Picnic Shoulder w/ Q-View

Discussion in 'Pork' started by dauntless, May 14, 2016.

1. dauntless

dauntless Meat Mopper

It;s been a long time since I posted anything but I have been lurking all winter/spring long. Doing a Picnic for some PP tonight and after 5 hours I am at 165 and wrapped. There as been no stall yet at all, and the temp keeps climbing steady. Smoker is at 275 and has not moved from that spot. Just wondering if this will be the fasted shoulder I have ever smoked. Rubbed it down last night with Jeff's rub and used Bourbon/Apple Juice/Brown sugar to inject and mop on when foiling. Pic was at the 5 hour mark just before wrapping for the rest of the smoke!

bauchjw, rogan and tsonka like this.
  2. bauchjw

bauchjw Master of the Pit

Beautiful qview! As soon as my machine lets me give you a point....Points!
    I think you're lucky enough to have a unique picnic! When you start doing the toothpick test I'll be curious if the outside is drier? But, before "I knew better" I did brisket and shoulder at 300-350 in my offset in under 12 hours and it was always delicious. Well....except once when I turned a brisket into a carbon hunk.

3. If it's done early that's more sampling for the chef before the big meal 😎

4. dauntless

dauntless Meat Mopper

Funny thing, the damn shoulder must be able to read. As soon as I posted this after foiling it has only moved two degrees. I have been stuck at 170-172 ever since.

5. tsonka

tsonka Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

+1 ... that looks really good

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks tasty!

I starts D smoking butts and shoulders at higher temps, 285-300, and I rarely see a stall anymore. I don't foil, so there's no losing ground opening the smoker and removing the meat, opening the smoker again, etc. They just cruise right on through.

7. dauntless

dauntless Meat Mopper

I saved the "rind" this time, I think I am going to fry some up as well!!

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The shoulder looks great so far.

Nice color!

Al

9. dauntless

dauntless Meat Mopper

Well, it's resting in the cooler. I will pull it in a couple hours. Then into the crock pot to keep warm till the party tonight!

10. bauchjw

11. dauntless

dauntless Meat Mopper

12. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Navy bean or white bean soup with homemade bread.

Baked beans, or search here for Dutch's wicked baked beans. Pazole is another good dish to add the bone too.

bauchjw likes this.
  13. bauchjw

:thumb1:
    Navy Bean!

14. Lima