Old dogs don't need to smoke to get high!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Well there's none of the good stuff in dog approved cannabis. But here is good things in the stuff that's formulated for them.

Our oldest dog Hank is 14. Back hips are giving him issues. Seems to be the case with most old big dogs. We had to put down our Snow Dog Kiska a year and a half ago.

So Hank is getting the royalty treatment. Therabis up and moving to help with the joints (yes pun intended).

It's in powder form and is "beef flavored" but trying to get him to eat or lick it off his normal food wasn't going good. He loves chicken. In fact he grabbed a whole spatchcocked one off the counter several years back. It was raw. By the time I figured it out we were down to a half chicken. No we didn't smoke that half.

Somknow he gets his meds on a bed of chopped grilled chicken thighs.

Hope my wife treats me this good when I'm in my 90's!

2711b32fbbd87f979ebc249cde02434b.jpg

fb84492cf05758c5008323a7c0fcf657.jpg

47c1fbda325dfec4aa5a4ae497a6484b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rabbithutch
431407d2a1d9ceb1155d34363bedfc35.jpg

That's what 16 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs looks like before heading to the chopping block!

Reactions: noboundaries
Lucky dog! My Jack Russell would like that meal,he has stolen too much food over the years

It's amazing what we will no for our pets. Been making my dog's food for a few yrs now. I save all the scraps from deer season. Our guys usually get 20+ deer a yr, so that's alot of scraps. Mix chicken, beef, peas, brocilli, tuna, as well as some suplaments with the venison. Goes a long way.

Reactions: tripleq
Four more weeks of chicken packed up.

Normally buy it weekly and cook it. But it was on sale. May get another months worth tomorrow if it's still on sale. Bought all they had this morning.

e12a626cac145768e58fc8b3bca37286.jpg

Used the quart zipper bags from Lisa.

I want to know how the chicken taste with the special seasoning??? and does it make you hungry after you eat it?

Hey dirt, this is where I started, cooking chicken, making sure there were no bones ect. There is quite a bit of research out there about the benefits of a raw food diet. Although everything I read says raw poultry bones are ok, I couldn't get over that hump. So I get a case of leg quarters, 40lbs for 18 bucks, some tripe, chicken hearts, turkey necks, spinach, carrots, whole eggs and grind it up, bones , shells, skin and all. Vac pack it in proportion size. (2.5% of dogs weight) I do spike it with meds when necessary, I add fish oil occasionally. I spend less time than when I was cooking it , that's for sure. What I can say is they have never been healthier, skin problems, gone. ear problems gone. and as a side benefit, the poop piles are substantially smaller. 

A friend of mine at work has four dogs, three have allergies and he feeds them all raw chicken(bones and all). He buys from a local processor by the case. He's been doing this for about three years and their dogs allergies seem to have subsided. 

Chris

Case very nice I had dogs almost all my life,they become part of the family

Richie

icon14.gif

Hey dirt, this is where I started, cooking chicken, making sure there were no bones ect. There is quite a bit of research out there about the benefits of a raw food diet. Although everything I read says raw poultry bones are ok, I couldn't get over that hump. So I get a case of leg quarters, 40lbs for 18 bucks, some tripe, chicken hearts, turkey necks, spinach, carrots, whole eggs and grind it up, bones , shells, skin and all. Vac pack it in proportion size. (2.5% of dogs weight) I do spike it with meds when necessary, I add fish oil occasionally. I spend less time than when I was cooking it , that's for sure. What I can say is they have never been healthier, skin problems, gone. ear problems gone. and as a side benefit, the poop piles are substantially smaller. 
Yes we have read up on the raw chicken diet too. However SWMBO will have none of that in our house...

So it'll be cooked chicken for this project.

Old dog also gets fish oil too.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I don't have all that much faith in dry dog food so I save and freeze all the trimmings from any meat we cook and all the carcasses. They go into the BIG pot about every 6 weeks along with carrots, cabbage, celery, bell peppers and any other left over veggies, a couple of quarts of beef broth, and any fat and trimmings from the smoker. This cooks all day and is then packaged up and frozen. By the time a week sized container thaws, the excess fat is easily skimmed off the top. Every nite for supper Roxy gets a healthy serving of this mixed in with her food and arthritis supplements.

It takes most of a day to make up the "dog stew" but I figure she's more than worth the effort.

Gary

Last edited:
We have 2 big dogs and I am in the same boat, SWMBO says cooked only, one gets greens beans tossed in the other will just eat around them. We get 10 lbs bags of the boneless/skinless and boil them and shred to add to the bowls. But if up to me the dogs would get what ever they wanted, problem is spaghetti causes a very upset stomach for one of them, so I am no longer allowed to just give them anything. 

For those of you that do raw food, did you have to do any kind of switch time like you do when going from one dry food to another?  We have 2 German Shepherds and I have been thinking about going the raw food diet.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky