• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Doug welcome from The lone Star State. I have been using offset smokers for the last 35 years and started from the ground up. I lived in Titusville Pennsylvania that's about 40 miles south of lake Erie. That's the city where Colonel Drake drilled the first oil well and when I was in high school I worked at the colonel Drake hotel washing dishes.
From there I join the Navy and became an electrician.
From there I moved to Texas looking for better work and got hooked on offset smokers. Thought I'd like to try something different so I ended up buying a pit boss pro series four vertical pellet smoker and I couldn't create blue smoke to save my life out of that thing. Any pills that looks like wood never did give me any blue smoke no matter if the smoker was clean or if it was dirty so after about 120-150 bucks of trying this pillar than that pellet I picked up one bag I saw laying on the shelf at Walmart and it said pit boss charcoal blend pellets so that was the end of smoking season for buying pellets at the store so I brought it home through some pellets in the hopper one really expecting anything and it came outside and I always look over at the smoker when I go out of the house just out of habit maybe hoping it's still there when I come back out anyway I couldn't believe my eyes. All I saw was thin blue smoke churning out of the smoker.. heck I didn't do anything different but there was along with that big smile on my face. I had a couple racks of ribs on the smoker and I looked beautiful and had a good red smoke ring on them if there was no good smoke flavor on the meat. Yes I have water in the water pan and I smoked them at 130° and it was turning out blue smoke like you wouldn't believe, but there was no smoke flavor on the meat. I smoke them for 5 hours at that lowest temperature.
I took a hygrometer and put it in the container that I was storing my pellets in that tube was air air tight. A couple days later I came back and looked at the meter and it said moisture content was 41% and still creating blue smoke. Maybe if the moisture content was lower the flavor might have been different but I know if you tried to create more blue smoke that wouldn't add any more flavor to the meat because even blue smoke you can barely see is enough to give you that deep down wood Smoky flavor.
I have an accountant friend that lives in Dallas and he works in one of those tall buildings full of accountants and I gave him some of the ribs I had on and offset smoker and he brought them to work then heated them up in the break room in the microwave then all of a sudden the atmosphere changed into break room people were moving fast look like they were looking for something and he my friend heard them talking about where that where that barbecue smell coming from my buddy just sat there and kind of chuckled to himself and finally they veered in on him and he says we have never ever in our entire life smelled rib that ever smelled like that in our entire lives. You just proceeded to tell them that his buddy gave him some that he keep that he made on a cheap smoker from Walmart.so we sat there and ate every last rib and didn't give anybody any LOL...
I'm about to trust something drastic and put three or four bottles of cherry extract flavoring in the water pan and let that mingle around my next rack of ribs and see if that would impart some added flavor.. it's like Elvis has left the building and he took all the flavor with him.
I've been watching gurus on YouTube using pellet smokers and bragging about the flavor and the smoke Ring well I can get the smoke ring but where is he getting the flavor? They might be doing something behind the scene that gear is of these videos can't see like getting these pills delivered straight from the manufacturing plant right out of the pellet maker, bagged up and rushed

Hey Doug welcome from The lone Star State. I have been using offset smokers for the last 35 years and started from the ground up. I lived in Titusville Pennsylvania that's about 40 miles south of lake Erie. That's the city where Colonel Drake drilled the first oil well and when I was in high school I worked at the colonel Drake hotel washing dishes.
From there I join the Navy and became an electrician.
From there I moved to Texas looking for better work and got hooked on offset smokers. Thought I'd like to try something different so I ended up buying a pit boss pro series four vertical pellet smoker and I couldn't create blue smoke to save my life out of that thing. Any pills that looks like wood never did give me any blue smoke no matter if the smoker was clean or if it was dirty so after about 120-150 bucks of trying this pillar than that pellet I picked up one bag I saw laying on the shelf at Walmart and it said pit boss charcoal blend pellets so that was the end of smoking season for buying pellets at the store so I brought it home through some pellets in the hopper one really expecting anything and it came outside and I always look over at the smoker when I go out of the house just out of habit maybe hoping it's still there when I come back out anyway I couldn't believe my eyes. All I saw was thin blue smoke churning out of the smoker.. heck I didn't do anything different but there was along with that big smile on my face. I had a couple racks of ribs on the smoker and I looked beautiful and had a good red smoke ring on them if there was no good smoke flavor on the meat. Yes I have water in the water pan and I smoked them at 130° and it was turning out blue smoke like you wouldn't believe, but there was no smoke flavor on the meat. I smoke them for 5 hours at that lowest temperature.
I took a hygrometer and put it in the container that I was storing my pellets in that tube was air air tight. A couple days later I came back and looked at the meter and it said moisture content was 41% and still creating blue smoke. Maybe if the moisture content was lower the flavor might have been different but I know if you tried to create more blue smoke that wouldn't add any more flavor to the meat because even blue smoke you can barely see is enough to give you that deep down wood Smoky flavor.
I have an accountant friend that lives in Dallas and he works in one of those tall buildings full of accountants and I gave him some of the ribs I had on and offset smoker and he brought them to work then heated them up in the break room in the microwave then all of a sudden the atmosphere changed into break room people were moving fast look like they were looking for something and he my friend heard them talking about where that where that barbecue smell coming from my buddy just sat there and kind of chuckled to himself and finally they veered in on him and he says we have never ever in our entire life smelled rib that ever smelled like that in our entire lives. You just proceeded to tell them that his buddy gave him some that he keep that he made on a cheap smoker from Walmart.so we sat there and ate every last rib and didn't give anybody any LOL...
I'm about to trust something drastic and put three or four bottles of cherry extract flavoring in the water pan and let that mingle around my next rack of ribs and see if that would impart some added flavor.. it's like Elvis has left the building and he took all the flavor with him.
I've been watching gurus on YouTube using pellet smokers and bragging about the flavor and the smoke Ring well I can get the smoke ring but where is he getting the flavor? They might be doing something behind the scene that gear is of these videos can't see like getting these pills delivered straight from the manufacturing plant right out of the pellet maker, bagged up and rushed

How could I have ever gotten my point across by sending a paragraph, just asking?

How could I have ever gotten my point across by sending a paragraph, just asking?
I wasn't saying only one paragraph. What I said was that one big block of text is hard to read. Breaking it up into paragraphs with a space between makes it much easier to read.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
I wasn't saying only one paragraph. What I said was that one big block of text is hard to read. Breaking it up into paragraphs with a space between makes it much easier to read.
Well I'm learning how to write on the internet now. So glad to get a few lessons from somebody that loves barbecue.
Anything's liable to happen while I'm typing and it's all because of where I live I'm just lucky to get it typed out while the phone still has enough signal to function. I'm typing now with no signal strength at all.
There's a lot to be said about sending a text message that is lost because it's not like two people talking face to face and you can hear the tone of The voice and facial expressions body language, kind of like blue smoke from a pellet smoker with no flavor to go along with the smoke ring...

Well I'm learning how to write on the internet now. So glad to get a few lessons from somebody that loves barbecue.
Anything's liable to happen while I'm typing and it's all because of where I live I'm just lucky to get it typed out while the phone still has enough signal to function. I'm typing now with no signal strength at all.
There's a lot to be said about sending a text message that is lost because it's not like two people talking face to face and you can hear the tone of The voice and facial expressions body language, kind of like blue smoke from a pellet smoker with no flavor to go along with the smoke ring...
Some people say STOP SHOUTING AT ME , when I type.
I have concluded that large letters mean you are shouting but I type with large letters sometimes because it's easier to read sometimes when the lighting isn't good enough. Some people can't stand to read capital letters.
I have never been called out for not creating paragraphs. Ask not and receive not...

I will try to please anybody that I can because it's too easy to make an enemy... We already have one enemy trying to send us to hell...

Right now I'm trying to find the minimum amount of moisture content in these wood pellets that will affect the quality of The thin blue smoke.

I've posted earlier about a charcoal blended pellet and that moisture was 41% but I still got a wonderful looking thin blue smoke. But I'm understanding from reading that the thinnest blue smoke you can barely see is really the smoke that you're looking for and I know that more thin blue smoke will not get you any more flavor.

Some people that have sat down and ate my smoked meat talked about me not having enough billowing clouds of smoke coming out of my smokestack but everybody sure sat down and ate, but no one complained... I must have done something right and no one cared to ask why there was blue smoke coming out of the stack that you could hardly see...

But I have blue smoke from a pellet smoker without that smokey wood flavor that's supposed to be deposited on the meat... I smoked that rack of ribs for 5 hours with no apparent flavor on the meat...

All my meat comes from the refrigerator as cold as it can get and straight to the smoker it goes
I see pellet gurus on YouTube using whatever flavor pellet they're using and they're always bragging about the flavor.
These guys may get their pellets direct from the manufacturer to their pellet smoker in their backyard lickity split.
Not sure how long these pellets sit in a warehouse where they are manufactured then they sell some pellets to Walmart and they sit in their warehouse.
These pellets are very hygroscopic and any wood pellet that I have ever used I've only seen white smoke come from them, which made me think the charcoal had something to do with it and I'm thinking charcoal Burns hotter than wood. I may need to be corrected on that.
have only been using offset smokers for 35 years

Reactions: TH-n-PA
Some people say STOP SHOUTING AT ME , when I type.
I have concluded that large letters mean you are shouting but I type with large letters sometimes because it's easier to read sometimes when the lighting isn't good enough. Some people can't stand to read capital letters.
I have never been called out for not creating paragraphs. Ask not and receive not...

I will try to please anybody that I can because it's too easy to make an enemy... We already have one enemy trying to send us to hell...

Right now I'm trying to find the minimum amount of moisture content in these wood pellets that will affect the quality of The thin blue smoke.

I've posted earlier about a charcoal blended pellet and that moisture was 41% but I still got a wonderful looking thin blue smoke. But I'm understanding from reading that the thinnest blue smoke you can barely see is really the smoke that you're looking for and I know that more thin blue smoke will not get you any more flavor.

Some people that have sat down and ate my smoked meat talked about me not having enough billowing clouds of smoke coming out of my smokestack but everybody sure sat down and ate, but no one complained... I must have done something right and no one cared to ask why there was blue smoke coming out of the stack that you could hardly see...

But I have blue smoke from a pellet smoker without that smokey wood flavor that's supposed to be deposited on the meat... I smoked that rack of ribs for 5 hours with no apparent flavor on the meat...

All my meat comes from the refrigerator as cold as it can get and straight to the smoker it goes
I see pellet gurus on YouTube using whatever flavor pellet they're using and they're always bragging about the flavor.
These guys may get their pellets direct from the manufacturer to their pellet smoker in their backyard lickity split.
Not sure how long these pellets sit in a warehouse where they are manufactured then they sell some pellets to Walmart and they sit in their warehouse.
These pellets are very hygroscopic and any wood pellet that I have ever used I've only seen white smoke come from them, which made me think the charcoal had something to do with it and I'm thinking charcoal Burns hotter than wood. I may need to be corrected on that.
have only been using offset smokers for 35 years
I had to go back and put the space in between the paragraphs.
I miss two or three paragraphs at the end before I sent it but I'll do better next time...

I had to go back and put the space in between the paragraphs.
I miss two or three paragraphs at the end before I sent it but I'll do better next time...
I've read another article about moisture in split wood for offset smokers or the moisture content was 20% put offset smokers same to handle that amount of moisture fairly well.
I read about a pellet manufacturer wanted to try 5 to 10% moisture leaving the pellet dies.

I thought about starting out at 5% moisture and smoking something simple like a hamburger. For 30 minutes made from ground chuck 80/20... Then flame broil for 30 seconds on each side from a chimney . Now that was better than Burger King...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky