Ostrich Steaks on the Kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
Had a gift certificate for Wild Fork, so decided to try something new... Ostrich Steaks!
I lightly dry brined the steaks in the fridge with some sea salt for about 4 hours.
Ostrich 1.jpg

coated with some black pepper and garlic powder and seared over the Vortex.

Ostrich 2.jpg

Ostrich 3.jpg

Cooked up some chicken in case of a fail....
Ostrich 4.jpg

Pulled from the grill at 125 and let rest for 10 minutes
Ostrich 5.jpg

Made a sauce with Red Wine, Beef Stock, Garlic, Onion, Butter and some mushrooms.
Ostrich 6.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture, but it turned out perfectly medium rare and was so tender!
I chose not to add any wood/smoke, as I was unsure as to how delicate the flavor was and did not want to over power, next time I would use maple or pecan for a light smoke flavor.

Thanks for looking!

- Jason

Man...like others here, I'd have never guessed they would look like top shelf beef, but they sure as heck look good!! Never had it before, or even seen it before, but I'd tear it up should somebody put a plate of that in front of met. Now ya got me thinking...and that can be a dangerous thing.

Robert

Reactions: millerbuilds
Looks awesome. 👍
Thank you!
- Jason
Very interesting, looks very good! Thanks for sharing this!
Thanks & you are welcome!
- Jason
Well there's a protein you don't see everyday on SMF! Nicely done!!! Looks good!
Thanks Much, I saw it in the freezer case, pulled up my phone to see how it tastes and how to cook it. Found a bunch of recipes from Europe and decided to give it a whirl.... as you can see, I had a back up plan of some chicken breasts in the event of a fail.
- Jason

Reactions: indaswamp
That looks Awesome, Jason!!
Nice Job---Like.
I had Ostrich one time, back around the year 2000.
I built the 24' Bar for the "Spinnerstown Hotel", and helped install it.
I also built 2 of their kitchens and some Waitress Stations.
So one day they made me an Ostrich Steak Dinner (on the House) while I was there.
It was Outstanding, but way over my price range.

Bear

Reactions: millerbuilds
I would have expected ostrich to look more like really big chicken and not beef. I guess I need to learn more about gigantic birds that can kill you. How did it taste?
Thanks!
It was great tasting, I would compare the flavor to that of beef, and the consistency of venison.
- Jason

Looks good from where I'm at.

Every time I've tried Ostrich it's been tough.
Tough luck I guess.
Thanks Chile! I treated it like venison and cooked it to a Rare+/Med Rare
Now that's a new 1 for me also.
I am also surprised at the colour of the meat

nice cook

David
Thanks David!

You sir, had me at ostrich steak! Looks and sounds amazing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky