Newbie Here!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

psycho dad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Suffolk, VA
Hey Guys,

I am brand new to smoking meat, my first I just got a Masterbuilt electric cabinet for my birthday.

I lost an apple tree in a hurricane last fall and cut it into logs, which got me thinking about using it to smoke meat.

My first attempt was a ham yesterday which came out pretty nice.

I have some "Green" county sausage I bought from a little store down the road that I want to smoke for dinner tonight.

I'm searching the forum for threads on temp and cooking time, but so far its more advanced stuff like making sausage.

Any quick advice would be great.

I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time here, maybe make some new friends.

Thanks!

- Jay

Welcome..

This site has tons of info.

I suggest you spend some time reading all the different forums and the WIKIs.

Ask questions and use the handy dandy search tool for specific interests!!

Take the awesome free E-Course!!!

Have a great day!!!

Craig

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/about-jeffs-5-day-ecourse

Make bacon the easy way!!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/109368/more-easy-made-bacon-with-q-view#post_666451

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/82034/how-to-post-qview-to-smf

welcome1.gif
to SMF - glad to have you here 

[h2]Welcome to the forum!  There are a ton of folks on the form that know A LOT about smoking that will help ya out in a flash with your questions.[/h2][h2] [/h2][h2]This is kind of a touchy subject around here but as for the fresh sausage, since it probably doesn't have a cure, I would suggest you make sure you get it from 40 degrees IT to 140 degrees IT within 4 hours... a little quicker wouldn't hurt.  There's a ton of info about food safety on the forum and on the web.  Ya just need to be careful with fresh sausage that doesn't have a cure IMVHO... others have different opinions on this subject and YMMV.....[/h2][h2] [/h2][h2]The advanced search function on this forum is very useful for finding this type if info.[/h2][h2] [/h2][h2]And, as Craig points out, the 5 day eCourse is definitely worth the time.[/h2][h2]Welcome to your new addiction![/h2][h2] [/h2][h2]-Salt[/h2]

Welcome to the SMF Family...I would highly recommend you smoke them at 215-225*F. You want to take them to 165*F Minimum and depending on how thick they are and the starting temp, the smoker may have a hard time getting there at 185*F in a reasonable time...You can always give them a quick crisp up and reheat in a Pan...Sure beats a day or two in the Bathroom!...JJ

sausage came out great, I had 4!

Wife said they were too spicy, she had one bite. Oh well, more for me.

Next weekend - RIBS!

welcome1.gif
 to SMF. You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge. I suggest you take  the 5 day e-course on smoking its chuck full of great info.Smoking Basics 5-Day eCourse

good too hear your smoke came out great. get yourself a camera and post some Q-view of your next smoke. We all love Q-view

Welcome to SMF glad you can join us.  We are big on Pics and love to help everyone out.  Remember the only question that is dumb is one not asked.  You will not find a friendlier place to talk Que on the web.

You are going to fit in just fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky