New guy from Northern Michigan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomCrump

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
I've been a grill guy for years, but I am new to smoking. My present cooker is a Dyna-Glo vertical offset, which has taught me a lot.

The biggest lesson learned, is that I have much to learn.

Recent cooks include a couple meat loafs, chuck roast and a full packer brisket. Ribs seem to pose the largest problems for me.

It's all fun, though. I love to tend the fire and the aroma of the smoke. I hope to learn a lot from the forum members, and to eventually be able to post a few useful suggestions.

One thing that I have learned, is that I enjoy smoking meat, and I will be doing this for years to come. To that end, I have a Yoder Wichita on order, with a promised delivery date of early September.

Attachments

• m_DSCN0774.jpg
    m_DSCN0774.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 13
Friendly Florida Welcome. Pull up a chair and understand you got it right. We ALL got a lot to learn. Its' an adventure......not a destination.

Thanks, guys. I've spent the evening enjoying the site.

oddegan, I'm from Traverse City.

TC is the home of cherry and apple orchards. My wife found an orchard owner that sells apple and cherry for smoking wood.

He promises delivery before my new smoker is scheduled to arrive.

We are also in the middle of orchard country. My wife's dad farmed apples and cherries for years. I have more fruit wood than I will ever be able to burn. That's a good thing!

The biggest lesson learned, is that I have much to learn.
One thing that I have learned, is that I enjoy smoking meat, and I will be doing this for years to come. To that end, I have a Yoder Wichita on order, with a promised delivery date of early September.
I think daveomak sums it up really well "When I got here I was a dummy...I learned quite a bit...I am still a dummy...only smarter.."

You have definitely got the disease by jumpig to the Yoder.
I'll probably never get there. Wife doesn't like my smoked meats.

Welcome to the site, glad to have ya join the fun.

Chris

Welcome fellow Michigander! Live downstate but cottage up your way (about 30 miles east on 72/612).

Thanks guys !

We used to live off of 612, on Crawford Lake. We live off of 72/31, now, just outside of Traverse City.

I'm looking forward to the Yoder. The waiting process is killing me. LOL

A couple chuck roast will go on the Dyna-Glo, this weekend. It'll help ease the pain. LOL

Reactions: Danno44
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky