Picnic Shoulder w/ Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dauntless

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Groton, CT
It;s been a long time since I posted anything but I have been lurking all winter/spring long. Doing a Picnic for some PP tonight and after 5 hours I am at 165 and wrapped. There as been no stall yet at all, and the temp keeps climbing steady. Smoker is at 275 and has not moved from that spot. Just wondering if this will be the fasted shoulder I have ever smoked. Rubbed it down last night with Jeff's rub and used Bourbon/Apple Juice/Brown sugar to inject and mop on when foiling. Pic was at the 5 hour mark just before wrapping for the rest of the smoke!

Beautiful qview! As soon as my machine lets me give you a point....Points!
I think you're lucky enough to have a unique picnic! When you start doing the toothpick test I'll be curious if the outside is drier? But, before "I knew better" I did brisket and shoulder at 300-350 in my offset in under 12 hours and it was always delicious. Well....except once when I turned a brisket into a carbon hunk.

Funny thing, the damn shoulder must be able to read. As soon as I posted this after foiling it has only moved two degrees. I have been stuck at 170-172 ever since.

Looks tasty!

I starts D smoking butts and shoulders at higher temps, 285-300, and I rarely see a stall anymore. I don't foil, so there's no losing ground opening the smoker and removing the meat, opening the smoker again, etc. They just cruise right on through.

Well, it's resting in the cooler. I will pull it in a couple hours. Then into the crock pot to keep warm till the party tonight!

thumb1.gif

Navy Bean!
Lima

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky