OFG Smokies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
First, let me apologize for my absence. Life has been interesting and my Traeger has been out of action due to a lack of parts.

I have made hot dogs, summer sausage, snack sticks, and more. For some reason, I never got around to making a smokie. I don’t know why. I love smokies.

My good buddy, Norm, is getting a Bradley Smoker and asked about a smokie recipe. I referred him to a recipe from a ab canuck ab canuck (https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/jalapeno-cheddar-smokies-canadian-smokies.258485/).

However, I had to throw my hat in the ring and overcome my oversight.

The kind of meat you use in a smokie varies. It is usually mostly lean beef or game with some fatty pork shoulder to add moisture and texture. If you want to get in a fight, ask smokers the proportion of lean meat and fatty pork that should be used. I like a fair amount of pork and use 30 % to 40 % pork and the remainder lean beef or game.

It is critical that the meat be very cold, or you won’t get a good texture. I like to put it in the freezer for about 40 minutes to just get a frozen crust on it. I also put the canister of my stuffer in the freezer.

For each KG of meat used mix the following together:

• 15 ml (6.45 grams) ground mustard
  • 14 ml (17.9 grams) Kosher salt
  • 12 ml (6 grams) paprika
  • 8 ml (6 grams) garlic powder
  • 6 ml (6.5 grams) sugar
  • 6 ml (2.9 grams) white pepper
  • 1.75 ml (2.5 grams) Prague powder #1
  • 3 ml (1.5 grams) ground coriander
  • 1 ml (0.8 grams) onion powder
  • 1 ml (0.4 grams) mace
  • 1 ml (0.4 grams) cayenne
  • 1 ml (0.2 grams) dried marjoram
For the out of step Americans, for each pound of meat mix:

• 1 1/2 tsp ground mustard
  • 1 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 3/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 1/5 tsp Prague powder #1
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/8 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp mace
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne
  • 1/8 tsp dried marjoram
Mix the following together for each KG of meat:

• 125 ml ice water
  • 14 ml corn syrup
  • 1 ml Sriracha sauce
In American measures for each pound of meat:

• 1/4 cup ice water
  • 1 1/4 tsp corn syrup
  • 1/8 tsp Sriracha sauce
Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to make a slurry.

OFG Smokies 01.jpg

Spread the meat out on a tray and press finger holes in it. Pour the slurry over the meat. Fold the meat towards you and press flat. Rotate the pan 1/4 turn, rotate toward you and press it flat. Continue mixing for 3 minutes. Put the meat in the freezer for 20 minutes.

OFG Smokies 02.jpg

Put the meat in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Beat the meat with the paddle at medium low for 3 minutes. Put the meat in the freezer for 20 minutes. If you are making a large batch, you will likely have to mix the meat in batches.

Beat the meat with the paddle for another 3 minutes and put it in the freezer for 20 minutes. You are looking for a sticky mass.

Stuff the meat into 32 mm (1 1/4 inch) collagen casings.

OFG Smokies 03.jpg

Pinch every six inches on the casings and cut at the pinch.

OFG Smokies 04.jpg

Store the sausages in the fridge for 24 hours.

Put the sausages on a rack at room temperature for one hour, wiping them several times with paper towels to dry thoroughly.

OFG Smokies 05.jpg

I did these in my Bradley P10.

Preheat your smoker to 140 F (60 C). Smoke the sausages for 1 hour.

Increase the heat to 150 F (66 C). Smoke for 1 hour.

Increase the heat to 160 F (71 C). Smoke for 1 hour.

Increase the heat to 170 F (77 C). Smoke for 1 hour or until the internal temperature of the smokie is 155 F (68 C), whichever comes first.

If the smokie has not reached an internal temperature of 155 F (68 C), Increase the heat to 180 F (82 C). Cook the smokie until the internal temperature reaches 155 F (68 C).

OFG Smokies 06.jpg

When the smokies are up to temperature, plunge them in ice water for 5 minutes. Put the sausages on a rack at room temperature for 2 hours and then refrigerate overnight to let the smoke flavour even out.

OFG Smokies 10.jpg

Of course, I had to grill one up to try it.

OFG Smokies 07.jpg

It was delicious but it did have a problem. I couldn’t get a second picture without a bite disappearing from the smokie!

OFG Smokies 08.jpg

OFG Smokies 09.jpg

The Verdict

These were terrific. They have a great texture with a firm bite. There is just a touch of heat, a good smoke level, and a deep rich flavour.

I should have done these sooner.

Disco

D, Another fine smoke and well presented post ! Thanks for the non metric measurements for your southern neighbors.

welcome back Disco! As usual a great post...

Thanks! I missed you guys.

Gotta chime in with Zippy. Great to see you back and as always, a beautifully presented tutorial. Great job and some fine looking sausages sir.

Robert

You guys are way too nice to a fat old Canadian!

D, Another fine smoke and well presented post ! Thanks for the non metric measurements for your southern neighbors.

Thanks, CM! Us Canadians are totally confused with our metric but getting so many recipes from the US.

Thanks for sharing, they look great. And welcome back. . .

Thanks! They were tasty!

Good to hear from you again. You have been missed. I really like your video presentations. I know they take a lot of work but I miss them.

That is so kind. If the parts for my Traeger ever show up, I will be doing more smoking videos.

Great to have you back! As usually excellent detailed instructions, great pics and a finished product I need a bit of!!

Disco, welcome back and it's nice to here from you again! Looks absolutely delicious! So many times I wanted to make some hot dogs but something was always on my way - I guess I am just getting lazy working from home remotely for a year now.... You just inspired me and my next project this week is 'smockies" - using your recipe. Thank you for sharing.

Those look great Disco! Glad to see ya back! Another thing for the to do list!

Ryan

Disco, welcome back and it's nice to here from you again! Looks absolutely delicious! So many times I wanted to make some hot dogs but something was always on my way - I guess I am just getting lazy working from home remotely for a year now.... You just inspired me and my next project this week is 'smockies" - using your recipe. Thank you for sharing.

I hope you like them as much as I do. Thanks so much!

Those look fantastic Disco! Bookmarked! Glad to see you back!

It's good to be back!

Awesome Smokies!!
Two words for next time----"Sooner" & "More"
Like.

Bear

Thanks, Bear. More wouldn't be a good idea. I eat whatever I have after giving some away.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky