Oxtail Osso Buco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Baconyoulikeapig

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 31, 2018
This is my take on Osso Buco using Oxtail served up with some Fontina cheese polenta.

Your basic mirepoix to start, then beef broth, red wine, Worcestershire and balsamic vinegar.

Smoked the Oxtail at 180 for 3 hours using apple. Braised in dutch oven for 4 more hours at 275. The meat just fell off the bone.

Strained liquid, thickened up and drizzled over.

Attachments

• IMG_20200223_190935_467.jpg
    IMG_20200223_190935_467.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 81
Dish presentation is generally my kryptonite. It always looks better in my head and when I go to lay down ingredients it usually doesn't work.

Sounds good. I love Oxtails, my Wife finds them too rich. Too much gelatin.
I would keep the Broccoli together, lean the Tails against the Polenta and add more sauce to the plate, not a puddle but more visible. Still, it does look inviting as is...JJ

Reactions: Baconyoulikeapig
Lol, I thought the Beets were part of the plate decorations. Eyes getting old...JJ

I going to try this. When you smoked you did not have meat in liquid? Would you give out your polenta recipe?

Correct, the meat was not in the liquid for the smoke. I started my sauce when the meat was about about 2.5 hours in.

The polenta is real easy. 1 cup polenta to 3 cups water. Boil water and slowly stir in polenta while whisking to avoid clumping. Turn heat down and continue stirring. When starts it starts to thicken up add salt, a couple TBS butter and 1 cup cheese of your choice (Fontina, parmesan, cream cheese, etc..).

When fairly thick, take a separate dish and spread olive oil around then fill with polenta. Let sit on counter for about 10 minutes to hold its shape. Flip dish on plate and polenta will come out while staying formed.

Let us know how it turns out!

Attachments

• 20200223_132843.jpg
    20200223_132843.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 35
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky