More Smoked Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr mac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 19, 2009
Doniphan MO
The Better 9/10ths and I are back in Pensacola, for what we pray, is my mother-in-law's last session of chemotherapy. One thing my wife (Chey) has done is insisted on her mom doing a three day water fast (one before the session, the day of, and the day after). With water, she introduced bone broth to the water fast and it has made a huge difference in how she has been feeling after each session.

So, here I am smoking a pair of buzzards 'cause they're tasty, and for more bone broth. Just happy to do my part!

I had to set up the Weber as best I could to create an indirect heat environment.
1000013529.jpg

Once the grill temp hit 200° I dropped the birds in.
1000013531.jpg

Already at 300° but will back it off to about 275°.
1000013533.jpg

More to follow.

Hope your MIL does well for sure. We love bone broth and the flavors you get from using a smoked bird really amp it up. Nice way to help her.

When making the broth, do you ever crack the bones? Since we've started doing that it has made a big difference in the flavor. You will have to strain through cheesecloth though.

Reactions: mr mac and jcam222
When making the broth, do you ever crack the bones? Since we've started doing that it has made a big difference in the flavor. You will have to strain through cheesecloth ththough.
Yep, we do crack 'em because, as you pointed out, it makes a big difference! We strain through the chinois and through a nut bag before canning.

This time I thought ahead and washed/dried the birds off and the pitched them in the fridge to help make the skin less rubbery. A little longer and it would have been perfect!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky