No labor Labor Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jeff Wright

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 12, 2018
Southern Missouri
Wow, is summer really over? Was a very eventful weekend and sent summer out with a good smoke. Did several things cookwise, but was too busy to chronicle much. Spent yesterday doing as little as possible, and in that line of thinking, just did a simple meatloaf. Have seen several posts, but never did one myself. That will change. Quick to prepare, little babysitting and pretty quick for getting a tasty comfort food.

Threw together a basic meatloaf recipe, including 3 lb.s boston burger and 1 lb regular sausage. Added a sweet onion, spices and a extra shot or cayenne pepper. Some bacon on top for additional flavoring and juice. Now ready for the typical 225 smoker.
ML.jpeg

Was cooking an extra for a neighbor not as into full smoke flavor, so went with a more subtle pellet in the Amazn...Peach. This was really very subtle, and I didn't think I originally liked it as well, but it actually worked pretty well.
ML-1.jpeg

Into the smoke they go
ML-2.jpeg

About 4 hours later hit a little over temp, about 168. Looked like a pretty good color.

ML-3.jpeg

Added glaze and into the broiler for a brief time. Didn't quite glaze like I really wanted, but this also crisped up the bacon a bit more. Not exactly the finished picture I was hoping for, but this was a very flavorful loaf that will in most ways be done again...just a bit of plating with the glaze process.
ML-4.jpeg

ML-5.jpeg

Here is the first couple slices coming out...
ML-6.jpeg

Add some sides, and a cold one as well, and dinner is served.
ML-7.jpeg

Hope everyone else had a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend as well. Look forward to seeing everyone elses cooks. Looking forward to many fall smokes. Temperatures start to drop and it isn't quite as hot on the smoker.

Jeff that looks great!! I did my cooking a few weeks ago so it was heat & serve BBs Likes
Richie

Meatloaf taken to the next level. That is one/two fine looking loafs.

Point for sure.

Chris

That is one fine looking meal there my friend!
Very nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

That’s a great looking plate. It’s hard to go back to regular meatloaf once you start smoking it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky