Newbie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinlobsinger

Original poster
May 31, 2016
Hello everyone, wanted to check this out, so here I am. I'm a traveling industrial salesman who's home mostly weekends. I am from Illinois near St. Louis Missouri. I wanted to try smoking and didn't want to waste a whole lot of money, so I purchased the low end masterbuilt pro series smoker. Seems to work great. I was convinced to purchase a Bluetooth thermometer so that I don't have to keep opening the smoker to check temps, I'm very pleased with both purchases. However, my first smoke was under par, didn't realize I needed to cut the fat off the back side of the ribs haha. Me second smoke, a ham was a little better and my third which was a pork loin was amazing.

I'll learn as I go and thanks for allowing me to post.

Hello and welcome to you.

We all had to start somewhere, your first smoke didn't

go perfectly.

It's a live and learn thing, whatever went wrong you won't do again.

There's a huge amount of knowledge here and folks willing to share.

Look at it this way, even 'que that isn't perfect is better than about 

anything else.

Have fun with it.

Ed

Thank you very much Ed. One thing that I read is to use only (2) handfuls of chips and add more ass needed. The (2) handfuls are not really much per the size of my tray. Would it be worthwhile to put in say (4) handfuls and not have to open the smoker to add more as needed? Yhe wood chips are cheap enough that I don't mind wasting a little

Thanks,

Kevin

Welcome from SC, Kevin. It's good to have you here n this great site. Ask anything that you need. There's always some really good folks here who are ready to share their ideas, recipes and tips.

I can't help you with your question about chips. I've never used them. I always use wood chunks for flavor. Good luck and good smokin', Joe

Thank You! Once I figure out how to navigate this app better, I'll find the correct places to post my question.

welcome1.gif

Glad to have you with us!

Al

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a beautiful  hot and humid day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Thank you Gary. As I've stated somewhere before, I'm still trying to figure this forum out. I'm guessing for any questions I have, I create a new posting?

Yeah, that would be best, that way your responses don't get mixed up.

Lots of great help on here so ask away

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky