Old Fashioned Loaf Lunch Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I couldn't wait, bird! I left work early & got a loaf ready to cook tomorrow afternoon.

I'm not sure if I'll smoke or not. I may just do it in the oven. I used the wife's meatloaf pan & there's not much to smoke but the top. If I smoke I'll be using Apple.
You should check out that pellet smoking site. There's a Honey Loaf variation that looks interesting.

Dan

Looks good! Did you get a chance to finish it? I got all my ingredients rounded up yesterday so I am itching to get started tomorrow.

I hope you gave yourself plenty of time! I didn't start soon enough and was up til midnight waiting for the last few degrees. Aarrgghh!
I'm done and sliced, but you get 1st post since you got this ball rolling [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Dan

I hope you gave yourself plenty of time! I didn't start soon enough and was up til midnight waiting for the last few degrees. Aarrgghh!
I'm done and sliced, but you get 1st post since you got this ball rolling [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Dan

Please, be my guest! I had to postpone until tomorrow because I was called in for work.

Well, I finally got to sit down and officially try my attempt at this recipe tonight. It was better than I had hoped! It had the flavor and texture I was looking for and took me back to being a kid sitting at the table with my grandpa eating an Old Fashioned Loaf sandwich. I ended up going with Hickory wood, mostly because I was smoking 6 chickens for my wife and her mother and that's what she likes. I definitely ended up with more than I needed, but my father and brother were more than happy to take some off my hands [emoji]128512[/emoji]. I sliced it thin on the slicer and washed it down with a cold RC cola! If you're on the fence trying it for yourself, you shouldn't be. Thanks again for finding the recipe Pops!

That's awesome to hear!  I'm glad it turned out so well.

I think I have found myself on a sandwich meat kick after doing my Pastrami Loaf and it turning out so amazing.

I was at the grocery store today and was asking for turkey breast but they only had whole cooked ones.  I figured I would smoke some boneless turkey breast then slice and vac seal them for sandwiches, salads, and soups :)

I just settled on buying 4.75 pound of turkey drums to give a shot at doing cured and smoked turkey legs like you get vac sealed at the grocery store or people report getting at Disneyworld/land (I've never been so don't know but they look like the store cooked vac sealed ones).

Between my smoked fanks, IT cooked bacon,  the pastrami loaf, and the idea to do smoked turkey breast I'm really beginning to venture into sandwich meat heaven hahahaha.  I have a ham making kit as well.  All I need is a green ham and I will be able to add ham meat list of sandwich meat to conquer, but I would rather eat that as ham than sandwich meat.  

Oh, my buddy also wants me to do some German Bologna but I'm not doing that unless he comes and helps me grind, stuff, slice, and clean up any of the mess we make to do it all hahahha.

Again, awesome job!

Great to see that you finally got a chance to make it and it turned out well, birdman! Looks like you had issues getting it all in a pan as well LOL!

I actually thought mine was a little too sweet or maybe needed a little kick. It seems tasty but a little bland to me, but a neighbor who took a lb of it raved about it. Different tastes, I guess.

I'll definitely be doing it again once I get through what I have. Thanks for asking about it and turning me on to another thing I had no idea you could make at home!

sausage.gif

Well, I finally got to sit down and officially try my attempt at this recipe tonight. It was better than I had hoped! It had the flavor and texture I was looking for and took me back to being a kid sitting at the table with my grandpa eating an Old Fashioned Loaf sandwich. I ended up going with Hickory wood, mostly because I was smoking 6 chickens for my wife and her mother and that's what she likes. I definitely ended up with more than I needed, but my father and brother were more than happy to take some off my hands [emoji]128512[/emoji]. I sliced it thin on the slicer and washed it down with a cold RC cola! If you're on the fence trying it for yourself, you shouldn't be. Thanks again for finding the recipe Pops!
That's what we're here for, you are more than welcome!  Thank you for asking!  Now, we have a recipe on our forum for it as well so others don't need to look further (and of course dedicated to the original site!).

That's what we're here for, you are more than welcome! Thank you for asking! Now, we have a recipe on our forum for it as well so others don't need to look further (and of course dedicated to the original site!).
i tried making the old fashioned loaf but it came out very dry and tough,i smoked it with hickory,used pork butt 80-20 ground beef, maybe i will try again in oven i kept smoker at 200 degreees,any help? the onlp place i had it was a store called grand union in vermont its no longer open

Can anyone advise if you need to emulsify the meat for this recipe linked above? There is some discussion on it in this thread but no definitive answer. The recipe says coarse grind and makes no mention of grinding finer or emulsifying so I'm wondering if I can just use store grind 80/20 beef and store ground pork? This looks like a simple project I can put my Smokin Tex to work on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky