Pickled red hots.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
First, I'm sad to say that my 4 pints of hot pickled sausage and garlic went in the garbage. After setting for almost 2 months they just got too strong of a garlic flavor. Perhaps they would have been fine for others. But it was just too much for me. Meh, nothing ventured....
So, now I'm in need of another batch. This time around I'm looking for more of a store bought style of pickled sausage. Something along the lines of Big John's or Hannah's. Both of which I like.
So, the venture begins. My first goal was to find a red hot that will fit the bill. After some searching I came across these:

PA233293.jpg

Arnold's red hots. Did a quick search on my phone. And found they had good reviews. So into the basket they went.
Next was a recipe for the brine. I choose what was pretty much common for this:
3 TBS pickling spice.
1 TBS Kosher salt.
1/2 TBS crushed red pepper.
1 quart cider vinegar
1/2 quart white vinegar.
These red hots were like little chubs. So I just cut them in half.

PA233295.jpg

The 2 pound pack was perfect for 2 quarts.

PA233294.jpg

Brought the brine to a boil, then lowered to a simmer. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.

PA233297.jpg

I also wanted a brine clear of spices and such like store bought. So after it was done simmering. I gave it a taste test. Tasted like a good brine to me! Then I ran it through a coffee filter. It took three to do all the brine.

PA233298.jpg

All done. And vacuumed sealed.

Never developed a taste for these but, yours sure look and sound good...JJ

I love the hot pickled sausages you buy in the store. It sounds like your recipe will be really good.

Where did you find the red hots? Online? I’ve never seen anything like that in the stores.

I love the hot pickled sausages you buy in the store. It sounds like your recipe will be really good.

Where did you find the red hots? Online? I’ve never seen anything like that in the stores.

At our Walmart. This was the first time I saw them there.

Well nice score!

I just pulled a search on 4 local Walmarts, nothing like that in stock, enjoy them! They look good.

Oops! My bad. I stopped at 3 stores today. These were not from Walmart. I picked them up at the Save a lot. Sorry about that!

final product looks legit, where did you find them sausages?

Oops! My bad. I stopped at 3 stores today. These were not from Walmart. I picked them up at the Save a lot. Sorry about that!

Hope all goes well with this batch. man I could eat the others I've yet to find anything to garlicy for me. In fact I can and do eat garlic cloves. Don't make wife to happy when I do. LOL

Warren

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Steve new batch look great I made some a few years back,with smoked Kielbasi sticks.
Sorry to hear you lost the other ones.
Richie
Likes for the new batch!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky