OKJ Highland Reverse Flow users?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Twomorestrokes

Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Second season of using this smoker and wondering what other owners think about theirs? Not sold on mine yet. Only has a couple basic mods including lower heat plate/baffle, cook chamber seal and latches. Haven't seen much improvement over my well worn basic CharGriller offset with no modifications.

Attachments

• 20220522_094402.jpg
    20220522_094402.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20220522-094231_Photos~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220522-094231_Photos~2.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 24
Not much help with the reverse flow OKJ. I picked up a used standard flow highland back in the winter, but I haven't played around with it a whole lot yet. The "V" grate setup for running splits is supposed to be the best way to maintain temps on these smokers.

Reactions: Twomorestrokes
Not much help with the reverse flow OKJ. I picked up a used standard flow highland back in the winter, but I haven't played around with it a whole lot yet. The "V" grate setup for running splits is supposed to be the best way to maintain temps on these smokers.
I did try that last summer and it worked fairly well. I may tack weld something like that together. Been using the basket that I got with it lately.

I did try that last summer and it worked fairly well. I may tack weld something like that together. Been using the basket that I got with it lately.
Yeah, I am also going to weld up a v grate from angle and expanded metal I can just drop in the firebox as a more permanent way of doing it. I just haven't got to it yet.

Reactions: Twomorestrokes
I'm actually thinking about getting a second stack and installing it on a conventional side and using it as a conventional offset smoker instead of a reverse flow. That way I could still use it either way, depending on which stack I opened and closed and it would also be much easier to use as a conventional grill. I could then get rid of my other two old grills and have one that does both. My friend ran a barbecue joint and had a monstrous reverse flow smoker and it worked great but a small budget version just doesn't seem to do the same job.

That being said I am still open to any kind of advice on improving the performance of this thing

I've got the straight Highland - bought it two summers ago on a whim because I saw a sale I couldn't refuse. I like it a lot but I've done a lot of mods.

I think of the COS's, defined by less than quarter inch steel, OKJ is probably the best.

Having said that, Jirby recommends sticking with what you have, saving your money and getting a Mill Scale 94. :-)

I thought the reverse flow was switchable without having to buy a 2nd stack. Can't one just loosen a screw and move the stack to the conventional side?

I like the idea of the reverse flow, but for some reason, the straight Highland is rated higher on Amazon than the reverse. Why? I don't know. One thing that bugs me about the reverse flow is that the stack is on the side.

Re the firebox, the V shape grate is an improvement over the stock set up, but a charcoal basket is a vast improvement over the V shape. See Smoke Trails BBQ on youtube.

My highland cooks very nicely with even temps from right to left, but it took some mods to get there.

Good luck

I've got the straight Highland - bought it two summers ago on a whim because I saw a sale I couldn't refuse. I like it a lot but I've done a lot of mods.

I think of the COS's, defined by less than quarter inch steel, OKJ is probably the best.

Having said that, Jirby recommends sticking with what you have, saving your money and getting a Mill Scale 94. :-)

I thought the reverse flow was switchable without having to buy a 2nd stack. Can't one just loosen a screw and move the stack to the conventional side?

I like the idea of the reverse flow, but for some reason, the straight Highland is rated higher on Amazon than the reverse. Why? I don't know. One thing that bugs me about the reverse flow is that the stack is on the side.

Re the firebox, the V shape grate is an improvement over the stock set up, but a charcoal basket is a vast improvement over the V shape. See Smoke Trails BBQ on youtube.

My highland cooks very nicely with even temps from right to left, but it took some mods to get there.

Good luck

I tend to remember his video not necessarily giving the win to the firebasket. It did some things well, but it did other things not as well. <edit: not in the "do mods make a difference" video--that video he acclaimed the firebasket>

An older video, he gave a different conclusion:

1) You can wait longer beford adding splits (3-5 min or so) on v-grate
2) V-grate supports lower temps better
3) It's free
4) (he missed saying that you can also add splits via the side door which is a pro)

Sometimes it's hard to keep his recommendations straight. He changes his smoker a lot so I think that's partly why. For example, his older video he didn't have a stack extension yet and mentions a con that the v-grate method has slower starts. I can assure you that with a stack extension and with the smoker properly heat soaked, wood starts right away in my experience

He states the cons of the firebasket being pretty inverse of the above: hotter temps burns, more coal bed refreshes, and costs money.

I would find it to be annoying to have to open the main firebox chamber to add splits IMO. Infact, this is affecting his results because obviously when you open the fire box door wood ignites faster, regardless if it's the v-grate method or the firebox method, so that conclusion could possible be tainted unless he added wood the exact same way each time. I've only used my highland once so I have a long time before I REALLY learn it well, but I tended to add splits via the side door about 70% of the time. 30% of the time I did it via the top, and these were because the smoker wasn't heat soaked yet and required a little extra help getting ignited fast or when I waited too long before adding by getting pre-occupied. This was my error though and not the error of the v-grate. I let the smoker get to 225 (slowly) before I started cooking on it, but next time I'm going to get the smoker to 350 before I start cooking on it.

The V-grate is essentially a firebox without walls. I'm not convienced it's "better", but I'll certainly try it if someone gave one to me. They're not necessarily cheap, and you're better off doing the stack extension or the exhaust lowering kit because those are theoretically sound recommendations.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky