• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Not liking my wings

joetee

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 25, 2017
Ok, I love wings. I've grilled them. I've used a vortex. I've smoked them. The meat always comes out great.
What I am having a problem with is, the seasoning and sauce.
I make a great sauce. I've made great rubs.
What I don't like is the taste of chili powder which is in my rub and sauce.
I like them both on other cooks.

I'm thinking that after they cook I sauce them and then sear then a bit. This i think changes everything.

I like a sweet with a kick.

Most of the time I'm using memphis dust rub. I've used a lot and I used very little.

I'm gonna have to try something different.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Try grilling/vortexing the wings naked (without any rub) and after they are done, coat them with your favorite sauce.

That is when I sauce them.

John

drunkenmeatfist

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 28, 2017
I will agree with adding sauce after the cook as well as adding the rub after cooking. I usually prefer a dry wing and I really like lemon pepper and Louisiana rub from Wingstop. I tried a bunch of different lemon pepper seasonings and none of them were quite right so I went to Wingstop and they sold me some of their lemon pepper.

I cook the wings up on the vortex with a chunk of wood on the grate above the coals. When they are done I throw them in big bowls with rub or sauce and flop them around until they are nice and coated. Good stuff with a little bit of smoke as well.

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
i usually do my wings with just salt and pepper on my pitboss, then i add sauce when they're done.

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I like to do my Vortex wings and legs a few different ways. One of my favorites is coating them with chilerelleno chilerelleno 's chicken rub, letting them go for a half hour, and then tossing them in a bowl of teriyaki or SBR, and then back onto the grill for five minutes, crispy and delicious! Try it out, you might like it, got nothin' to lose! RAY
DSCN1893.JPG

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
I’m with the others. If I’m saucing I’m putting it on towards the end of the cook.

What is it about the chili powder?

joetee

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 25, 2017
I’m with the others. If I’m saucing I’m putting it on towards the end of the cook.

What is it about the chili powder?
To much. Can't taste the meat.

one eyed jack

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 11, 2014
Could be the vortex is too hot for your rub and sauce. (My guess is that the sauce and rub is burning).

Like others have mentioned; I vortex nekid, (other than a little salt & pepper).

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
To much. Can't taste the meat.
You could always pull back the amount of chili powder you're using in the rub, at least for the vortex. Or omit the chili powder all together.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I coat mine with EVOO, then dust with Montreal chicken seasoning.
We eat them just like that, or if I want hot wings, I toss them in Frank’s buffalo wing sauce & melted butter, when they come off the grill.
Al

Spodie Odie

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 17, 2019
I smoke or grill my wings then toss in a bowl. Ziploc bags work too but it will steam up fast and your skin may not be as crispy but makes for easy cleanup.

Here is the easiest / quickest sauce that will blow the minds of everyone:

Get a sauce pan and melt a tablespoon or so of butter
Then add in Franks Buffalo Wing Sauce
add in salt, pepper, garlic powder
the secret to all this is HONEY- Add in a generous amount to taste- I add in some chili flakes at the end for texture and you can keep modifying this for heat/ sweetness. I actually make a huge batch at a time and jar it. And I do put that S**T on everything lol

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.