New Smoker 1st time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeking

Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Well I just bought a digital control smoker at Cab.... don't need to advertize. It is 3 hours later and I am smoking a pork shoulder and turkey.
I am using apple wood and with the exception of putting some onions and celery in the turkey it is natural. I wanted to try it this way to see where I go from here. What I am worried about is how much smoke and water do I need to have. Do you have it smoking all of the time or just how often do you put in new wood chips. Then the water issue, how much water do you plan on using durring a 12 hour smoke.
This is a great adventure for me so if anyone has some great receipes it will be appreciated.
What about a goose or duck, can you smoke them and then eat them?
Thanks

alot of that depends on the smoker, the water pan should always have water in it (or....well sand....another topic), but it's there to help regulate the temp. as for the amount of wood.....well it's best to keep a "thin blue smoke" but it is also preference, you want to not put too much in and make it "belch" smoke as this will oversmoke and make the meat taste....well off, granted you are using apple which is a fav of mine, and a bit on the mild side for smoke......but remember it will all be a trial and error thing.......let us know more, a turkey is a big first time smoke and I hope you seasoned your smoker first........ if not you may have some off tastes due to manufacturing oils burning during the first smoke and a few other things.......

Welcome to SMF! I'm pretty new to smoking myself, but I've read a lot of the experienced folks recommending that you season a smoker before putting food in it. The idea is to burn off any "gunk" from the factory that may be on the inside of smoker. That way you won't end up with any funky tastes on your meat.

The general process is to cover the inside of your smoker with a coat of oil (cooking spray, EVOO, etc.) and then heat it up to 250 or so and run it with no food in it for a few hours.

I'm sure someone with more expertise will be along before long who can answer any questions you might have about the pros and cons of seasoning.

Good luck on this first smoke!

Hey Smokeking- When I do a turkey, I get the temps up to 300-325* son't really need the "low and slow" for chicken or turkeys. I use a GOSM and I add a couple of wood chunks (about tuna can sized or smaller) about every hour. I'll replenish the water in my pan when I notice that it's about 3/4 evaporated or when my chamber temps start to climb (pan dry).

I've never had a turkey take longer than 5 hours for a 12 pound bird.

Remember to brine them at least over night and you'll have a moist bird come carving time.

Dutch has the solution... brine and you won't hear a whine.

I have never brined a bird. Never had too, atleast when using a Butter Ball bird. Always moist. Some of the other birds may tend to be drier though.

Brining not only makes them juicey but if you add spices to your brine it adds flavor. I like the way the brine draws in the spice flavors all through the meat and not just on the outside.

I have only done ducks on my rotisserie with a grease pan underneath and with a fairly high heat, it took 3½ hrs to render enough fat to make it edible ... delicious!!
BTW I also used a foil pack of apple to kiss it with smoke ... very good!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky