PA Amish Ring Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Last saturday me and my wife went down to Amishville to do the tourist thing. Went to the Bird In Hand farmers mkt and i took this pic of the local smoked goodies. I had to do some ring bologna today.

3ab8b40a_IMAG0241.jpg

Digging deep into my secret vault for a good ring bologna recipe. This is true Amish using buckwheat flour. The buckwheat is in the large bag.

50283376_DSC00818.jpg

fa44ac04_DSC00819.jpg

Mixing the buckwheat with the cold water and other ingredients.

718fbe93_DSC00820.jpg

All mixed and ready for stuffing.

bbb5a5f6_DSC00821.jpg

Ran out of natural bung rounds so i have to use synthetic.

b7572b55_DSC00822.jpg

Just a little over 5 lbs.

e84ce881_DSC00823.jpg

Hanging at 130 no/smoke to dry the casing some. Then PID to 140 with apple smoke....150....160....170 final smoke at temp. After the IT is reached i am going to do a second smoke/cold with apple. The ring on the right is the same size as the others, I just didnt draw it as tight.

f82c0c8c_DSC00825.jpg

That is some great looking bologna man. I bet it tastes even better than it looks

Going with a 2 hour bloom time then in the fridge for a couple days. Cut the hog rings off then vac seal.

1eb5f1f0_DSC00829.jpg

QUOTE:

Ran out of natural bung rounds so i have to use synthetic.

Where do you keep them nepas. In your wallet..................

you are the man...........Awsome

They look great NEPAS, I've never tried it with buckwheat, do you need to add a lot of water to the mix?

Also what are ya using for a PID, I would like to be using one but not sure where to start looking.

Thanks everyone.

I will have some $$ shots later.....After i find out if i left my camera at the Ichiban last night
icon_cry.gif

YAY

I found my camera in the car of all places...LOL

Here are some $$ shots of the ring bologna.

Ready to cut the string and rings off so the vac bags dont get a hole.

aa8eb2c9_rb1.jpg

7ecdfd35_rb.jpg

I have to cut one, look and taste test.

841132d6_rb2.jpg

Oh yeah good bologna. The buckwheat flour gave it a really nice taste, way better than SPC.

1e9bb3a0_rb4.jpg

Casing peels easy. I soaked the casings overnight.

b268e788_rb3.jpg

Passes my test.

8fec6432_rb5.jpg

Ready to fridge and travel next month to NOLA.

52841491_rb6.jpg

Oh Yeah!!!--------Awesome !

I'm surrounded by PA Dutch butcher shops, and--------

That's exactly what they're supposed to look like !!!

NEPAS Rides again!!!   
super.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky