München Weißwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Schwarzwald Metzger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
To say I love German sausage is an understatement. The only thing I love more is Led Zeppelin, but not by much.

To date I have not found any place in the US that gets the true flavor profile of weißwurst correct. Below is my take on the Bavarian weißwurst.

For the recipe I followed my standard sausage percentage profile of 60 / 40 lean to fat ratio.
- 6.5 lbs Duroc pork tenderloin
- 2.5 lbs Iberrico fat back
- 10% Ice water
- 2% Cutter phosphate
- 2% Kosher salt
- .5% White pepper
- .25% Mace
- .25% Ground mustard seed
- .15% Chives
- 1 Bunch of parsley
- 2 Lemons zest
- 32 mm hog casings

I started of with chopping up the pork and fat... The Iberrico fat came White Oak Pastures in Bluffton, GA. (Great customer service and easy delivery)

I threw the salt and seasonings into my spice grinder and ground them into a fine powder and mixed it with the fat and meat. Once mixed I threw the entire bowl into the freezer for 3 hours until the thermometer read 30 degrees fahrenheit.

IMG_20231021_113030516.jpg
IMG_20231022_115736062.jpg
IMG_20231022_120939745.jpg

Once the meat and fat hit 30 degrees, I ground the blend on the 4.5 mm plate.

IMG_20231022_144338546.jpg

I then put the mixture back into the freezer until mixture was back at 30 degrees fahrenheit and ground it through 3 mm plate.

IMG_20231022_184047363.jpg

After grinding through the 3 mm plate, I threw it back into the freezer until mixture was at 30 degrees fahrenheit. Once it hit my target temperature I ran the ground meat and fat through my food processor where I added the lemon zest, chives, parsley, cutter phosphate, and ice water-- transforming the mixture into a meat paste.

IMG_20231022_190725460.jpg

At this point I stuffed the meat paste into the hog casings.

IMG_20231022_204106752.jpg
IMG_20231022_211503816.jpg

After stuffing it was getting late so I held off on poaching until the next day. In hindsight, I should have covered the sausage to prevent the skins from drying out and taking on a darker color... But it was late, and I was tired.

The next day I poached the sausages at 176 degrees for 30 minutes. In hindsight I would have done this in several smaller batches.

IMG_20231023_190701205.jpg

After 30 minutes, I pulled the sausage from the hot water and dropped them into ice water.

IMG_20231023_190850514.jpg

At this point the sausages were fully cooked and had firmed up significantly.

I recooked two for plating with a sweet and spicy Bavarian mustard.

IMG_20231023_191807460.jpg

The texture and flavor of the sausages were incredible. I ate them the traditional way of removing the skin.

IMG_20231023_192351109.jpg

As you can see they kept their shape and texture perfectly.

IMG_20231023_192213234.jpg

IMG_20231023_192455947.jpg

Besides leaving them uncovered overnight and not poaching in smaller batches, they turned out absolutely awesome. Had I done those two steps they would been more white.... At this point I'm just splitting hairs about aesthetics...

I highly recommend anyone with a love of German sausage to try out this weißwurst recipe.

Absolutely outstanding. I will be doing this recipe again.

-Brad

Very Nice! High level skill to pull off an emulsified sausage. Bravo! And congrats on making the carousel.

Cajuneric just posted a German Bockwurst and Currywurst couple days ago on Celebrate Sausage Season 4.

Very Nice! High level skill to pull off an emulsified sausage. Bravo! And congrats on making the carousel.

Cajuneric just posted a German Bockwurst and Currywurst couple days ago on Celebrate Sausage Season 4.
Thanks man. I will be checking out the Bockwurst for sure.

Looks real good. We had this while in Germany.

My wife's sister lives just outside of Magdeburg, but they buy it at a meat counter.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Strong work right there . Weisswurst is one of my favorites .
I used to get it from Swiss meats in Hermann Mo. , or I can buy it from Hermann Wurst Haus , also in Hermann Mo. but have never tried theirs .
checking out the Bockwurst
I've made the Bockwurst from Marianski's site . It's a good one .
I use the 176 degree poach for 30 minutes . Gives great texture on the sausage . That's my go to for this . Works perfect .
I also started using potato starch ( at a reduced rate ) for emulsified stuff . I've tried phosphates and milk powder , but the starch gives a texture I like better for this type . Sodium erythorbate aides in the emulsifying as well .
Bockwurst after poaching . Starch and sodium erythorbate for binder .
20211008_103552.jpg
You don't need any lessons from me . Just thought I would mention the potato starch .
Really nice Weisswurst , and great layout of the thread . Thanks for posting .

Strong work right there . Weisswurst is one of my favorites .
I used to get it from Swiss meats in Hermann Mo. , or I can buy it from Hermann Wurst Haus , also in Hermann Mo. but have never tried theirs .

I've made the Bockwurst from Marianski's site . It's a good one .
I use the 176 degree poach for 30 minutes . Gives great texture on the sausage . That's my go to for this . Works perfect .
I also started using potato starch ( at a reduced rate ) for emulsified stuff . I've tried phosphates and milk powder , but the starch gives a texture I like better for this type . Sodium erythorbate aides in the emulsifying as well .
Bockwurst after poaching . Starch and sodium erythorbate for binder .
View attachment 679286
You don't need any lessons from me . Just thought I would mention the potato starch .
Really nice Weisswurst , and great layout of the thread . Thanks for posting .
Thanks for the reply. That bock looks absolutely perfect. Going through old German sausage making recipes, many call for the use of potato starch. I will absolutely give it a try. Thanks again, and great work on yours!

Looks killer! I can say with no hesitation that weisswurst the sole reason I got into making sausage. I ate it for years before I knew it was a breakfast sausage. Once I tried it then I was HOOKED! I got a recipe I've been playing with and so close to where I want it. Not a traditional one but is really easy to make.

20221124_094210-jpg.jpg

Looks killer! I can say with no hesitation that weisswurst the sole reason I got into making sausage. I ate it for years before I knew it was a breakfast sausage. Once I tried it then I was HOOKED! I got a recipe I've been playing with and so close to where I want it. Not a traditional one but is really easy to make.

View attachment 679292
That looks outstanding. I'll check out your recipe if it is on this forum.

Reactions: zwiller
That looks outstanding. I'll check out your recipe if it is on this forum.
THANKS. Have not posted it yet. Have not had legit german stuff so cannot say mine is accurate but mine is as good or better as my local stuff.

On the emulsified thing... I made weisswurst (WW) along long time simply doing a double fine grind. Honestly, works really good. If are really into emulsified stuff check some champion mixer threads here. That said, not night and day differences in double grind/FP/Champion so do not let this keep your from making it.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
THANKS. Have not posted it yet. Have not had legit german stuff so cannot say mine is accurate but mine is as good or better as my local stuff.

On the emulsified thing... I made weisswurst (WW) along long time simply doing a double fine grind. Honestly, works really good. If are really into emulsified stuff check some champion mixer threads here. That said, not night and day differences in double grind/FP/Champion so do not let this keep your from making it.
Well I am looking forward to the post. I'm always interested on the personal touches added to the classics.

I will check out those threads

Brad

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky