Osso Bucco Default

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I was intending to do short ribs this weekend, but my third stop was another strikeout. Apparently they are popular this month, but it was a local butcher and they had some beautiful Osso Bucco pork shanks that redirected my thoughts. So, I pulled up some inspiration here from tx smoker tx smoker and chilerelleno chilerelleno , did some googling, and took my first dive into Osso Bucco. I did a smoke twist with these, that’s become a “go to” for braises lately, throwing meat on smoker to cook for a while and absorb some smoke flavor.

Here’s the basic recipe I went with:

Ingredients:
  • Approx 5 pounds pork shanks, I had to augment my two shanks with about two pounds pork butt for 5 pound total weight
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour seasoned with sea salt and black pepper to dredge pork shanks
  • Kosher salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons bacon fat or oil
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 2 large carrots chopped
  • 4 ribs celery chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 28 ounce crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 ½ cup chicken stock
  • 4 sprigs thyme
  • 4 sprigs rosemary
I first put pork on smoker. I did not season meat first because it was heritage pork with a lot of flavor already. I was also expecting the rest of the ingredients to have enough seasoning, including dredge.

D6D55039-F089-4CE9-B1BE-60C8C1D04113.jpeg

After about 2.5 hours or so I pulled off after prepping the rest of ingredients.
47DF3815-7939-4633-AF5B-2DF0F0D6FDFF.jpeg

Then dredged in seasoned flour and seared in hot Dutch oven:
18688F07-9C97-485B-AFB1-58954AA9A053.jpeg

This part I screwed up a bit on and would try to figure out better next time, but flour burned to bottom of pan and I had to clean out before adding the veggies, maybe too hot? But still turned out well, just lost some fond.

Then the veggies, I always do garlic last. I also include red pepper flakes at end to bloom.
54238632-2F04-473C-A17B-6D093FEF8FDA.jpeg

Deglazed with wine, cooked down a bit, then stock, tomatoes and paste. Mix to simmer. Then drop in the rosemary and thyme. I opted to go without bay leaf, but will try next time.
AD37E670-3B95-41DC-BD74-01824364D07E.jpeg

Then dropped in the smoked and seared pork. Spooned sauce over the meat to make sure bathed. Covered and placed in pre heated 350 degree oven.
08622F1A-AE32-45FC-8632-7031ADDF68D9.jpeg

I had it in the oven for about another 2 hrs, but I honestly lost track of time for the smoke and the braise. It was a very hectic day. Towards the end I made some garlic, herb potatoes, included a healthy dose of parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, and tarragon. The tarragon and sage were great additions to compliment the pork Osso Bucco.

My meat fell apart completely so I lost the beautiful plate shots that are a hallmark of other great Osso B. dishes here, so I shredded in the pot, removed fat chunks where I could, and still came up with a real tasty diner!

6075FB46-B90D-43D0-9484-F34E7E2B1FCC.jpeg

Shredded and on top of some real tasty creamy garlic herb potatoes! Packed with flavor, such a great dish that sounds so fancy and complicated, but is pretty straight forward. Very enjoyable meal!
1E59A00E-F4D7-4005-B566-8F146021927E.jpeg

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Man oh man that looks great Jed. Something definitely worthy of sitting down to...and seeing up there on the spinner. Excellent job my friend.
but flour burned to bottom of pan and I had to clean out before adding the veggies, maybe too hot? But still turned out well, just lost some fond.
Deglaze the pot with a nice splash of white wine (for pork, red wine for beef) before adding the veggies. You don't want to lose all that goodness that's in the bottom of the pot.

Robert

Looks fantastic! If you want to keep the meat from falling apart, tie each shank with a piece if butchers twine then cut it right when you plate.

I’m not sure about browning after smoking - I think this is one of those things that comes up time to time but I don’t think it’s needed here. Just like I wouldn’t brown a chuck after smoking it when making chili.

Great cook!

Reactions: bauchjw
what a freaking mess! How could you......
Sheesh who am I kidding? Man get me a plate of that and watch out for the elbows flying. Looks darn good to me!

Jim
🤣Thank you Jim! I have a plate here for you! I couldn’t help it, so many pretty plate shots I felt it fell short! Taste was there though!
It looks fabulous and I can only imagine how wonderful it tastes! Lot of work in that meal but no doubt well worth it.
Thank you! Yes, a bit of work, but not as bad as I was expecting! Well worth it! I appreciate your time!
Man oh man that looks great Jed. Something definitely worthy of sitting down to...and seeing up there on the spinner. Excellent job my friend.

Deglaze the pot with a nice splash of white wine (for pork, red wine for beef) before adding the veggies. You don't want to lose all that goodness that's in the bottom of the pot.

Robert
Thank you Robert! Didn’t quite come out as pretty as yours🤣 I was surprised at the red wine in this recipe too, but it’s why I went with it, I’m not the biggest fan of the white wine flavor. Tried my best to save the fond, but it was a black sludge, maybe I used too much fat? I’m pretty sure it would have ruined it….. maybe too hot, too much fat, etc. eh, I’m not sure🤣 it was fun though, tasted great too, thanks for some inspiration!
Damn that looks amazing!
Thank you! Very tasty, lots of fun to do too! I appreciate your time!

Reactions: negolien
That looks tasty as all get out! Next time you really mess up a meal like this let me know...I'll take it off your hands and suffer through it! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Looks fantastic! If you want to keep the meat from falling apart, tie each shank with a piece if butchers twine then cut it right when you plate.

I’m not sure about browning after smoking - I think this is one of those things that comes up time to time but I don’t think it’s needed here. Just like I wouldn’t brown a chuck after smoking it when making chili.

Great cook!
Thank you Sir! I’ll definitely try the twine trick. I do a lot of chuck and chicken braised and don’t normally brown after a smoke start. For this one I I thought it’d be another texture and flavor, but you’re right, definitely not needed. I appreciate the feedback and your time!
Looks awesome, I'm in for some!!
Thank you, you’re welcome anytime!
Dang!! That's a beautiful plate!
Thank you KC! I appreciate the compliment!
Fantastic cook Jed!
Thank you Sir, I appreciate it!
Awesome job Jed! Love the final plate on top of the mashed potatoes. I do pulled beef the same way pretty often
Thank you Jake! I have to say I’m partial to the beef, but this was pretty darn tasty! I appreciate you!

Reactions: kilo charlie
That looks tasty as all get out! Next time you really mess up a meal like this let me know...I'll take it off your hands and suffer through it! :emoji_blush:
Thank you Ryan, I think you have more than enough pork for us to have a go! Welcome anytime!
Nice meal Jed, I would drive down there for a plate of that. I have not made OB in a long time.
Thank you Cliff! You’re welcome anytime!
Fantastic cook bud thanks for sharing.

View attachment 651038
🤣Thank you!

You hit a home run with that one Jed. Looks fantastic!!!

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky