New member fm Sturgis, SD

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sturgis bbq

Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Sturgis, South Dakota
Currently consider myself a novice but very enthusiastic smoker/BBQer from the small town of Sturgis.  My smokers consist of a Traeger, a whole hog cooker/smoker (homemade)  and a homemade (double stainless commercial refrigerator converted into a nice smoker).   The Traeger works great for smoking and BBQ’ing.   However have to prop the lid open to smoke cheese as it runs a little hot.  The homemade unit is electric powered with a thermostat control to keep temperature where needed.  Smoke currently is provided by setting a pan of sawdust on the heating element.  Working on converting the smoke to pellets via an auger system, still working out the details.  Make most of my own sauces and rubs.  Also make my own brats, pepper sticks, sausage, and many other items.  Smoke everything from cheese to venison and back to birds. 

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome to SMF. You'll really like it here for there are a lot of really good guys an gals that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking meat. Now if you need there is a 5 day E-Course that is very helpfull to newbies to the smoking world. Then you can always just ask question here and we will answer what ever you need to know. So the best thing to do next is go get something to smoke and if you need ring us up. Oh yea don't forget the Q-view or pictures. So after all of that.

Welcome To Your New Addiction.

Go Gators

Glad you joined us Sturgis BBQ! :welcome1:
Your description tells me you are not a novice, but with this hobby though I do literally learn something new every day!

Great weekend of smokin.  Two racks of ribs, one dry rub and other finished with glazing one of my homemade bbq sauces.  also, 20 lbs of pulled pork, a gallon of sweet corn that smoked for 5 hours and a venison backstrap.  Have a few left overs to last for another day.  Next are a few fresh grouse once my son gets back from hunting!

Maybe several of us can get together during the Sturgis Rally Next year and have some good grub after a day of riding!  Just a thought.  should have my big smoker completed with a pellet feed option by that time.

Maybe several of us can get together during the Sturgis Rally Next year and have some good grub after a day of riding!  Just a thought.  should have my big smoker completed with a pellet feed option by that time.
We will take you up on that offer.

We make the annual trip from Texas every year and stay at the KOA in Hill City.

No room for the smoker on the bike, but we still manage to cook out on the Coleman every evening.

BTW--Welcome to the board.

I am located just 3 miles south of sturgis.  have plenty of smoker capacity at my place.  maybe we can get together at my pad.  will coordinate more as we get closer to next year.  might be a great opportunity to swap some or at least try some other recipes first hand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky