no smoke ring with amnps in a smoke hollow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gotbags-10

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Indy
I've only used my amnps a few times but i've noticed that i don't get any smoke ring. Is this normal? I know electric smokers are known for not making smoke rings but i thought the amnps would overcome this. I did use the water pan the first times so i'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. I can smell smoke but it looks very thin. Don't know if this is TBS or if the amnps is not burning correctly. Especially since it puts off  a ton of smoke  when i first get it going when it sits outside the smoker.I did add three 3/4 inch holes on the side at the bottom and three 3/4 inch holes at the top for venting.  Ideas?

I only get a hint of smoke ring at times.  As others have told me you really don't get a ring with the electric. The part that counts is that you get the smoke flavor. I love the looks of a good smoke ring but the taste makes up for it. It sounds like you did the mod I did on your unit. Once you get the air in and out dialed in it works great.

What Al and Custom Said
A smoke ring is a chemical reaction, and does not affect the taste of the meat.

Intake air is important to the performance of the AMNPS.
You need adequate intake air for good combustion.
You may also notice if there's s slight breeze, your smoker will draft more.
Once your smoker is filled with smoke, it will spill out the exhaust.

Some guys are used to thick white smoke. This smoke can contain creosote and other nasty chemicals.
The AMNPS puts out a nice TBS

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky