribeyes so far but i didnt notice any crazy swings maybe +/-5 degrees. I see that most people do experience them and i know my cook was only about an hour long so i'm just trying to be as prepared as possible for what to expect. I agree that going through the process of pre-heating the grill to 350 then moving it to your desired temp is crucial.

I wonder though if you are going to just use it on the smoke setting until your meat reaches its desired IT, would it still be crucial to preheat? I ask because preheating is getting the grill all the way to 350 then to use the smoke setting i think the grill settles between 180 and 190 which takes some time to cool to that point. Would you preheat then turn to smoke and open the lid or preheat then turn to smoke and wait for the 180 to 190 reading with lid closed the? OR just do the initial startup of smoke setting with lid open then when its ready close the lid and let it get to the 180ish mark?

Sorry so many questions I'm just excited to no end to have the grill and try things but its more of a cautiously excited..

After the preheating is completed, set your grill to your desired temp with the lid closed... Give your grill a few mins to settle. Once you’re ready to add your food to your grill and you open the lid, the temp will drop some. You don’t have to wait til your grills temp drops below 190* degrees before you add your food while on Smoke mode. Your grills temp will settle down to the temp you set it at... Smoke, 225*-250* or whatever. Just add your food, close the lid, relax and let your PB 1100 Pro Series make some fantastic bbq. Keep the lid closed, the more you peek, the more smoke your grill will lose and cooking temperature as well. These tips and instructions will work on the PB 820, Austin XL and the PB Pro Series Grills...

I just purchased a PB 820D2 from Academy a few days ago and have smoked a few items on it for testing and experience.
I have been smoking on a MES 30" which is well insulated so with this new pellet smoker not having any real insulation I was concerned with smoker temperature swings based on wind and cold temps, not that we have much of the cold temps compared to North of Dallas:)
I purchased a simple 3'x3' welders blanket from Amazon, I made cut-outs for the handle, pit lid gauge and hinges.
After I laid the welders blanket on top of the smoker and waited about 60 minutes I checked the pit metal just below the handle, front and back side, and then on the blanket in several places with an infrared laser thermometer.
The difference between bare metal of the pit and the welders blanket was 50-60 degrees.
So I think this blanket is going to be part of my Pellet Smoker setup from now on.

Reactions: RCAlan
Funny you should ask, I just got one in May for my birthday, I played around with the built in controller but had some really horrid results, swings of 90ish degrees. Now having said that, I asked for and received a PelletPro PID controller for dad's day and got it installed this past weekend and so far pleased with the temperature results, going to get some stuff cooking on it this week.

Here's where I started out, this was the first smoke on it had a rough time with the output, it was dry on the tails and all in all not the kind of Cue I'm used to putting out, a lot to do with the temperature swings for sure.

I'll include the photo's so you can see how I did it should this be a route you decide to take all in all, I think we are out just over 500$ with mods to it.

Here she is getting ready to be set on her stack side

Had to pull out the grates so they didn't flop around

Taped up the pellet box lid instead of emptying it out, worked out well

Here's the new controller with the optional mounting plate, which it turned out was needed for the PitBoss 820

Two screws here and two more on the bottom edge of this plate pulls off this protective cover so you can get at the internals

Here's how she looks stock pre-cutting the wire management that I will replace later after the swap

And the back of the stock control board, wish I had thought to get a shot of the PelletPro so you could see it, for reference, Yellow = Fan Red = Motor and Purple = Fire, the White/Black wires are for power

Here you can see the gap that the cover creates so I headed out to the hardware store and got some tapered head M4 and M3 bolts and some washers it took 4 washers a bolt to take up for the gap you see here

The controller covers up the plate mounting holes fairly well, I wish it was just a bit taller but beggars can't be choosers

Here's a couple shots to show you the wiring conversion, Yellow from the smoker goes to Green/White, Red goes to Blue/White and the Braided leads for the fire pot go to the Red/White on the controller.

I did reuse the pit probe from the smoker as it looked sturdier than the one SmokeDaddy included with the kit, here's all the wire management in place before buttoning it up

And here's the readout when it was set for 225, all in a worthwhile upgrade for sure. Where to find the PelletPro: http://smokedaddyinc.com/pid-digital-controller.html
Are there any options for horizontally opposed controllers? I have the pro series 1100 combo and I'd love a pic but all I see are hanky ways of making it work

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky