Okay, you have convinced me...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Here are the results of my side by side test of pork shoulders with injection and seasoning and with nothing but smoke, heat, and meat. First off I must apologize for not getting a pic of the cooked butts before I pulled them.

Here is the pork butt after I got done injecting with Kosmos Q original pork injection.

20190812_065725_resized.jpg

Here is the fully seasoned butt along side the unseasoned butt. Ready for the pit.

20190812_070422_resized.jpg

Here is the finished pulled product. Unseasoned butt on the right. Both shoulders got a nice bark layer in the smoker.

20190812_183921_resized.jpg

Report:

1) Seasoned butt was injected and seasoned with Kosmos-Q original pork injection, Lawry's seasoned salt, and Jeff's Original Rub. Butts were smoked in my Stump's Baby at 250 degrees F with Pecan and apple chunks using GFS charcoal briquettes. (I am fairly certain these are Royal Oak.) Wrapped at 170, smoker temp increased to 275 degrees F, and pulled at 201 degrees F. (367 K)

2) First taste impression of the unseasoned butt: I pulled a piece of the bark off the unseasoned butt and was first hit by the lack of salt. This quickly subsided as the pork flavor shined through. I was amazed at the amount of flavor the unseasoned butt had. That said, I now know why I don't like most restaurant pulled pork. After the first couple bites, the pork really started tasting bland and demanded some additional seasoning which I added but it wasn't the same as having the seasoning integrated into the cook. For someone with sodium restrictions, this is really the way to go as you can control every grain of salt that goes into your finished product.

3) Injected and seasoned butt: This shoulder was a bit more moist and tender than the unseasoned butt. I injected the shoulder with Kosmos-Q injection using water and package directions then used Lawry's seasoned salt before a generous sprinkling of Jeff's Original Rub. The shoulder had a good flavor but didn't have the clean pork flavor of the unseasoned butt. That said, everyone seemed to want to eat more of the seasoned butt.

4) Conclusion: If you want a good clean pork flavor, go with the unseasoned approach. The unseasoned butt could not have been any easier to prepare. The freedom to add your own salt and flavorings to the finished pork can make it more versatile. The seasoned and injected butt took longer to prep but I feel the end result was worth the extra prep. The seasoned butt had a more complex flavor. I may try smoking an unseasoned butt again in the future if I want to purpose the pork for multiple applications, pozole, tacos, breakfast meat, etc...

Thanks for watching....

JC :emoji_cat::emoji_cat:

Last edited:
Good to know!
At least you can always season the pork butt afterwards if it's too bland, or let family season it however they want once it's on their plate.

Reactions: JC in GB
Great Experiment, JC!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

I'll never forget the first Ribs I did:
After Rubbing a few Butts with a pretty spicy Rub, I got ahold of my first Pork Ribs. I laid the Rub on just like I had been doing with my Butts, not thinking about how Thin the Ribs were, compared to the 8 pound Butts I had been doing.
Boy did I get the Evil Eye!!! These were even too spicy for me, so they had to really be Bad for Mrs Bear!!! Well I had to eat a lot of Ribs all by myself for a few days!!!
It takes a lot more seasoning to get to all the meat on a Butt than it takes on a Rack of Thin Ribs that are Half Bone!!

Bear

Thanks for this. I've wondered what an unseasoned butt would taste like, but didn't want to spend all those hours smoking something I might not like.

Thanks for this. I've wondered what an unseasoned butt would taste like, but didn't want to spend all those hours smoking something I might not like.

Truly it isn't bad tasting. It just gets very bland after the first couple bites. If I needed shredded, smoked, pork for multiple recipes, I would do this again.

Great experiment with valid results! Thanks for the effort and everyone's impressions.

"Natural" butts (no injections of salts or phosphates) have always tasted bland to me, even if injected and seasoned. I'll admit, it is probably due to my process.

"Enhanced" butts (Hormel and Smithfield) always taste juicy and flavorful when seasoned. They are already injected so I just rub and smoke. I don't have salt issues, but can see how that would be a problem for some.

Thank you for the followup. Not quite what I was expecting. I thought the plain pork would have held up in flavor more. Lesson learned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky