• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New guy from Northern Michigan

TomCrump

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 11, 2019
I've been a grill guy for years, but I am new to smoking. My present cooker is a Dyna-Glo vertical offset, which has taught me a lot.

The biggest lesson learned, is that I have much to learn.

Recent cooks include a couple meat loafs, chuck roast and a full packer brisket. Ribs seem to pose the largest problems for me.

It's all fun, though. I love to tend the fire and the aroma of the smoke. I hope to learn a lot from the forum members, and to eventually be able to post a few useful suggestions.

One thing that I have learned, is that I enjoy smoking meat, and I will be doing this for years to come. To that end, I have a Yoder Wichita on order, with a promised delivery date of early September.

Attachments

drdon

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 20, 2012
Friendly Florida Welcome. Pull up a chair and understand you got it right. We ALL got a lot to learn. Its' an adventure......not a destination.

TomCrump

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 11, 2019
Thanks, guys. I've spent the evening enjoying the site.

oddegan, I'm from Traverse City.

TC is the home of cherry and apple orchards. My wife found an orchard owner that sells apple and cherry for smoking wood.

He promises delivery before my new smoker is scheduled to arrive.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Welcome to the party!! Post up pics when that new smoker arrives.

JCAP

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 12, 2019
Welcome welcome! It’s the best place to learn!

oddegan

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 27, 2017
We are also in the middle of orchard country. My wife's dad farmed apples and cherries for years. I have more fruit wood than I will ever be able to burn. That's a good thing!

Fueling Around

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
The biggest lesson learned, is that I have much to learn.
One thing that I have learned, is that I enjoy smoking meat, and I will be doing this for years to come. To that end, I have a Yoder Wichita on order, with a promised delivery date of early September.
I think daveomak sums it up really well "When I got here I was a dummy...I learned quite a bit...I am still a dummy...only smarter.."

You have definitely got the disease by jumpig to the Yoder.
I'll probably never get there. Wife doesn't like my smoked meats.

gmc2003

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Welcome to the site, glad to have ya join the fun.

Chris

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to SMF!
Glad to have you join us!
Al

martin1950

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 18, 2019
ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!! That's a mighty fine stick burner you've ordered. You're going to have to post a lot of pictures, have a lot of fun.
from Hartford. MI.

Danno44

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 8, 2018
Welcome fellow Michigander! Live downstate but cottage up your way (about 30 miles east on 72/612).

b-one

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 31, 2014
Welcome to SMF! I bet that Yoder will be awesome!

TomCrump

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 11, 2019
Thanks guys !

We used to live off of 612, on Crawford Lake. We live off of 72/31, now, just outside of Traverse City.

I'm looking forward to the Yoder. The waiting process is killing me. LOL

A couple chuck roast will go on the Dyna-Glo, this weekend. It'll help ease the pain. LOL

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.