Can "Wood Chunks" be used in electric smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stout23

Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
Hello all, I have an 40in Masterbult electiric.. I love the convience of being able to set the temp and not having to worry much about managing the temp as I do on my off set.. I can't seem to get a good strong smoke flavor or smoke ring on any larger pieces of meat like brisket or slabs of ribs. I've been using hickory or pecan chips.. I see good smoke coming from the unit throughout the cook (8-12hrs cooks so far), but minimal smoke flavor..I could cook in the oven easier for what I'm currently getting from my electric smoker.. I'm thinking the chips aren't cutting it for the larger pieces of meat and wondering if there's a way to use a cast iron pan and "wood chunks" in the electric smoker?? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance!!

Ok thanks.. How did you place the chunks near the burner? My tube like compartment where the wood chips go is not large enough to fit most chunks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky