New guy from OH, rank amateur but enjoying it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marriedman

Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
Dayton, OH
I finally decided to sign up for this forum since I am getting more and more interested in smoking foods. I've been "helping" my best friend smoke meats in his pull behind trailer smoker for years. But honestly that help was regulated to fetching us beers. Since I stopped drinking for the most part, I stopped doing that. That and the fact that we live 5 hours apart. But I missed his pulled pork and ribs, and my wife did as well. So we figured we would jump into smoking with an electric smoker.

I've had some lot's of "meh" results, a couple utter failures, and one true success. However, I will say that the utter failures were due to a POS Char-Broil electric smoker. I hate that smoker with a passion that is almost holy. The real catalyst to my signing up for the forum was I literally lucked into a Smokin-Tex 1400 this past weekend. I was fortunate enough to find one that a little old lady had in her garage and gave it away to her landscaper. He doesn't grill, (no, he didn't know it was a smoker) so he sold it to me for $160. The only issue is that it is missing the woodbox.

I've been trying to call Smokin Tex all morning, but the phone just rings busy. From what I can tell, Smokin-It and Tex are almost identical. I am curious if I can just buy Smokin-It's box and move forward. Mine has the all the grates and seafood tray, so I just need that box! I will buy the cold smoking plate, but I don't really know if I need anything other than that. Smoked cheese is going to hopefully be a regular occurrence!

Look forward to interacting with some vets.

Huh, quick easy update. Smoking Tex got back with me already. Looking like $65 shipped for the replacement box. Wish it were a little less, but hopefully it'll last a lifetime.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Good Morning, Welcome and a Big Howdy from East Texas and the Best Site on the Web

Gary

Welcome from Ohio!! You came to the right spot! Good peoplee here to help you along!

Welcome from up here in Sandusky! Funny, was just looking at used Smokin It and Texes on FBM and ebay. Nice score!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky