Labor Day TD Entry Beef Shanks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ishi

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 30, 2018
First I’m very honored to receive 2nd place on the TD amongst all the great cooks that produce amazing foods every day.
When I had a 1/4 beef slaughter I saved one shank and later on an official retail beef I snatched another one ( just as well smoke two instead of one)!
The shanks were cut to make the Thor’s hammer look and with mustard as the binder they were heavily seasoned with Kosmos SPG rub and they sat in the fridge for two days uncovered.
IMG_6846.jpeg

I started my YS640 around 3:00am set at 230 degrees and the shanks went on at 4:30.
They went up in temps faster than I thought but once they reached 155 degrees they hung at that temp for 3 hours and never budged. This is a very tough piece of meat if you’ve ever smoked one.
IMG_6849.jpeg

Around 11:00 am I filled the bottom of a disposable aluminum pan with beef broth and a can of beer and covered the top with foil and sealed them up to start the braise. With the FireBoard probe inserted the temp slowly started to go up.
At 3:30 pm they reached 205 degrees but was to early to eat as the beans and potatoes weren’t done. So the shanks were pulled and hung out in a cooler while the beans and potatoes finished cooking.
5:00 everything was done and with my wonderful wife see toasted the rolls as I pulled the meat.
IMG_6852.jpeg

I was happy that the meat pulled with such ease like butter almost.
IMG_6853.jpeg

My goal on this smoke was to have tender and moist meat and I did succeed on both parts!
The beans are personal recipe but I never make two batches the same. I have a thread about what I use in general. The potatoes were cooked in foil the opened up to dry them out some and brown them up.
The plate also has pickled onions I had a few weeks earlier.
Some thoughts here the meat was very different with all the gooey fat it probably the collagen fibers that made it very rich.
The sandwiches were Philly style and it was tough to decide which picture to use for the TD!
It was fun to cook and broaden the knowledge on different cuts.
Again very humble and thanks to everyone here for their help and for sharing their knowledge…. great forum.
Sorry for the long post and here’s the plate again.
IMG_6854.jpeg

First off, never any need to apologize for long post. Especially when you are describing a great looking cook and meal like that! There was a lot of tough competition and I hate that I only had one vote to give!

Jim

Reactions: Ishi and 02ebz06
Great smoke and congrat on the 2nd place.

kind of the same process as my Oxtail, coat with rub , smoke, than into the braise for a nice bath.

Well done and as Jim JLeonard JLeonard said don't worry about long posts , we love them especially with
pictures ( all my posts are too long, But that's how I roll, lol )

David

Reactions: JLeonard and Ishi
Great smoke and congrat on the 2nd place.

kind of the same process as my Oxtail, coat with rub , smoke, than into the braise for a nice bath.

Well done and as Jim JLeonard JLeonard said don't worry about long posts , we love them especially with
pictures ( all my posts are too long, But that's how I roll, lol )

David
We save quite a few Ox tail for customers at the locker! I’m going save mine when I get another quarter beef. When the time comes I’ll be looking you up for advice 👍🏼

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky