New from Dahlonega Georgia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Capsaicin Burn

Original poster
Jan 6, 2018
Georgia
I am very new to smoking meat but I have always wanted to learn. Today I have some pork ribs on my MES 30" for my first smoke ever. I bought my smoker yesterday. I'm excited about it and I have a lot to learn.

One thing I can't seem to find information on besides terminology is proper usage of the top dial vent. I don't know what degree of open/closed to set it to. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Take this as an answer from another new guy but from everything I have read, 1/2 way is the most consistent answer. Many use the vent holes as access for their temp probes so they could not close them anyway.

I have a brand new MES 30" setting here beside the TV looking at me and if it ever gets above freezing up here I will be giving it a try also.

Good luck.

Note: If you have not checked it out, look at these threads: "Masterbuilt Smoker (Bear's Thoughts and Findings)" and also "Masterbuilt Smoker (Bear's step by step)"

Lots of good info there that will pertain to your smoker

Take this as an answer from another new guy but from everything I have read, 1/2 way is the most consistent answer. Many use the vent holes as access for their temp probes so they could not close them anyway.

I have a brand new MES 30" setting here beside the TV looking at me and if it ever gets above freezing up here I will be giving it a try also.

Good luck.

Note: If you have not checked it out, look at these threads: "Masterbuilt Smoker (Bear's Thoughts and Findings)" and also "Masterbuilt Smoker (Bear's step by step)"

Lots of good info there that will pertain to your smoker

Thanks for the information THW. What part of the world are you from? It's only 35 degrees here now. It was 18 degrees when I woke up. It will probably lengthen my smoking time but I had to do it.

I am very new to smoking meat but I have always wanted to learn. Today I have some pork ribs on my MES 30" for my first smoke ever. I bought my smoker yesterday. I'm excited about it and I have a lot to learn.

One thing I can't seem to find information on besides terminology is proper usage of the top dial vent. I don't know what degree of open/closed to set it to. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Top vent all the way open,you don't want stale smoke.
Ribs depends on what type you have,Spare Ribs.St Louis Cut,or Baby Backs
225* F for BB 2 hrs open 2 hrs foil 1 hr open again 2-2-1
225* F Spare & SLC 3-2-1
Richie

I went back and did as much checking as I could find and, being a newbie, of course, I was incorrect. Most everyone says wide open. A couple say half but the vast majority was open all the way. That was my first mistake in the last hour so I guess I am still doing good.

Good luck

Just a friendly word of advice get some Digital probes MES control panel & meat probe are not that good
Richie

Thanks for the information THW. What part of the world are you from? It's only 35 degrees here now. It was 18 degrees when I woke up. It will probably lengthen my smoking time but I had to do it.

I am from Indiana. It has been below freezing here for a good while now with the nights going well below zero and the days anywhere below 15 degrees or so. We are supposed to have a heat wave this Sunday with temps going above 32 degrees.

Ok, I have completed my first smoke ever. I cooked two racks of Spare Ribs and some corn on the cob. The high for today was 35 degrees and I pulled them off with an outside temp of 28 degrees. I know that had a little impact on cook time.

My ribs were pretty meaty so I was able to use a thermometer to monitor them. It took 6+ hours for them to reach 190 degrees. I wanted to wait a little longer but it got dark an hour and half before I pulled them.

I removed the membrane and coated them in a dry rub. They remained uncovered the entire cook time. They turned out "outstanding". They were juicy and loaded with flavor. Just the right amount of smoke as well. I added mesquite and apple wood chips every 45 mins or so for just under 3 hours.

I was beginning to get nervous at how long it took. They also stayed at 161 degrees for a couple hours and that concerned me. I read to not panic and let it go, so I did. I worried that my thermometer probe was not working properly and that it was positioned properly. All of my worries were for nothing.

My wife was also surprised and delighted at how it turned out. I am truly a complete Nube. She is a very experienced cook and let me handle this by myself since she wants me to run the smoker from now on. So, with all that said, I am HOOKED on smoking and I will be smoking more tomorrow.

All that I learned was from this forum. I say that like I learned a lot but I bought this smoker yesterday and joined the forum today so I have a lot more to learn. I did earn enough to smoke some amazing ribs. I know with the confidence I have gained today and the words of wisdom I have received I will get better and better.

I can't wait!

Reactions: THW
Sounds like it worked out really well for you. That has to be a good confidence builder which is a big part of doing most anything. I have a new MES 30" and have been trying to decide what to try first. I am thinking spare ribs would be my best bet to start with also. I watched a good youtube video that used the 3-2-1 method and will probably go that route. Also, my son, in Knoxville got a new Weber and when we were there he did the 3-2-1 method and it was wonderful.

I ordered and got the AMNPS pellet tray to will be using it rather than the wood chips.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks THW. Tomorrow I am going to smoke some sausage I had made for me that has a good portion of Carolina Reaper pepper powder in them. Today's first smoke did not contain any crazy spices but as you may suspect I like it HOT. I am going to also cook a smaller rack of beef ribs simply because I have them. I can only hope they turn out half as good as today's Spare Ribs.

Ideally, I like my ribs sticky, sweet and spicy so I thought about trying an hour or two in some foil next time just to get that thick coating of sauce on them. I guess that is the best way to get a good layer of sauce on them.

The 3-2-1 method seems like the right ratio based on what I experienced today but ultimately it seems that IT is the key to success.

Good luck to you as well!

Now it is my understanding that the BBQ sauce goes on for the last hour with the foil off. Is that the way you understand it?

Also do you use wood chips? I have got the AMNPS pellet tray too use instead of the Masterbuilt factory tray.

And yes, it is the Internal temp that really matters. Can't wait to try mine.

Now it is my understanding that the BBQ sauce goes on for the last hour with the foil off. Is that the way you understand it?

Also do you use wood chips? I have got the AMNPS pellet tray too use instead of the Masterbuilt factory tray.

And yes, it is the Internal temp that really matters. Can't wait to try mine.

I'm sure we will hear from the experts but I thought the sauce went on while wrapped and then the sauce "kind of" caramelized with the wrap off (or open) for the last hour.

I do use wood chips. I used mesquite and apple wood chips combined with the factory tray on the Spare Ribs and did NOT use any water. I got a good amount of smoke and flavor with them. I am open to new smoke options though. I look forward to hearing how your pellet tray worked. I like a LOT of smoke flavor but my wife likes it medium.

I don't know if it would be wrong but from what I have read, the 2 hour slot with the ribs tightly wrapped in foil is to hold in moisture to tenderize the meat and get that fall off the bone results. Then the BBQ sauce is added during the last hour sometimes 30 minutes before they are done. Just do some checking on it and you will be fine.

This is Bear's thread which has a lot of info in it. You can check on different meats and methods by just looking them up on the step by step list. He uses the MES 40's.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bears-step-by-step-index.159333/#post_1149932

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum!
As said above, exhaust vent open all the way, all the time.
Unless the meat is in foil & you are not using any smoke, then you can close it all the way to keep the heat in.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky