PA Mountain Cabin & Bears (Redid Pictures)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow! That looks like quite the spot. Am I the only one wondering what one of those bears would taste like after bathing in some hickory for a few??
Thanks Lance!!

And you're not alone---As long as they aren't too old & tough they taste great, although I haven't had any myself for years.

Bear

Beautiful place and location.  That's my idea of a retirement home, except for the snow--I've already had 68 years of snow, thank you.  But its sure easy to see why he never sold that property.

Great post John.  Thank you.

Gary
Thanks Gary !!

Yup It's neat there, & Barry loves it.

He had a few divorces & lost a couple homes & cars, but he always managed to keep his Potter County property.

I'm with you---I got my 69th Winter coming up.

Bear

PICS Re-Installed !

After talking about "Pennsy Black Bears" here yesterday, I searched until I found this Thread.
I found ALL of the Pics were gone from the Changeover last year.
So I dug them all out & reposted them for those who never saw them before.

Enjoy,

Bear

nice bear, I thought it's peaceful where I live, I bet that's even more. I could retire to that.

Nice cabin and pics! I am putting up a house in the NE Poconos (Pike Cty) and I am sure I will see the black bear up there as well as waking up to 20 deer on the driveway.

Nice cabin and pics! I am putting up a house in the NE Poconos (Pike Cty) and I am sure I will see the black bear up there as well as waking up to 20 deer on the driveway.

Thank You!!
Pike County???
That's Great !
Pike County was my Hunting & Fishing stomping grounds all of my life.
It's one of the Greatest Bear Counties in PA, because of all the Swamps.
Where abouts in Pike are you building?

Bear

Bear your part of the USA is so darn beautiful!

Pretty jealous of your friend and that winter shot is some thing right out of a dream of the perfect winter setting!

Thank You!!
Pike County???
That's Great !
Pike County was my Hunting & Fishing stomping grounds all of my life.
It's one of the Greatest Bear Counties in PA, because of all the Swamps.
Where abouts in Pike are you building?

Bear
Lackawaxen, in the Masthope Community. I had a house there 8 years ago, sold it after 3 years. My parents have since retired up there and we visit often. My kids grew up skiing at Big Bear in the community. It might be a first step retirement house for us...all depends where my kids end up. My son is a senior at Keene state in NH and my daughter wants to look down south for college. Maybe we will split time in PA and NC??? Would still work out cheaper living in both those states than living here on Long Island.

Bear your part of the USA is so darn beautiful!

Pretty jealous of your friend and that winter shot is some thing right out of a dream of the perfect winter setting!

Thank You Tom!
However last I checked it's pretty Beautiful in WI too!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Lackawaxen, in the Masthope Community. I had a house there 8 years ago, sold it after 3 years. My parents have since retired up there and we visit often. My kids grew up skiing at Big Bear in the community. It might be a first step retirement house for us...all depends where my kids end up. My son is a senior at Keene state in NH and my daughter wants to look down south for college. Maybe we will split time in PA and NC??? Would still work out cheaper living in both those states than living here on Long Island.

We had a Cabin, when I was a Kid, along Saw Creek, off 402, but I fished Trout in all of Pike County & most of Wayne, like Saw Creek, Red Rock Run, Pine Flats, Beaver Run, Browns, Little Bushkill, Shohola, Little Equinunk, Dyeberry, etc, etc.
I fished Lackawaxen too, but never did real good there. We used to call it "Lack-of-Action". But I made up for it catching lots of Shad in the Lackawaxen Pool of the Delaware River, by "Zane Grey". Boy I could tell you stories about that area of PA. Ahhh Memories!!

Bear

Reactions: clifish
yeah we call it losthope in lackofaction PA as well. I plan to put the fly rod to use when we are up there.

yeah we call it losthope in lackofaction PA as well. I plan to put the fly rod to use when we are up there.

If you want to try a Great place, not far from there Lackawaxen, take Rt 6 to Shohola Lake.
I used to fish that a lot before they damned the Shohola Creek & made the Lake.
So go to the North side of the lake, where it crosses Rt 6.
Then find a way down to the Creek on both side of Rt 6. It's pretty steep on both sides on the bridge, but there should be paths going down. I used to like the North side of the bridge better.
Keep an eye open for snakes.

Bear

Reactions: clifish
Awesome - Thanks will look into it. So what I am looking out for, timber rattlers and copperheads?

Awesome cabin!! I've lived in PA all my life, have a cabin of my own in Sullivan county and used to dream of retiring there but lately I've grown weary of the gray sky that's plagued us for the last couple years and have been longing for the sun!

I'm most likely retiring in Dunedin, Fla

I cross the Lackawaxen(sp?) at least once on my way to fly fish in the Catskills and almost always wonder why I'm not fishing it. There's some really awesome looking water in that river.

Awesome - Thanks will look into it. So what I am looking out for, timber rattlers and copperheads?

Mainly Rattlers.
Not sure about Copperheads.
I haven't been there for years. It used to be all Trout, but since they built the Lake, Bass, Pickerel, Crappies, etc have spilled over the Dam, into the Creek.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky