Okay, you have convinced me...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I have 2 pork shoulders in the freezer that are in need of BBQing and I intend to do just that.

I heard from some posters about cooking a shoulder with no seasoning at all, just smoke, heat, and meat.

I am going to do a side by side cook with one shoulder fully loaded and one plain.

The first one will get Kosmos Q pork injection and Jeff's Original Rub.

The second shoulder gets nothing but a reassuring pat before going into the pit.

This may take a bit as my schedule is horrid right now but I am planning future smokes and builds to keep may sanity in this involuntary interlude from smoking.

Can't wait......

JC

Sounds like a plan. How do you like the Kosmos Q products? See them all over amazon but have never tried them out

I have only used it once on another pork shoulder. I mixed the injection with apple juice per the package directions.

The pork turned out very tasty and juicy and I would use the injection again.

The issue I had with the injection is that it seemed to mute the pork flavor a bit. I think this was due to using apple juice for the liquid. Not sure how it would work with water or another liquid.

I was kind of expecting a bit of a wow factor when I tasted the pork which I didn't get.

It was still very good and I would use Kosmos Q products again.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I generally use just a lite sprinkling of SPOG on butts and shoulders. I enjoy the taste of the pork. I can always add rub or sauce to the finished product, but you can never remove it once it's there.

Chris

A butt is such a thick piece of meat that to get more flavor inside you have to inject it with something. I'm looking forward to seeing your results & conclusions.
I do naked ribs all the time, cause I like the taste of the pork, but the smoke penetrates deep into the ribs since they are much thinner than a butt.
Good luck & this is definitely a worthy experiment!
Al

Reactions: JC in GB
I stopped putting seasoning on butts, chucks, and pork ribs about a year ago. I prefer them that way. To me they always came out over seasoned no matter how light I went with the rub.

I'm sure it's a personal preference kind of thing. I've never been much of one to even salt food.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky