• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slickmick84

Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Hello smoker gurus,
Chris from Pennsylvanias. Started on a tiny weber 22" Charcoal grill/smoker and only did small things since I was limited on space; short rack beef ribs, beer can chicken, tried a pitmaster pineapple burger (came out banging) other then that just your regular BBQ grill. I bought a char-griller XD grand champion smoker from HD for cheap ($300) brought it home and seasoned it with canola oil everywhere on the inside. Now here's my novice part of the smoking experience. I saw but haven't checked out the recipe section of the forum. Any other advice for this XD? I've seen some mods I'll be doing to keep smoke from exiting the chamber and stack. Can't wait to smoke some goods meats. SMOKE on fellas!

Welcome from Arkansas. Don’t have the answers to your questions, since I don’t have that type of smoker, but I am sure others can help you.
Again, welcome!!!!

Greetings from Virginia! Good price! I had one similar a few years ago, not exactly sure how yours is though. I recommend putting a pan of water/beer/etc in the cooking chamber to act as a heat sink and maybe putting a bit of a heat deflector over the area where the fire box and cooking chamber meet. That’s normally the hot spot. Also, make sure there is some space between the grate where you place your wood/charcoal and bottom of the box for oxygen. Seems common that a chimney of charcoal and a split or two of wood will get you in the 250-275 range, but I’d play a bit with it!

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Reactions: slickmick84
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky