OFG Andouille

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I am still getting used to my Bradley P10 Professional smoker. I decided to use it in my continuing quest for the perfect andouille.

For those of you that don’t know, andouille is a smoked Louisiana sausage. I love it straight up but it is also a key ingredient in gumbo.

I have been tweaking the recipe for years and I hoped the great low temperature control of the Bradley would give me the perfect texture I was looking for. So, welcome to OFG Andouille.

I made my andouille out of pork shoulder as it has a good fat content. If you want to make it out of game or beef, I suggest you use at least 40 % pork shoulder for some fat content.

As with all sausage, it is critical that you keep the meat very cold. It gives the sausage a better texture and it grinds better.

I used 1 kg (2.2 pounds) of pork shoulder. I cut 400 grams (0.9 pounds) of pork into about 1/4 inch (0.65 cm) cubes and set them aside in the refrigerator.

I cut 600 grams (1.3 pounds) of pork shoulder into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes and ground it through the medium plate of my meat grinder. I put the meat in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.

OFG Andouille 01.jpg

I mixed the following together in a bowl:

• 30 ml (2 tablespoons) minced onion
  • 30 ml (2 tablespoons) minced garlic
  • 30 ml (2 tablespoons) red wine vinegar
  • 22 ml (1 1/2 tablespoons) skim milk powder
  • 20 ml (4 teaspoons) kosher salt
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) paprika
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoons) ice water
  • 7 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) coarse black pepper
  • 4 ml (3/4 teaspoon) cayenne
  • 4 ml (3/4 teaspoon) dried thyme
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) dry mustard
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) crushed dried chilies
  • 2.6 grams (2 ml) (2/5 teaspoon) Prague powder #1
I added that to the ground meat and mixed well by hand. Then I put it in the bowl of my stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, I beat it at medium for two to three minutes until it was pasty and sticky.

OFG Andouille 02.jpg

I chilled the meat in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. I added the small cubed pork and mixed well. I stuffed the meat in 35 mm (1 1/2 inch) collagen casings with my LEM stuffer. I pinched the sausages into 8 inch lengths and cut at the pinch points.

I put the pork in the fridge overnight.

OFG Andouille 03.jpg

I put the sausage on the rack of my Bradley and inserted a temperature probe in one end.

I cooked it at 140 F (60 C) for 20 minutes without smoke.

I cooked it at 140 F (60 C) for 40 minutes with smoke.

I cooked it at 150 F (65 C) for one hour with smoke.

I cooked it at 160 F (70 C) for one hour with smoke for 20 minutes.

I cooked it at 170 F (77 C) for one hour without smoke.

I cooked it at 180 F (82 C) until the internal temperature in the andouille was 155 F (68 C).

The Bradley gives a good strong smoke so I only used smoke for 2 hours. If you have another type of smoker, feel free to smoke for the whole cook time.

OFG Andouille 04.jpg

I took the andouille out of the smoker and plunged it in ice water to stop the cooking.

Then I put it on a rack at room temperature for 2 hours.

OFG Andouille 05.jpg

I refrigerated the andouille. Freeze any that will not be used in the next week.

OFG Andouille 06.jpg

The Verdict:

The seasonings were perfect. A rich bold taste with a touch of spice but not over the top. Even better, the Bradley came through great and the texture was moist and firm. I have my final version of andouille.

Disco

Nice job that looks great. Andouille is my favorite sausage. You mentioned gumbo so I assume that's next. Can't wait to see it

Looks great Disco! Also bookmarked this. And very informative so anyone can make it!

Ryan

Nice job that looks great. Andouille is my favorite sausage. You mentioned gumbo so I assume that's next. Can't wait to see it

You must be clairvoyant! I am working on editing my Canadian Gumbo post with video right now!

You certainly give very good direction for your recipes. We have not seen a video from you in a while. I miss them.

Thanks so much for the kind words. Life has kind of overtaken me for awhile but I will be posting a Canadian Gumbo post with video soon.

Very good job there on the Andouille! Great definition and nice chunks in the casings...good color too! Big Like! I'll be doing a big batch myself this fall at some point...

Thanks! I look forward to the post!

Great post and the andouille looks fantastic. Bookmarked for future reference.

Thank you so much!

Looks great Disco both the sausage and write up.

Point for sure
Chris

Sneaking this by me didn't work!!
I just found it & it looks Great, Disco!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Very nice disco! I also bookmarked for future reference. I always enjoy how thorough your posts are! LIKE!

Thanks so much! I learned so much here I am glad of someone else can pick up from my efforts.

I love Andouille in red beans and rice. Yours looks great.
Looks great Disco! Also bookmarked this. And very informative so anyone can make it!

Very kind words but I wish you hadn't said Red Beans and Rice. Now I want some!

Ryan
Looks great Disco both the sausage and write up.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks for the point, Chris!

Love andioulle sausage and yours looks great! Like!

I also love a counter top mixer with a PTO :emoji_wink: we use the heck out of our Kitchen Aid mixer. Its about 30 years old and solid as a rock.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky