New Mexico Taco Meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
So here we have 1-1/2 pounds of ground pork. You can use beef, this is what I had on hand. 1/2 of a medium onion, about 3-4 nice garlic cloves minced fine, add to that about 2tsp. Of chicken bouillon, and 1-2 tsp of cumin. Let this cook and break up the meat to nice granular size.
2B4BD579-DFC9-40AF-9917-75936356CBB6.jpeg

Once the meat is brown, add small diced potatoes (reds and golds work best here) about 2-3 medium potatoes. Then add about 1-1/2 cups water and let this simmer until potatoes are firm/soft. (If water runs out just add a bite more), cook about 15 minutes.
92334FB8-7B6F-47D8-80AE-CCAE1617F36E.jpeg

Then add red Chile powder (about 2 tsp) and about 1/2c of Hatch roasted green Chile (you could use poblanos here,) mix well and let this reduce on simmer until water is gone and you have a nice taco filling texture.
2450DB22-1BD6-480F-89DB-30CF4F8C9054.jpeg

5BDCC353-6D36-448A-B5F7-E1A5F679F4BE.jpeg

Serve this in flour tortillas for soft tacos or corn tortillas for tacos. I will post a pic of the plate later.

Sounds good. Reminds me of Chorizo and Potato Taco filling...JJ

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Interesting . I have a AC leggs Chorizo seasoning . I started leaving it in bulk and using it for taco meat . Makes a pretty good taco . Have to try the potatoes .

THANKS for sharing! One time I caught a food show spotlighting the Pueblo Slopper and became enamored with NewMex foods. Totally trying this. No draining the fat right? The taco meat recipe we use does not and also adds flour so I can kinda tell what is going on there with potato/starch.

I fell in love with Hatch green chilis while I was working in New Mexico. Planning to do a nacho (beef/chicken) night next week. May have to give your recipe a whirl. Looks good.

Jim

Interesting . I have a AC leggs Chorizo seasoning . I started leaving it in bulk and using it for taco meat . Makes a pretty good taco . Have to try the potatoes .
Should work fine. Easiest way to do the potatoes is run them through a French fry cutter then dice.

THANKS for sharing! One time I caught a food show spotlighting the Pueblo Slopper and became enamored with NewMex foods. Totally trying this. No draining the fat right? The taco meat recipe we use does not and also adds flour so I can kinda tell what is going on there with potato/starch.
I don’t drain, but you may want to drain some if using 70/30, but I grind or buy 80/20 and don’t drain grease. This is important to not over cook the potatoes to mushy. They need to be more ”Al Dente” for lack of a better word.

I fell in love with Hatch green chilis while I was working in New Mexico. Planning to do a nacho (beef/chicken) night next week. May have to give your recipe a whirl. Looks good.

Jim
Thanks Jim. This is straight up comfort food around here.

Reactions: JLeonard
I always see these guys on cooking shows don't drain the grease on chili and stuff like this . Figured there was a reason . Makes sense now . I'd drain all but a couple tablespoons . The chorizo ( pork ) I make is lean enough I never drain it .

Sounds good and simple. I have both frozen/fresh and roasted Hatch chiles in my freezer. This is going on the list. thanks
Maybe a little corn added too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky