New MES40 BT - bad controller?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jackdawfool

Original poster
May 30, 2017
Been reading the forums for a couple months to learn all I could from you knowledgeable folks. Took advantage of the Sam's club deal a couple weeks ago to get my first smoker - an MES40 with BT. Made what I think was some amazing simulated burnt ends from a couple chuck roasts and a couple racks of baby back and beef ribs so far using all the recipes and suggestions here. For anyone that is looking for a data point regarding the AMNPS, mine has worked perfectly the three times I've used it so far with the amazen hickory pellets - I didn't do anything other than fill the tray, light it, wait a few minutes, put out the flame, and place it on the bottom along the left hand side.

Anyway, my problem is with runaway temperatures. After about three hours of usage, the burner seems to sometimes get stuck on. I first noticed it during the initial seasoning. Towards the end, the temp as reported by its internal gauge climbed up to about 300 when it was set to 275 - and the burner was still on so presumably it would have gone higher if I hadn't shut it down at that point.

When using it for the first time to smoke some chuck roasts, everything went fine for a few hours. Temp was set to 240. Burner would turn on, temp would climb to 240, burner would shut off, temp would climb a few more degrees and start to fall. When the temp got down to about 230 or so the burner would turn back on, and everything would be good. Around 3.5 hours into the process I checked the temp on my phone, and it was over 330 degrees with the burner still on. Yikes - I was worried the AMNPS had caught fire, but it was fine. Just the MES40 seemed to be heating out of control.

I shut it off and opened the door letting out the heat and saving the food. Turning it back on, I watched it like a hawk and everything was fine for the next few hours till the roasts were done.

Was hoping it was a fluke, but baby sat it non stop the next time I used it. Sure enough after a few hours the temp climbed over the 230 degrees it was set to and this time the burner didn't turn off. I waited till it climbed to 245 and the burner was still on. I then pressed the button once to lower the set temp and the burner immediately turned off. I set the temp back to 230 and the burner clicked back on when the temp fell enough and all was well with the MES40 regulating the temperature for the next hour or so. Then unfortunately the problem happened again.

It makes some great BBQ but I have to babysit the temp and correct it when it goes out of control.

So... Call Masterbuilt and look to receive a new controller for my brand new MES40? Or am I missing something or doing something wrong?

When loading the meat into the MES are you blocking or covering the heat sensor with the meat?

Nope, and the problem seems to have happened even when it was completely empty during the initial seasoning. The temperature is registering correctly on its internal oven temp sensor, it just seems to eventually ignore it or is somehow unable to turn off the burner. There isn't a time when the oven temp is over the set temp and the burner should be on, correct?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky