NWDAVE and I Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dnvrdv

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Parker, Colorado
For the second Saturday in a row the smokers are fired!  Figured I do a q view for this one.
5d73f8f8_Photo0214.jpg

NWDave's Bacon wrapped Beef Tenderloin.  3 of these going on.

009ab84e_Photo0217.jpg

Pork Roast in the newly converted gas Bandera

Gonna be eatin good in daves neighborhood soon!

HA...  He's in Denver right now.  Actually Parker. 

3 hour to go.  Dutches wicked baked beans have been added and my pork is cookin.
e0379155_Photo0220.jpg
aab4063b_Photo0221.jpg

Last edited:
His smoke is a sorta Heinz 57 variety while I'm using cherry with the Beef Tenderloins thanks to a submission on this site, made a few years ago (As I remember, Beef Tenderloin with a Bacon Weave).   My rub was a simple (KISS rules) EVOO, Organic No Salt Seasoning, CBP, some Garlic powder.  Meat's been in for about 2 hours.  We're now at 102 degrees and rising.  Plan on taking it to just shy of 130, then resting it until dinner.  Now, DnvrDv (my SIL) has been smoking his for about 4 hours and looks like it's going to finish too soon.   That's OK, he knows about the towel and cooler trick.  His rub of choice was Weber Roasted Garlic and Herb in a grinder. Dutches Wicked Baked Beans, what can I say?  I've made it once before here and it disappeared.  Todays is a slight variation but true to the basic recipe.  I figure 2-3 hours under the bacon wrapped tenderloin ought to really kick the flavor some.  We'll make sure to get QVues of the finished products.

Cheers.

Hey back at ya DeanNC.  I'm suffering from altitude oxygen deprivation (5900+ feet vs home sea level and all this lack of rain.  The webbing between my toes is drying out).
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hey back at ya DeanNC.  I'm suffering from altitude oxygen deprivation (5900+ feet vs home sea level and all this lack of rain.  The webbing between my toes is drying out).
icon_mrgreen.gif
LMAO!!! Definitely some acclamation required.  May need to start spritzing those webbed feet! LOL

mmmm...I can almost taste it now!  Sockeye was my favorite when I live up in Anchorage for 4 years.  They fun catching as well!

AND NOW, the rest of the story.  Well, everything came out just great.  The tenderloin exceeded my expectations.  Pulled at 125* and rested in the cooler for about an hour while the rest of the meal came together.  Got some more people educated about the temp holding power of the towel/cooler/double wrap foil technique.  And maybe a couple more new SMF'ers. 

I'd purchased a full beef tenderloin so I had to cut it into 3 sections to fit comfortably in the small block gosm.  Used a grill to crisp up the bacon some.  The final result, the bacon was not as neat as some I've seen, but you know what, it still disappeared.  This is definitely on the repeat list. 

Now, to SILs Pork, nice and tender, excellent flavor and just the right amount of moisture.  He was, before yesterday, using the Bandera with Kingsford comp briquet's.  With some slight encouragement from me, like, Go for it, CONVERT.  Now, he can generate more than enough heat, better temp controls.  The smile said it all.  Welcome to the propane darkside DnvrDv (aka SIL Dave).

Dutch's Wicked  Baked Beans were a landslide success (of course!)  Highly recommended for a great side dish. 

Salmon:  Tried to get Dave to take it to the Salmon Candy stage, but, the crowds were clamoring.  Maybe next time.

Gotta tell ya, smoking at high altitude in ambient temps that are 20-25 degrees hotter and drier is a real challenge.  Tried using the Amazin' smoker but didn't get a handle on how dry the dust was vs. the poof -  it was all smoked.  More my fault rather than the Amazin' smoker's fault.  Ah well, heading back to Washington on Tuesday (gotta beat the Labor Day crowd) and hopefully back to some rain.  Next year, maybe a mountain top cookout on the western slopes of Colorado.

Thanks for being here with us.  The crowd of 15 or so (had some later drop ins's) left stuffed full to the gills and some "please take some with you, we just don't have enough room in the fridge" packages. 

A really big thanks to all the SMF'ers who submit detailed QViews because that alone contributed significantly to our smoking efforts and the success we now enjoy. 

Looks like a bunch of great food nice job ya'll!!!

Once again, thanks.  Yes, the Q was excellent.  Is there ever too much food?  Well, yes, but.....

As a followup to another thread about my traveling to Denver for a sort of Family competition with two young whippersnappers who thought they were going to teach this old fart a thing or two:  We all placed first, in my book.  We didn't overlap the meats and each meat was cooked to perfection.  They did teach this old fart that I've got to work harder next year just to keep equal.  Kinda nice to have kick started something, in my own small way.

And on a final note, because I know he will be reading this eventually, DnvrDv, your ribs were not overcooked, they were just fine.  They disappeared from the serving table, didn't they?

Wow that looked like quite the feast - Congrats
points.gif
if I could

Want to thank SMF and the FIL (Father In Law) NWDave for the tips and tricks for some awesome food.  I think all but 1 of the rubs and 1  of the recipes for meat over the past 10 days cam from SMF.  Great support and I'm a bit inspired to create!  Thanks again all!

icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man thats one heck of a smoke. All I can hope is that you have a bunch of friends coming  over really soon.

Poor Salmon, If fresh I like it with nothing, tossed on the grill until just done. I am sure it was good with the maranade, Everything looks great! way to go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky