Pastrami Dry Cured From Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
First, let me thank SmokinAl SmokinAl for all of his help, advice and patience guiding me through this 1st time Dry Curing. All went well. Here's pics and descriptions.
2 weeks ago Dry curing 5.5lb Prime Brisket Flat seperated from a whole packer. Point was enjoyed earlier, I'll post that one seperately. Sorry no pics of the curing process, my bad. After daily flipping and massaging it was time to rub, let set for 3 days and finally cook. Here it is all rubbed up waiting for the smoker.
IMG_1884.jpg
I used a Katz' Pastrami recipe I'd used before. Pretty basic Pastrami Rub. Smoked with Maple pellets in the AMNPS tube at 235' for 8.5 hours.
Here it is right after taking out of MES at 172 IT awaiting overnight rest and wrapping for next day slicing and steaming.
IMG_1892.jpg
Here's after I cut a small piece while it was hot, for taste test, plus I couldn't wait anymore to taste.
IMG_1893.jpg
Finally here's the next day some thin slices awaiting steaming and eating on Rye bread with brown mustard.
IMG_1896.jpg
Overall it came out good, not great flavor wise. I think I should have used some Hickory along with the Maple pellets. The Maple was a little too sweet for our liking.
With SmokinAl SmokinAl 's dry cure methods, the look came out a ton better than any I have wet cured in the past. And less messy, which My Wife really appreciated.
I looked at several Rub recipes, I've tried the 5 times I've tried this the last couple of years. The next time I think I'll go back tp the first recipe which is similar to all, except it incorporates Garlic Cloves making it a wet Rub instead of a dry Rub. The 1st time I tried this with the wet Rub, came out the best compared to the dry ones. Thanks for looking, and any other ideas and advice is always appreciated.

Mike

WOW !! I'd be all over that . Fantastic . I used Al's method for eye round pastrami . It was great .
Seriously , that's awesome work right there . First dry cure ? You're hooked now .

Reactions: MJB05615
Thanks Chop. I'll do the dry cure from here on out. Just have to tweak the flavor profile somewhat. Too much maple, and need more Pastrami flavoring. Thanks for the like, very much appreciated. Al's method is superb for sure.

Mike

Man that's awesome! The heck with any bread...just hand me that plate. Nice job!

Ryan

Reactions: MJB05615
Thanks Ryan, that's an interesting thought. Thanks for the like, much appreciated.

Mike

Thanks BB, it was a labor of love.

Mike

That is some fine looking pastrami there my friend!
Very nicely done!
Al
I owe it all to you Sir! I loved the look, tenderness and the texture. Thanks for all of your help and guidance.

Mike

I owe it all to you Sir! I loved the look, tenderness and the texture. Thanks for all of your help and guidance.

Mike

Glad to help, just paying it forward for all the guys that helped me out when I was just starting out!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky