pellet smokers/ Treager

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phinfan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 17, 2007
Ogden, Utah
For those that have smoked with both pellet smokers and conventional smokers.  Do you find that you get a more intense smoke flavor from one over the other, if so why?

I have only smoked with a treager and I am completely satisfied, although my only comparisons come from restaurants.  I do find that even though many times I like the moistness and flavor of my meat.  The restaurants often times have more intense smoke flavor.  I have no idea how the restaurants do their smoking.  Can anyone help me understand these issues?

Restaurants are firing up massive pits with whole logs of wood, 4' or more each; you will get a more intense smoke from there than what you do from a home unit.  Many times it isn't as welcome though.  Good que from a professional restaurant is sure good when done right.  But, at home, you can custom-tailor your own flavor profile that no restaurant can match, either, so it's a trade-off. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky