1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Okay, you have convinced me...

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by JC in GB, Aug 2, 2019.

1. JC in GB

JC in GB Smoking Fanatic

I have 2 pork shoulders in the freezer that are in need of BBQing and I intend to do just that.

I heard from some posters about cooking a shoulder with no seasoning at all, just smoke, heat, and meat.

I am going to do a side by side cook with one shoulder fully loaded and one plain.

The first one will get Kosmos Q pork injection and Jeff's Original Rub.

The second shoulder gets nothing but a reassuring pat before going into the pit.

This may take a bit as my schedule is horrid right now but I am planning future smokes and builds to keep may sanity in this involuntary interlude from smoking.

Can't wait......

JC

2. I'm interested in the outcome! Pls let us know the pros/cons

JC in GB likes this.
  3. JC in GB

JC in GB Smoking Fanatic

I expect to make a full report with pics....

4. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Sounds like a plan. How do you like the Kosmos Q products? See them all over amazon but have never tried them out

JC in GB likes this.
  5. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Will be watching the show, come on with it.

JC in GB likes this.
  6. I suggest a dry rub and simple smoking till done. No wraps, sprays or injections. Close the lid and leave it closed till done.

7. JC in GB

JC in GB Smoking Fanatic

I have only used it once on another pork shoulder. I mixed the injection with apple juice per the package directions.

The pork turned out very tasty and juicy and I would use the injection again.

The issue I had with the injection is that it seemed to mute the pork flavor a bit. I think this was due to using apple juice for the liquid. Not sure how it would work with water or another liquid.

I was kind of expecting a bit of a wow factor when I tasted the pork which I didn't get.

It was still very good and I would use Kosmos Q products again.

SmokinVOLfan likes this.
  8. If you want smoked meat then injection with anything that didn't come from meat isn't necessary. For example I use chicken broth I've made from the chicken itself to inject the breast meat.
    If you're trying to make it taste like something other than meat, then have at it. Why not a little peppermint next time?

9. smokerjim

smokerjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

watching

JC in GB likes this.
  10. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Now this is the kind of testing that makes this place interesting! I'm in!

JC in GB likes this.
  11. drdon

drdon Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

on the Pork Butt? (LOL)
    I'm hoping the plain one isn't as good. Otherwise a LOT of people have been wasting a LOT of time and pork.

jokensmoken, martin1950 and JC in GB like this.
  12. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

I generally use just a lite sprinkling of SPOG on butts and shoulders. I enjoy the taste of the pork. I can always add rub or sauce to the finished product, but you can never remove it once it's there.

Chris

jokensmoken, martin1950 and JC in GB like this.
  13. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

A butt is such a thick piece of meat that to get more flavor inside you have to inject it with something. I'm looking forward to seeing your results & conclusions.
    I do naked ribs all the time, cause I like the taste of the pork, but the smoke penetrates deep into the ribs since they are much thinner than a butt.
    Good luck & this is definitely a worthy experiment!
    Al

JC in GB likes this.
  14. Ha Ha Ha, at my age any chance you get to rub a butt is not wasted time.

15. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Is that even legal? I thought you were required to put something on or in the meat before smoking.

Definitely watching this.

JC in GB likes this.
  16. And a blind taste with your quests?
    You're challenging the old brigade again.
    Keep it up!

drdon likes this.
  17. Southern

Southern Newbie

This is so interesting! Looking forward to your results.

18. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

:emoji_eye::emoji_eye:

19. fivetricks

fivetricks Smoking Fanatic

Yeah, me thinks we're not gonna get the payoff we were hoping for.

20. Watching