New Master Forge Electric Dome Smoker...where do the wood chunks/chips go?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

judymcc

Original poster
May 29, 2011
Hello...I'm a newbie, just got this smoker and cannot figure out how/where to locate the wood chips/chunks.  No information whatsoever in the directions!   This is my first baby steps in smoking....I'm the chief cook/griller for my family and I am looking forward to learning the ins/outs of smoking.  Thanks for your help!

I have the same smoker and used it for the first time this weekend. Soak 2 handfull of chips for an half hour in water.. Wrap in 2 seperate packet of aluminum foil, poke holes in the top and put them right on top of the lava rocks. My chicken turned out great for the fourth.

I soaked chips for several hours and then just put them right on top of the lava rock and element.  Got good smoke, for sure.  If I wrap it in foil I guess it will last longer?  Is that the purpose of the foil?

Also, KevBuc, do you completely cook the chicken in the smoker or move it to the oven at some point? 

Thanks!  I'm new to this and the book that came with the smoker pretty much sucks.

s

welcome1.gif
   Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview. 
icon14.gif

Yours is the best reply. He is right, the instructions omit placement of the wood chips and your advice about soaking them first. Master Forge also makes a stainless steel wood chip smoker box which can be used instead of the foil; Use of either of these would likely aid in clean up for next use.

I figured out how to get good smoke w/my smoker.  I bought a small grate and sat it on top of the lava rocks/element then put the soaked wood chunks on that.  I also eliminated the huge water pan and just add a small aluminum pan of water on my cooking grate, or eliminate it all together when smoking small cuts of meat.  Now my dilemma is that my cord seems to be malfunctioning...it will not keep a connection when plugged into the smoker.  Has anyone had any luck in finding a replacement cord?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky