Pâté de Campagne (Country Pate)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Southern Cali.
Well i have been wanting to make this for a long while now but since this feeds about 15 people i need the right occasion. And Christmas was it. So this is my recipe for a country pate!!

2 1/2 pound of fresh ground  pork( i ground it trough a large plate ) make sure you have a good % of fat in the meat.

1 pound turkey breast strips

1 pound of ham cut in strips

1/2 pound portobello mushrooms

1 med. onion

1 pound good bacon for lining loaf pan

2 eggs

1/3 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup of Cognac ( and a few drinks for the Chef also)

2 dried bay leaves

2 teaspoons dried thyme

1 teaspoon of all spice

2 cloves of garlic crushed

1/2 teaspoon of cure# 1

Salt & Pepper to taste.

First off i want say that you don't have to use cure #1 since its going to be cooked in a 350 degree oven. But with out it you wont get the great pink color of the meat. And since they do add it in France i did to.

Well i started by chopping the mushrooms and frying the in a little bit of butter. and after they were cooked i added the onion. let that cool down. Mix together the ground meat, spices( ground in a coffee grinder), eggs, cream, cognac And mushroom and onion mixture. mix with your hand to make a good meat paste. then add meat to the loaf pan top it with turkey strip and ham strips. repeat till till you fill up the pan. top it with 2 more bay leaves and a sprig of thyme. cover with foil and stick in the fridge to cure for 2 days.

After its cured heat oven to 350 and cooked pate in a water bath till it hits 155 degrees internal temp. it can be made a week before eating. serve it cold or at room temp!!!
yahoo.gif

Q-View time

d7cbad11_IMG_20111219_201545.jpg

0d2624a0_IMG_20111219_203446.jpg

After cooking

77a18eb3_IMG_20111222_095913.jpg

3d3d825f_IMG_20111224_184632.jpg

3e911992_IMG_20111224_185455.jpg

That looks great. I've been putting off making a pate` or terrine for a while now cause I thought it would be a pain. But that looks pretty easy. Thanks for sharing the View

Looks awesome brat...................Thanx for the recipe....................
icon14.gif
Copied and saved

Joe

icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man that look awesome and I might have to try that soon like maybe friday. This is a different dish and I have a party to cater that gives me free reign on the menu. So a good terrine would be nice I think heck I'm also doing BBQ sushi and they loved it the first time I did it..

Oh i forgot to add that i also added a bit of paprika about 2 teaspoons of it. just to give it a little smokey hint!! Also you can add chicken livers in the middle of it. i wanted to but my wife is not fawned of chicken livers so i omitted it. But the skies the limit with this recipe add what ever you would like!!

P.S.

does anybody know why it takes so long to upload pics??

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky