PHOTOS ADDED - 8th Annual South Florida Gathering 2018 (Nov 17-18)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Special Ingredient for the Rib Comp?

• Yes..this will be fun

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No..let's keep it the same

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think people need to bring and serve whatever they want. This is a time to share something you feel in your heart is something you feel others will enjoy.

I apologize if what I said got anyone upset or hesitant to make what they want too.

My intention was only to point out we were going to have several versions of the same thing. Honestly that is a good thing.

I look forward to trying what everyone has to bring to the table. Mine might be along the lighter healthier side, still waiting to see what Charlyn is able to do.

I am planning on something a little Floribean for snacks during the day....

Reactions: roadkill cafe
What I'm fixing:
Fri Dinner - chicken & cornbread potpie
Sat breakfast - biscuits & gravy & huevos rancheros
Sat snack - pizza bread (Carol's request)
Sat dinner - smoked turkey breasts & mystery side (idk yet)

If we want to do a cast iron cleaning / seasoning demo on saturday I'm up for it. I'll bring my etank.

Just want to get a clarification on the rib comp. Sat. Page 1 says turn-in time will be 2-ish but other posts elude to being dinner time? I would imaging sides would be same time. Also, are we still set at the ribs being St. Louis cut?

Last edited:
haha....watch out orlandosmoking orlandosmoking !! They are coming after your pulled pork smoked beans!

So looks like the decision for mystery ingredient in the Rib Comp is 50/50...has everyone voted?

Question....i'm debating if i need to bring my trailer smoker or not...seems like most people will have their own smoker's so we may not need mine? If we do i have no problem bringing it like always. Just throwing the idea out there.

Looking forward to see all the new and old (not talking age here haha) faces!

Hey everyone, sorry just getting caught up i was hunting/camping all weekend with little cell service. Looks like i missed some messages.

Yes, the Rib comp is later in the day...sorry for the mis-type there. Does 5pm turn-in work for everyone? As of now we will not do the "secret ingredient" as per the polling unless those numbers drastically change. As for what cut of Rib to use...any pork rib is fine. In the past we have not set a hard requirement on the ribs since this is a fun comp to try new recipes, see how others cook their, etc....So Baby Back, Spare and St. Louis cut will all be allowed. Shoot if you want to do beef ribs go for it in my opinion :)

Ill update Page 1 with ojenny ojenny 's updates and the Rib comp time change

Anything i'm missing?

I also agree with Jeramy...if we clog up the day with "too many comps" we'll have alot of the same foods to eat and lack in variety. I personally love seeing everyone different styles of main and side dishes...at this event in the past we have had everything from catfish sushi, cast iron pizza, various spanish/latin dishes, fried foods, and much much more. The variety and creativity that comes out of these is awesome! As of now let's just keep the comps for Ribs and Cocktails. If people do want to compare/compete beans and/or other stuff feel free. Just my thoughts, open to others

I didn't plan on making beans this year as several others have already made plans to. Right now leaning towards a smoked cheese pasta salad that seems to be a hit wherever I have taken it.

I made a pot of Brunswick stew yesterday. Had a bowl for dinner last night. It IS gathering quality, so I’m bring that. I also had a bowl of my SW beans, and while good, there are a little too spicy for my wife and she suggested I go ahead and take them too, so save her some heartburn.

Hey everyone.

We are not going to make it this time. Got family coming in from TX and they wanna go to Orlando.

Have a great BBQ.

Hey everyone.

We are not going to make it this time. Got family coming in from TX and they wanna go to Orlando.

Have a great BBQ.

No Smoked Spaghetti :(........

No worries, have fun with the family and we'll see you next year!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky